• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Gearbox Input Shaft Oil Seal

swordfish210

Hi. In my constant, search and eradication process for oil leaks i'v decided that the input oil seal in the gearbox is leaking. I have to change a clutch soon (i'm replacing the Helix clutch that blew up on me) and i might as well do it whilst the gearbox is off. So does anyone know how would i go about changing it. Thanks. Mark

tom_m

un bolt the old one and bolt the new one on. 2 min job

swordfish210

wow, that makes my day a lot easier <_< thanks very much. Just one more question, any idea how much they cost (just a rough estimate) thanks. Mark

kyepan

erm... its not quite that simple on a be3 box, as the clutch fork gets in the way, you'll need to remove the pin/stud holding in the top of the clutch fork arm (where the cable attaches) then slide that off the top of the clutch fork, then remove the clutch fork. Whilst being very very very careful not to break the two plastic locating lugs at either end of the fork.

Then it's only 3 bolts to change the seal.

The old knackered oil degraded plastic bits end locating things on my clutch fork broke almost instantly, when trying to remove the pin from the clutch arm, after a huge ammount of persuasion with my BFH, we opted to buy a new arm (together with plastic bits ) from pug for 30 ish quid, and cut the old one in half with an angle grinder. There was simply no way of removing it without risking damage to the box from a slightly misplaced BFH attempt.

anyhow, it sounds like the be1 boxes are a bit easier to do.

ps whilst you're there, get a flywheel end crank shaft oil seal, takes 2 mins to change once the flywheel is off, chances are it's (like mine was at the weekend) pissing oil out on the back of the flywheel, down the side of the sump, up through the vents onto the side of the block.

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

tom_m

wait, i'm being an idiot you're talking about an ma box aren't you!

in which case my answer is i have no idea, sorry.

Edited by tom_m

swordfish210

Aye it is an MA gearbox (from an AX GTI to be specific) surrounding the input shaft is a metal plate being held to the bellhousing by 3 M6 bolts so it may just be like you said, unbolt the old one and replace.

swordfish210
ps whilst you're there, get a flywheel end crank shaft oil seal, takes 2 mins to change once the flywheel is off, chances are it's (like mine was at the weekend) pissing oil out on the back of the flywheel, down the side of the sump, up through the vents onto the side of the block.

Cheers

J

I replaced all of the oil seals in the engine when i rebuilt it and it's only done 1200 miles since then so i think i'll leave that one <_<

kyepan

ah my apologies, thought you were on about a be3 box, not an ma one. sorry.

swordfish210

nope my car is BE free :wacko::lol:

trogboy

Last time I bought one of these from the main stealers is set me back about £13.00 IIRC! Cha Ching!

Like Tom said - 2 min job once the box is off.

swordfish210

excellent, thanks guys thats just what i wanted to hear. I'v taken the box off of mine so many times now i can have it off in under 30 mins :wacko:

AdamP
excellent, thanks guys thats just what i wanted to hear. I'v taken the box off of mine so many times now i can have it off in under 30 mins :P

Me too... 3 times i've had it off there now, and I've only driven it 25 miles!! :blink:

Jrod

I'm on my 6th box change, 7th will be here soon. :(

Still take me about 45 mins to get it off, partly due to the fact I have to remove the sumpguard which takes ages, 7 bolts and all a c*nt to get to! :lol:

Edited by Jrod

Sign in to follow this