• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shooter mcgavin

Raised Bonnet

shooter mcgavin

since fitting the 6 lump few months ago i've been looking at ways to get more airflow over the engine

was thinking about rasing the bonnet at the back to let out some heat

see this done on loads of fords ect

is it just a case of sticking a few spacers inbetween the bonnet and the hindge

any pics

johnnyboy666

i remember reading a topic on this a while back, maybe worth a search?

shooter mcgavin

had a few goes in the search bar but nothing

Baz

Just undo the bolts at the back of the bonnet, and angle the hinges, re-tighten, should be able to get a bit of a raise on it. Plus you can take the rubber off the back edge of the bonnet to aid releasing heat/positive pressure. :ph34r:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205...nt=DSC00101.jpg

Edited by Baz

Jrod

I've read stuff about this actually increasing the tempature, I'm sure it was Sandy who posted it but I may be wrong.

welshpug

yep I'm sure I've heard that too, and it makes sense, why else would manufacturers seal the rear edge of the bonnet?

also quite dangerous to do if you ever happen to have an engine fire, the flames can come under the rear edge of the bonnet and into the scuttle panel area, where the ventilation for the cabin is.

timmsy19

plus on a wet day no matter how much your wipers are going you will have water spraying up all the time

Grim.Badger
also quite dangerous to do if you ever happen to have an engine fire, the flames can come under the rear edge of the bonnet and into the scuttle panel area, where the ventilation for the cabin is.

Exactly why that rubber strip is there and why the rear of the bonnet should not be raised, same goes for a fuel leak; the last thing you want is fuel or flames being sucked into the cabin because you've raised the bonnet :)

Baz

How is raising the bonnet going to cause flames to go into the cabin in the event of an engine bay fire?

How is raising the bonnet going to cause any more water to spray up, it's such a minimal difference to standard anyway...

Interesting that the bonnet temperatures were raised when the bonnet was raised, seems odd. Has anyone actually done anything with a 205 to see if it helps or not?

smighall

In theory unless you have an undertray air will actually be sucked in through lifting the back of the bonnet. This should still aid cooling in theory though as it's an extra flow of cool air through the bay.

Baz

Exactly, and again, in theory release any pressure build up in the engine bay that you'll also acquire without an undertray or raised bonnet.

1 FAT PUG

i did it on my mates civic and the engine ran alot cooler, also he said it seem`d to go alot better aswell, must have been the cold air flowing thrugh as induction kits like cold air better

Jrod
How is raising the bonnet going to cause flames to go into the cabin in the event of an engine bay fire?

How is raising the bonnet going to cause any more water to spray up, it's such a minimal difference to standard anyway...

Interesting that the bonnet temperatures were raised when the bonnet was raised, seems odd. Has anyone actually done anything with a 205 to see if it helps or not?

We did it and it made no difference to be honest except it looked like it didn't fit propely, dropped it back down when scrutineer told us we couldnt run without the seal at the back.

Edited by Jrod

weejimmy
We did it and it made no difference to be honest except it looked like it didn't fit propely, dropped it back down when scrutineer told us we couldnt run without the seal at the back.

i think its cause where it meets the glass its a high pressure area so dosent realy suck any air out but not high enough to push any real amount of air in either.

thats what im told bout my rx7 anyway

shooter mcgavin

ok so think this could be a bad idea now

defo not a lot of room in there for air to flow around

Grim.Badger

If you have an engine bay fire whilst driving the flames will flow backwards towards the car; if there is a gap at the back of the bonnet they will escape the bay here and potentially be sucked down into the scuttle panel where the intake for the cabin fan/air circulation is. Even if the flames don't reach you could be sucking in fumes and smoke.

welshpug

the MSA ruling forbidding it would be enough for me :lol:

Baz
If you have an engine bay fire whilst driving the flames will flow backwards towards the car; if there is a gap at the back of the bonnet they will escape the bay here and potentially be sucked down into the scuttle panel where the intake for the cabin fan/air circulation is. Even if the flames don't reach you could be sucking in fumes and smoke.

Ahh right, now i see where you're coming from, although i doubt it would come in the cabin rather than just lick up the screen etc where the nice oxygen is tbh...

Baz
the MSA ruling forbidding it would be enough for me :ph34r:

Why's that? What form of motorsport do you do?

Funny though, my grey 205 i posted earlier with a raised bonnet has passed MSA scrutineering a couple of times...

May have to be another question i ask my scrute friend when i see him.

Jrod
Why's that? What form of motorsport do you do?

Funny though, my grey 205 i posted earlier with a raised bonnet has passed MSA scrutineering a couple of times...

May have to be another question i ask my scrute friend when i see him.

I guess it just depends on the scrutineer. :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this