• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lank

Turbocharging The S16 / Mi 16

Guest lank

Hi all, I have just rebuilt a 306 s16 which had a snapped cambelt, its running really well, 77k, so its a sound low mileage engine. Just wondering what the low down is on turbocharging these? Ive had a read on here, but havent really found anything that comprehensive on the subject.

I'd only be looking at running a low boost application, perhaps 0.5 bar or something, to maintain reliability. Any information i could gather would be great, the more i could get the easier it would make the project for me!

One point of interest to me is the exhasut manifold, i know you can buy one from DP engineering ( i think) although its quite a pricey bit of kit, about £700. any ways round this? Would be great if people could add to this thread to make it a quite complete read about the turbo conversion. ONce i start the project i'l begin another project thread documenting how i get on.

Thanks in advance.

number2301

Have you had a look at the rear mount turbo thread in general chat? Might suit your application.

cybernck

a used 405 T16 manifold could be had cheaper and it fits the S16 head straight on :lol:.

Bally

let me warn u . You always say low boost but then u get bitten by the bug. We have turboed and run a STD s16 up to 14 psi and the ring glands broke. So they are good up there.I presently am running the following. Mi16 STD low compression pistons from the cat engine. Full management . T16 manifold. Custom 3 inch downpipe. Made 230 wheel horsepower at 8 psi with a mild state of tune.

guffe
We have turboed and run a STD s16 up to 14 psi and the ring glands broke. So they are good up there.

Well... Boost doesn't break anything, detonation does. I think no one can say how much boost will specific engine will handle, it's again all about the engine management.

On the other hand there is no sense buying expensive management, getting it mapped (expensively also) and keeping rest of the engine stock. It might be and interresting test, but... :lol:

Guest lank

will loo0k into the rear mount turbo thread, thanks.

cyberneck, so a t16 inlet manifold fits the s16? how about the exhaust manifold? any cheap alternatives to the £700 DP engineering want? ( Was thinking about having a go welding something up myself..)

Bally, any more you could tell me about how you turbo'd your s16 (parts used, turbo used, ecu used etc etc.) would be great!

finally, guffe, you talk of detonation, i presume you mean preignition before tdc? is this hard to control once turbocharged, due to the higher tempertures inside the combustion chamber?

thanks all for your thoughts so far, keep em coming! like i said, once i start this, im going to make quite a comprehensive post. cheers

cybernck

i was talking about the exhaust manifold in the first place, but the inlet fits fine too.

it's really compact but for high-power application T16-guys switch to a GTI-6 one.

bally is also using a T16 exhaust manifold (as mentioned), T3 turbo (IIRC) and EFI management:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=80284 (pics)

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=77814 (some ideas)

you need a boost, wideband lambda (WBO2) and an exhaust gas temp (EGT) gauges and you'll be fine :D.

p.s. a T16 exhaust manifold has just appeared in For Sale section as it happens :blush:.

bobob

So with a T16 exhaust manifold and a gti6 inlet manifold, excluding the turbo, ecu and bigger injectors, what else would you need? Sounds quite tempting :D

welshpug

A T16 downpipe, or one to suit the turbo used.

cybernck

well, an intercooler for one and maybe a head-spacer-plate if you'd want to drop the C/R a bit.

but you must draw a line between moderate-power and full-on turbo conversion and,

at the same time, reasonably-expensive and very expensive one :angry:.

Sign in to follow this