• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

What Tyres To Wear Tomorrow

TaffyTim

Im off to Castle combe tomorrow and the weather reports are saying itll be dryish in the morning and wet in the afternoon.

I was keeping my fingers crossed for a scorcher of a day and only taking my R888's. Now im not sure. How do they perform in damp/wet conditions? Will i have to keep to the Parads, and pull the R888s out next month?

Edited by TaffyTim

daza4

What car you running then???

I will be helping out with the green 106 tomorrow. Come and say hello.

James_R

Without a doubt the 888's for wet or dry given that choice.

pdd144c

R888's are fine in the wet, just let the pressures down a tad.

VisaGTi16v

Yes 888's, I only have experience of 48r's but they are very similar and as long as there isnt tons of standing water, the 888's will be better than road tyres because of their softness even if you wouldnt think they would clear the water that well

TaffyTim

I wouldn't have thought that. That makes me happy :ph34r:

Daza4 I'll be in the Graphite Grey 205 Mi16. See you there.

The car is loaded now so this isnt an option for tomorrow, but would it be a good or bad idea to travel for 2 hours on the 888s there and back ? Would this shorten their lifetime too much?

Edited by TaffyTim

Jrod

Only problem is is you put some wear on them you could be driving back on very illegal tyres. (obviously this depends on how much life they have left in the first place)

VisaGTi16v

Depends what compound. I got about 15 sprints and 4-5000 road miles out of my Medium 48r's. Ok track days would have maimed them a lot quicker but gentle road use hardly does anything. If they are the softs or super soft (SG and GG iirc or something like that!) then perhaps keep them for the track only although they would be too soft for track days anyway. My Golf and Xsara owning friends that race get through a front pair of the SG's in about three 20 minute races

Sandy

One of my customers has just tried buffed Paradas on his race car (they have to run road tyres in his championship), he was 2 secs a lap slower than on Toyo T1Rs or Khumo Ecstas. Not impressed!

Jrod

I'm running Ecstas all round now and really like them. Quite soft so I wouldnt want to use them on anything really big but for £30~ a tyre I'm not complaining

Edited by Jrod

Henry Yorke
One of my customers has just tried buffed Paradas on his race car (they have to run road tyres in his championship), he was 2 secs a lap slower than on Toyo T1Rs or Khumo Ecstas. Not impressed!

Nice info Sandy. The only quantifiable fact I have seen for a while on the subjective area of tyres. Anyone got similar measures between T1R's and Proxis 4's and Eagle F1's?

I believe, any soft compound and road legal tyre will grip better than a road tyre on a damp / cold track due to the lower optimum operating temperature.

Again after the initial hype of Parada's and people "upgrading" from the old classic Eagle F1's to these, I haven't seen a positive post about them.

Alastairh

I beg to differ.

For a fast road tyre from day one i like them. I've seen T1'rs and F1s melt on the road on a warm day.

Yes there not as good as F1s in the wet, but i wouldn't say they are dangerous or unpredictable, and i drive a 275lb sprung large bar'd 205 daily.

The last set i had 16k out of the fronts with my old GTi6 engine under the bonnet, which was far better than the T1R's i last had with an iron lump.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

James_R

The thing about parada's is they last out better, like 539's did compared to F1's, they have comparable grip but hold out better. For track use when time doens't matter for the money they're pretty good. for anything competative no.

TaffyTim

I was lucky with the weather on Friday as it didnt rain until I packed up to go home so i got full use out of the new tyres.

Using the R888s has been the best upgrade that I have made to the car as the extra grip is pretty amazing. Compared to my session at Castle Combe last month (on the Paradas) I seemed to be carrying about 10mph extra on most corners. If anyone is like me and is just getting in to track days then I'd highly recommend them or something similar.

To join in on the debate above I do like the Parada tyres but im not totally won over by them. For track use they have been fine, my use is non competitive so timing is not a big issue for me. A definite positive for them is that they did allow more track time by not overheating like the Proxies that I first used. As for road use I do like them. The dry grip is good and the wet grip isnt as bad as you expect, although there are better wet gripping tyres out there. Im not definitely buying another set though, but Im not ruling them out.

Rich_p

I have run F1's on my civic for a while now, prob is I only get about 6k out of the fronts.

Due t this have tried a pair of Parada 2's.

Wet grip is not even compareable, as soon as it is damp the paradas simply do not grip.

I still prefer the F1's in the dry to.

The Paradas do seem to be lasting better though.

I have yet to use them on track, I assume they will deal with heat better than the F1s which do not like it at all.

I will not be putting The yokos on the 309 for track use, I think I will have to spend the extra and get some 888's or similar.

VisaGTi16v

The F1's are accepted as being just about the best list 1a tyre in the wet and right up there for the dry. The problem is that due to the tread layout, they suffer from it scrubbing sideways on the track. The new F1 asymetrics are supposed to be even better and have a more conventional tread pattern so would be a good choice

Henry Yorke

I did Llandow this year (notoriously hard on tyres) with Proxis 4's on and found them to perform as well as the F1's once warm and not suffer from bad shoulder wear and tread smear. However the day was cooler than the previous year but both were dry. They have seen to take a short while to bed in though, whereas the F1's seemed much better from the start

Sign in to follow this