• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Caliper Swap

dirtdog

hi. first of all, thanks for taking your precious time to help out a fellow 205er in need of help

i've got brakes made of wood. the slides have bent and i've heard this is common with the 1.6 brakes(probably made worse in my case cause its a heavy derv)

i'm a lazy so and so, i cant be bothered finding and fitting new slides so i went looking for new calipers. and to my suprise i found out that mi16 calipers are a few bob cheaper than the gti1600 ones

i remember hearing from someone somewere about fitting the mi16 calipers to 1600 hubs. has anyone done this with success? do i need to change my discs..im guessing the MI discs are taller & wider also

i think i recall something about having the mounting surface milled off by..1.6mm if my memory serves me well. if anyone can confirm this for me that'd be great, i dont really wanna buy them..chop bits off and then the wont fit.lol

thanks again guys/gals/things

welshpug

they only fit onto 1900/base model hubs with 306 2.0 266mm discs unfortunately.

Mi16 calipers are the same as the 306 S16, but the 405 uses a very small offset disc and hub, quite the opposite to the large offset of the 1.6 gti disc.

pug_ham

He doesn't have a 1.6 GTi but a diesel 205 (STDT afaik) which already has base model hubs so they shoud fit straight on with the correct bolts.

Reading the post properly would save a lot of trouble.

Graham.

welshpug

all the mentions of the 1600 brakes made me think it was a 1600.

pug_ham
all the mentions of the 1600 brakes made me think it was a 1600.

But straight after that it mentions being a heavy derv & the STDT has 1.6 GTi Bendix calipers fitted with 1.9 GTi vented discs.

Graham.

welshpug

and the title?? -

Caliper Swap, mi onto 1600hubs

pug_ham

Maybe, but the STDT doesn't have 1600 hubs anyway so dirtdog might've been confused because its got 1600 calipers.

Guess we'll have to wait until he replies again.

Graham.

dirtdog

sorry for confusion guys, just me getting mixed up i guess. i just assumed if i had 16 brakes it had the hubs too but nevermind

yes it is a STDT. so...if i buy calipers and take them to be skimmed down (blah blah)they should bolt on? then i fit the 266mm disc and away i go?

welshpug

If you have the Mi16 calipers, all you need is 266mm discs from a 306, and possibly longer hoses.

no idea what you mean by getting the caliper skimmed though, they bolt straight on.

dirtdog

i read a topic here before..i cant find it now. ..the name henry yorke springs to mind but i cant be sure...i was overcome with excitment when i heard they give better brake results than the expensive big brake conversion, my mind went blank.lol

i think i recal someone mentioning that you gotta take some off the mounting surface for the disc to sit in the caliper correct.

but honestly..i dont have a clue about this mechanics stuff.i pay to have it done and thats about it.lol

thanks for the info

pug_ham

I think the topic you are thinking of was maxi's where I mentioned that Henry Yorke knew of Neal @ DES fitting 405 Mi brakes onto the 1.6 hubs on one of his cars & the brakes were better than when he had 283mm brakes on previously.

The first big thing to do here though is stop before you buy anything. The 405 yokes needed to fit the Mi calipers they won't fit the 205 hubs wiithout grinding some of the yoke away so it clears the 205 hub.

I've just tried it & they don't fit straight on without any work. Also they have a larger piston which with the 19mm STDT mc will give a longer pedal travel. (52mm iirc)

Some people have said that with the 52mm pistons on a 20.6mm GTi mc the pedal is long so with the 19mm mc it might be unsafe.

Graham.

dirtdog

;) ok.what are the yokes?

thats the least of my worries then, if the pedal travel and braking is gonna be dangerous.

honestly..im doin quite a lot of work to the car anyway. the brakes are totally shot at the moment so im getting a full new system to be sure. its not bein raced or anything i just want to toughen it up like

i know im goin a little off topic here for a second, but im hopefully going to get a new refurb beam from 1.9 so i can have discs(maybe run gti6 calipers or something)...possibly the mi front brakes. what would be a suitable M/C? could i use bigger than 20.6mm or would that also cause problems? otherwise im going to have to change the hubs and put 1.9 stuff on i guess

welshpug

if its a Diesel/TD and runs Base model Hubs they are the same offset as the 1.9 gti, so there is no need to change them.

the yoke is the cradle that the caliper bolts to, which in turn bolts to the hub carrier.

19gtigirlingcaliper.jpg

gti6, S16 and Mi16 brakes are similar in this respect.

the 1.6 gti/base model Bendix calipers don't have a yoke as the whole caliper is mounted directly to the hub carrier.

bendixbrakecaliper.jpg

if you want to run brake calipers with a larger piston (S16 and Mi16, 1.9 GTi) then it would be advisable to use a Larger master cylinder, either a normal 20.6mm gti size, or 22.2mm, or even larger 23.8mm.

dirtdog

sorry to post again but can i just confirm this-

i've got the same offset hubs as 1.9 gti..and i've got 1.9gti vented discs.

1.9 calipers will bolt STRAIGHT on?

thanks for the help again guys

pug_ham

Yes, base model hubs have the same offset as 1.9 hubs & the vented discs on the TD are the same ones as used on the 1.9 GTi.

The caliper will bolt straight onto the hubs as the caliper mounting bolt spacing is the same so they should fit straight on with no problems.

I haven't fitted them to mine but I think I remember other people doing this before without any issue.

Graham.

28CRAIG
Yes, base model hubs have the same offset as 1.9 hubs & the vented discs on the TD are the same ones as used on the 1.9 GTi.

The caliper will bolt straight onto the hubs as the caliper mounting bolt spacing is the same so they should fit straight on with no problems.

I haven't fitted them to mine but I think I remember other people doing this before without any issue.

Graham.

Correct i had the 266mm (306xsi) set up on my 1.6 using base model hubs and 1.6 shafts same as the stdt.

Sign in to follow this