• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TKH

Hid/xenon

TKH

I was told by my local police today that retrofit HID/Xenon bulbs are illegal to fit to what were originally halogen headlamps. They informed me that the maximum fine for having these fitted on the first offence is a massive £2500.

I thought it all sounded a bit odd so I went home and looked this up. To my surprise yes indeed these were band since 1989. Probably the most relative sentence from the governments own documentation is "In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon.”

Nice of people selling these things letting you know there illegal don’t you thin, or not :o

projectpug

Its mainly because they arnt auto levelling like xenons from the factory are and have to be to pass the regulations and a mot for that matter.

tri_longer

I have asked numerous compaines on exactly this point and none of them will admit that they are in fact illegal unless they are self-levelling and have a wash facility.

If fitted from the factory these are already present so escape.

I nearly splashed out on a set until someone mentioned the legal issue. Of course it's all dependant on how bored your policeman is, techinally they shouldn't pass and MOT either but I am sure there are people on here who have got them through without any issue.

Ryan

99% of HID kits are cheap s*it from the far east (if you look, they're all the same three or four kits in different boxes), so they're not really going to care if they're illegal or not.

Edited by Ryan

CaptainK
I nearly splashed out on a set until someone mentioned the legal issue. Of course it's all dependant on how bored your policeman is, techinally they shouldn't pass and MOT either but I am sure there are people on here who have got them through without any issue.

I have them on my FTO and its passed two MOTs with them so far. I don't care if they are illegal or not, the hard core facts are that the standard FTO headlights are 5H1TE !!! You can't see anything at night with them (unless on full beam), so I deem my car a lot more safer with the HIDs installed and I don't care what some pen-pusher says about their legality. I mean I prefer to be able to drive my car at night and still be alive at the end then be dead, or worse kill someone else.

Did think about putting HIDs on my 205, but at the end of the day that has standard lights that are still better than my FTO with HIDs.

(can kinda get round the legalities of it on an FTO as HIDs were an option from factory and DIDN'T have self levelling or wash wipe - they're virtually identical to the aftermarket ones)

Edited by CaptainK

tri_longer
I have them on my FTO and its passed two MOTs with them so far. I don't care if they are illegal or not, the hard core facts are that the standard FTO headlights are 5H1TE !!! You can't see anything at night with them (unless on full beam), so I deem my car a lot more safer with the HIDs installed and I don't care what some pen-pusher says about their legality. I mean I prefer to be able to drive my car at night and still be alive at the end then be dead, or worse kill someone else.

Did think about putting HIDs on my 205, but at the end of the day that has standard lights that are still better than my FTO with HIDs.

(can kinda get round the legalities of it on an FTO as HIDs were an option from factory and DIDN'T have self levelling or wash wipe - they're virtually identical to the aftermarket ones)

Bit of a tricky one that, not really a lot you can do if your standard lights are bobbins anyway. I don't find my 205 lights to bad, in fact I find them better that the ones on my Octavia. It was the Octavia that prompted me to look into getting a set, and then when i discovered the potential problems.

CaptainK

^^ Yeah agreed, the 205 lights are so much better than other cars I've driven.

daveholman

Agree with the above, I fitted a new set of head lights with Ring Rally bulbs and they great, in conjunction with the OE drive lamps they do a fine job.

Ahl

I thought it was something like they were illegal under UK law, but type approved under european regulations, so its a bit quasi-legal?

S13Nick

my 205 lights are shockingly bad!!!!!!!!! cant see anything atall at night rather dangerous!

damien

ive had 2 MOT's on the 205 with HIDs on and never had a problem.

i think it depends on how picky they want to be, abit like the noise of a exhaust

Ahl
my 205 lights are shockingly bad!!!!!!!!! cant see anything atall at night rather dangerous!

Then theres something wrong there as 205 headlights are actually quite good.

Perhaps you should get some new headlights, the later shinier ones perhaps?

and check the alignment of the lights

and check the electrics, that you are getting full voltage at the bulb.

jim205GTI

Agree, the wiring to the headlights needs to be in good condition to get the best out of the lights. It's in a bit of an exposed place the wiring so is prone to corrosion which in turn means a current drop. :)

TKH
I thought it was something like they were illegal under UK law, but type approved under european regulations, so its a bit quasi-legal?

This web site has some interesting information on the legality of them http://hid.moonfruit.com/

DaveW

Fitting uprated blubs to the 205 lights makes them loads better, such as phillps 50%.

Sign in to follow this