• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hardgraf

Be1 1.6 Gearbox With S16?

Hardgraf

Hello

I'm putting an S16 into my phase 1.5 1988 1.6 GTi. Will the be1 1.6 box couple fine with the S16? Also the box has done 140k so is it worth rebuilding before the conversion?

Also, is it advisable to use 1.9 driveshafts & hubs over the 1.6 items? The engine has been dynoed at 180bhp @ flywheel.

Thanks

Tom

pug_ham

The gearbox will fit fine on the engine but use the right release bearing to suit the clutch & your box.

I'd rebuild it before fitting it to the S16 if its done 140k & the power is being increased from ~115 to 180bhp at the fly & try to get a later casing which can take the Be3 clutch arm if yours hasn't got the blanks fitted to make it easier to fit the right release bearing.

Graham.

jackherer
I'd rebuild it before fitting it to the S16 if its done 140k & the power is being increased from ~115 to 180bhp

I agree, I tried to get away with a similar age box with a 160bhp Mi16 and the synchros lasted about two hours.

Miles

Check that the hole for the TDC sensor is in the box, being 88 it might not as there where some earlier late reg'd car's around that time

Hardgraf

great help, thanks

Sign in to follow this