• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Rear Caliper's Under Efficient

Kennyb

Hi guys,

just been mot station after doin my pads etc......everything fine but one thing that im not sure about.......basically he said the rear brakes (1.9) were under efficient????? Just put new pads in them......... and also one side had a new piston put in by local garage a few month back because i didn't have time to sort it.......that side also has the least efficiency??

How do i sort out the problem.....all calipers are working and there are no seized bits or leaking split rubbers..... :angry:

Also i noticed that when i got her home and jacked up arse end......... when handbrake was applied one side was holding alot better then the other......again the side that had least efficiency i could turn with my little finger????

megh.....not sure about this local garage lark :D .....probably would have saved time in first place by doin it by myself :(

Cheers

welshpug

it's quite likely to be a problem with the compensator, either it has gone open circuit on the opposite side, or seized closed on the weak side.

fresh un-bedded in pads can cause low readings on a brake tester, it takes a while to bed the rear pads in under normal driving, best way I have found is to find a quiet straight piece of road and pull the handbrake up whilst doing 30 (hold the button in) you don't need much force just enough for them to contact.

do that a few times and they'll bed in nicely.

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

Rear calipers can become lasy if they aren't used hard occasionally because they do so little work so it might not be the compensator at all.

It sounds like the one that was worked on & is causing the problems hasn't set itself correctly, it might need bleeding again to check for any trapped air in the caliper body.

One way I do this when I've fitted a new caliper that was empty is using the method from the 405 manual for bleeding the rear calipers.

With the pads removed from the caliper & the piston seated fully into the bore, bleed as normal. Pump the brake pedal a couple of times to push the piston out with a piece of wood between the pad guide to prevent pushing it right out, then open the bleed nipple & screw the piston back into the body.

Do this a couple of times & then refit everything & take it for a drive, braking hard a couple of times when you can safely do so.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this