• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Wishbone Bush Kit

Rich_p

Just before I order it will the wishbone bush replacement kit that pug sell be the same for the 205 and the 309? Or is it likely to be a different code for the 309?

Tom Fenton

Exactly the same.

pug_ham

There used to be a different part number for the 309 GTi kit but they aren't in production any more.

205 GTi kit is the same though like Tom said.

Graham.

Rich_p

Thanks Guys.

Just to check, are these fairly easy to change, I won't need to get the bushes pressed by machine or anything will I?

Edited by Rich_p

Alan_M
Thanks Guys.

Just to check, are these fairly easy to change, I won't need to get the bushes pressed by machine or anything will I?

Can be a pain in the arse.

I've got access to a press at work now so makes it dead easy but I have used a big vice and sockets to do it too.

Previous to that, it was hacksaw through the inner sleeve and outer sleeve (being careful not to go into the actual wishbone), then burn the rubber with a butane lamp or similarso the inner sleeve falls out (rubber gets burnt off). Then using a cold chisel and hammer deform the sleeve so that it falls out of the wishbone.

Not too hard but s*itty. You get a nasty headache from the burnt rubber ;)

jackherer

They're not that easy, but a press doesn't help either due to the shape of the wishbones, it makes them almost impossible to locate.

There are a few different techniques, the easiest is probably the one described by Superjosh involving a threaded rod to pull them in and out.

Tom Fenton

Getting them OUT with a press is a non-starter, so get your hammers and hacksaw at the ready.

However pressing them back IN is dead easy with a press. I've done about 4 sets on my press now.

Rich_p

Knackers,

I don't have access to a press or torch to burn them out! I don't even have a garage to work in ;)

I don't really want to fork out for new 309 arms though :(

pacey205

You dont need a torch to get them out. Drill several holes through the rubber until you can knock out the centre section, then you can hacksaw (carefully) through the outer metal sleeve making sure you dont cut into the wishbone. However you are definitely going to need a vice or something to press them back in. Is there not a local garage that might press them in for you maybe, if you take in the wishbone and new bushes it should really be more than a 10 minute job to whack them in.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

welshpug

I've never used a hacksaw to do 205 bushes, just remove the rubber by drilling/burning, then starting at the lip just smash the sleeve inwards with a chisel till it folds in half, takes Minutes.

If you haven't got access to a Vice or a press then you can fit the bushes by using a suitable socket that bears on the outer lip not the rubber centre and drive them in with a hammer .

(a decent ball-pein hammer is a must, decent weight and swing, claw hammers are useless in the garage/workshop environment)

Or using a similar method with the socket placed on the lip, draw the bush through with a piece of threaded rod/studding washers and Nuts.

You'll need a socket on the other side of the hole that is large enough for the sleeve of the bush to pass through as they do protrude out the other side.

Alan_M

You can buy the little butane torches for about £15-£20 in Halfords and B&Q etc. ;)

sonofsam

I remember Petert saying He uses a hole saw for drilling the rubber out, sounds a goer to me so that's my plan of attack this time around ;)

welshpug
I remember Petert saying He uses a hole saw for drilling the rubber out, sounds a goer to me so that's my plan of attack this time around ;)

genius lol!! never thought of trying that, probably need a pretty strong drill though as the rubber tends to grab when it gets warm.

Rippthrough
genius lol!! never thought of trying that, probably need a pretty strong drill though as the rubber tends to grab when it gets warm.

Nah, they piss through, like they were designed for the job.

sonofsam
Nah, they piss through, like they were designed for the job.

*snigger*

Picked my kit up today from the stealer, definately gone upto £20.07, still good value though!

monty69
Just before I order it will the wishbone bush replacement kit that pug sell be the same for the 205 and the 309? Or is it likely to be a different code for the 309?

They do a kit? I rang pug today and they quoted me £10 and £8odd each for the bushes plus vat. Forty quid!

pug309twin40s
They do a kit? I rang pug today and they quoted me £10 and £8odd each for the bushes plus vat. Forty quid!
thats what i paid couple weeks ago as was told they don't do sets.. Bxxxxxds...

d-9

ive asked a couple of different dealers and they both claim the kit isnt availible anymore, you have to buy the bushes seperatly at £40 or so

sonofsam
ive asked a couple of different dealers and they both claim the kit isnt availible anymore, you have to buy the bushes seperatly at £40 or so

Bought the kit last week, so unless it's been discontinued since then they are telling porkies!

Part no. 3599.07 @ £20.07 inc. VAT

Edited by sonofsam

Sign in to follow this