• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mwilcock

Got My Car Back

mwilcock

xu10 j2te 2.0 8v petrol turbo out of citroen xm

as above got my car back today after the valve stem oil seals being done as it was smoking badly on tickover. this hasnt cured my problem? someone said because the engine has stood still for a while the rings can close onto the piston and stick???

i also connected all the proper turbo pipes to my manual boost controller however now as soon as it gets to just below 1 bar of boost it like feels like it cuts the boost pressure and looses all power???

i also noticed when the head was off that the pistons were flat topped? i thought the citroen xm turbo lumps were dished?

craig f90

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear your news.

I had the same symtoms as yours is showing. Unfortunately for me it was the turbo :( Im not saying this could be the cause for you, but smoking on idle and loss of power ring bells :) . It seems when the oil pressure builds up when accelerating and on a cold engine the oil is pushing the seals home. Only when it was up to near temp mine would smoke. And when id boot it no power.

I was Quoted £450+ vat by Matt @ QEP and my local peugeot dealer quoted me £1220 for a brand new turbo whilst he was sniggering down the phone, the muppet :lol: .

mwilcock
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear your news.

I had the same symtoms as yours is showing. Unfortunately for me it was the turbo :( Im not saying this could be the cause for you, but smoking on idle and loss of power ring bells :) . It seems when the oil pressure builds up when accelerating and on a cold engine the oil is pushing the seals home. Only when it was up to near temp mine would smoke. And when id boot it no power.

I was Quoted £450+ vat by Matt @ QEP and my local peugeot dealer quoted me £1220 for a brand new turbo whilst he was sniggering down the phone, the muppet :lol: .

mine starts doing it on idle at about 90 degrees.

although ive had the boost pipes off and left it to idle and its still smoked?

it only loses power just below 1 bar, i think this might have something to do with the bleed valve and map sensor though :(

craig f90

The top bit sounds similar. When i was sitting idling in traffic after driving for a bit it would smoke like mad. never from cold though. im not sure when the boost would fall as ive only had the booost gauge in after it smoked. It was never as good as it is now with another turbo. Another symptom was mayo for me. Thats cleared now too.

mwilcock

mayo in the header tank?

craig f90
mayo in the header tank?

Sorry, no in the oil filler breather resevoir. Im certain the mayo issue was related as i tried allsorts to cure it. but when i swapped the turbo and cleaned out all of the breathers it stopped???

mwilcock

im just wondering if im also connected this bleed valve up wrong

when i put the engine in and after it was nearly ready i realised that the boost control solenoid had a tube missing out the side (there should be 3) of it and one had snapped off.

this pipe someone correct me if im mistaken please goes to the turbo, it connects to the shell part of the turbo with a little nozzle sticking out, now when i found this HOLE obviously there was nothing there for a pipe to connect to, so i got a brake caliper nipple and got this to fit (it took a while).

now everytime i connect this pipe up it just blows it off???

is it in the right place? anyone have a clue what im doing wrong here because its boosting to 1.5bar and this will definatley blow my engine. it sometimes goes this far but has recently been tripping my map sensor since i got the car back???

sonofsam

I had overboosting once to 1.2bar, either my boost regulator solenoid (OE) was broken or I had plumbed it in wrong.

Got a new one and plumbed it in correctly (pretty sure I posted a link of how it should be connected in your last larger topic)

and it sorted it.

TBH sounds like you need a new one anyway, or fit a bleed valve/MBC and turn the boost down that way!

sounds of silence

sounds deffo like the turbo seals allowing oil into the exhaust

mwilcock

the pipe coming off the shell on the turbo isnt connected and evertime i try and connect it, it blows off no matter what i do.

i tried using a mbc and using the pipe coming off the boost pipe instead off the pipe from turbo but its now boosting at 0.3 bar lol

sounds of silence

you should have vac hose going to the turbo actuator and then to the mbc and the other side of it to the vac on the boost pipe if you dont connect up the actuator you will be running unregulated boost eg will boost right off the scale

mwilcock
you should have vac hose going to the turbo actuator and then to the mbc and the other side of it to the vac on the boost pipe if you dont connect up the actuator you will be running unregulated boost eg will boost right off the scale

yeah thats what ive done now, if i screw the mbc all way in i get silly boost and if i screw it out i get 0.3bar?

sounds of silence

ye mate thats spot on now you just really need to set it to what you want . About 12psi will be safe and not go into fuel cut ,

i would nt think this would fix the smoke tho i would think new turbo or recon unit

mwilcock

ive tried playing with it but its either 0.3bar of boost or 1.5bar of boost which cuts out

sounds of silence

when ur screwing it out or in you only need to do it a little at a time

mwilcock
when ur screwing it out or in you only need to do it a little at a time

a little i moved it like 1 turn and it went back to 1.5bar

sounds of silence

do you have the pipes going into the mbc correctly ?

mwilcock

i dont know mate, would that make a difference?

sounds of silence

yes mate will do , if it aint working that way put the vac pipes the other way round on the mbc then all should be fine :)

mwilcock

is it screw in(close the gap) for more boost or less?

sounds of silence

when putting it in you should get more boost if its a mbc

mwilcock

ill give it a go, thanks for that, appreciate it

sounds of silence

no pobs hpefully all good

mwilcock

:D

sorted it, it now spikes at 1 bar then quickly drops back to 0.9 bar.

it now flies and with the revs building up properly i had a little race

(private road obviously :( )

so off i went against an mr2 rev 2, id say just about stuck with him, he was getting away slightly but not very much.

so i pulled up next to him and said, " ere mate whats the running " and guess what he said.......

280bhp!

what the **** is mine running? lol

very happy chappy here :lol:

sounds of silence

lol good stuff mate

be in and around the 200bhp with 1 bar off boost

if you put a stiffer actuator on it like a cossy one it ll hold booost better instead of peaking then dropping off

dave

Sign in to follow this