• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Which Lower Temp Thermostat For 205 Gti6 Conversion

M@tt

Just went at lunchtime to the motor factors up the road to get a few bits for my GTI6 conversion.

I asked about a lower temp thermostat as has been mentioned in other posts but didn't have much luck. The only one listed for the GTI6 was the normal 83 degrees one. There were serveal listed with a lower temp but he didn't have any in stock and would have to have been ordered seperately but there was no guarantee they would be right for the car

Does anyone know what model of car a suitabel one can be found for or if they have a part number that would be great.

any help apprecited

Matt

pug_ham

If you look at the back of the thermostat catalogue there should be a breakdown of the thermostat diamension so you can then pick another the same size but a different temp rating to fit instead.

Loking through service box the same thernostat for the GTi-6 is fitted to quite a few other Pug's & its the same as the XU7J4 / S16 to help widen your search.

Graham.

M@tt

cheers graham

although they all appear to be listed as 83 degrees maybe it isn't possible to get one, unless a different car manufacturer uses the same shape thermostat

also what temp one should we ideally be looking for something around 75 degrees? or lower?

daza4

Another idea to this is to drill a couple of small 3mm holes in the themostat so there is always a small amount of flow through the rad. I have this on mine but am yet to try it.

VisaGTi16v

You could always go into Halfrauds and accidentally go through the boxes of some Peugeot ones until you find a suitable one stamped with something in the low 70's but I don't condone that sort of behaviour..............

Or slightly more legal, find a local GSF branch, im sure they would be ok to go through some boxes for you

welshpug

don't go too low though, you'll lose power.

far better to make sure the cooling system maintains a good temp rather than running it too cold.

whizzer71
You could always go into Halfrauds and accidentally go through the boxes of some Peugeot ones until you find a suitable one stamped with something in the low 70's but I don't condone that sort of behaviour..............

Dont you mean "Halfwits" ?

Edited by whizzer71

C_W
Another idea to this is to drill a couple of small 3mm holes in the themostat so there is always a small amount of flow through the rad. I have this on mine but am yet to try it.

I wouldn't do this, I havein the past and it basically means the thermostat is an unknown quantity from then on in that it will overcool in winter and possible never warm up at all or make not much different in summer.

I've run a 72 (or poss a 75) degree thermostat for about 6 years now without problems.

daza4
I wouldn't do this, I havein the past and it basically means the thermostat is an unknown quantity from then on in that it will overcool in winter and possible never warm up at all or make not much different in summer.

I've run a 72 (or poss a 75) degree thermostat for about 6 years now without problems.

Mine is a track car so its not used over the winter and during the summer it will be used to its full extent!!!!

I will see how I get on. It was a recomendation from our race car engine builder so I thought I might try it on my road car, although running a lower temperature thermostat seems to make more sense now for a road car.

Matt let us know if you manage to find a lower temp peugeot thermostat what part numbers it was and what make of car it is for.

I have a couple of different thermostats at home that are different ranges I will double check what they are.

taylorspug

Ive got a 75 degree thermostat in my GTI-6. Took a while to find down at my factors, but they just cross referenced the type of 'stat with the temperature and found a suitable one. It works well, keeps bang on 75 degrees under normal driving, then rises to about 80 with my toe down.

I will get the number from it for all of you seeing as i kept the box it came in for just this reason (although this will only be the manufacturers code), but from memory it came from an older XU engined car, like a 505. :ph34r:

jackherer
an older XU engined car, like a 505. :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure there were no XU engined 505s because we'd have been nicking their drivetrains and making RWD toys...

M@tt

dan looks like you might be right pal, i've just had a look on Quinton Hazells online catalogue Q-PID Live!(very useful :ph34r:http://www9.qha.com/uk/technical/catalogues.htm)

and the 504 2.0i lists a thermostat rated at 75 degreest and has very similar dimensions to the 306 one.

heres a pic of the 2

306thermostat-1.png

504thermostat.png

the flange is slightly larger than the 306 one (2mm) so will have to see if it will fit in the hole successfully

the online thing even has the equivalent peugeot part number as well as other manufacturers part numbers (eg motaquip etc)

Edited by M@tt

taylorspug

All i had to do was grind a tiny tab off the outer diameter to get mine in the housing. It doesnt have the big collar thing on it either, so the one you have pictured doesnt look like the part i have.

The only other difference was the actual hole for the water to flow through was a bit smaller than the '6 thermostat, but it was no smaller than the pipe that runs down the back of the block, so i doubt it causes a flow obstruction. Its been in there a few weeks now and ive had no problems anyway.

taylorspug

Matt, try QTH222, its for a 504 and may be the right one. Mine is exactly 75 degrees, and i seem to remember a '5' being in the car model number it came from. Ive just got that from the online catalogue, so no picture.

M@tt

Nice one dan

sorry i edited my origianl post as i realised that the inital 306 pic i posted was wrong it was for a 2.0 8v not 16v and therefore the other thermostat wasn't near it in dimesions. I then found the same one as you mentioned and put that up instead :)

I've just ordered one of those QTH222 but they could only get me one made by Gates and will cost £10.40. sound about right? will be picking it up tomorrow

Edited by M@tt

gizzmo

could you post a few contact details as i would also like to order one many thanks, :D

taylorspug
Nice one dan

sorry i edited my origianl post as i realised that the inital 306 pic i posted was wrong it was for a 2.0 8v not 16v and therefore the other thermostat wasn't near it in dimesions. I then found the same one as you mentioned and put that up instead ;)

I've just ordered one of those QTH222 but they could only get me one made by Gates and will cost £10.40. sound about right? will be picking it up tomorrow

Matt,

To confirm after looking at the packaging for mine, its stated as equivalent to QTH222, so that is the correct one. :D

M@tt

nice one dan :D

gizzmo, i should have said i've just orderd one from my local motorfactors as they didn't have any in stock, if you just pop to your local motorfactors and ask them for a 75 degree thermostat for a peugeot 504 2.0i say Quinton Hazell make them and the part number is QTH222 and they should have no probs in getting you one, HTH

Edited by M@tt

maxi

Just out of interest, why do you want a lower temp thermostat???? A lot of engines do not become efficient or make max power unless they are up to 90-100. Just wondered what the idea was? I was recently chatting to Nick @ QEP and he said they got another 11BHP (could have been more thinking about it) just by changing the thermostat in a tuned XE lump to a higher temp version.

The only required item for a GTi6 conversion is a 20psi cap for the header tank.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

M@tt

well i was fitting it based on other peoples conversions experiences, your self included :D

The XU10J4RS seems to be a very fussy engine when it comes to cooling. They all suffer with head gaskett failure and they all run extremely warm, something I dont like at all. My 306 is regularly right up near the red on the gague, something I dont like at all.

One thing many people miss when doing this conversion is that the 306 coolant system runs at a much higher pressure and if your header tank cap is very slightly weak, it will be highlighted straight away. I discovered this quite a while ago and always run the higher pressure caps which are readily avaliableat my local factors.

Another factor is that these engines are a nightmare to bleed, especially when in a 205. You think all the air is out but there is still a bit lurking in there.

Your solution is in upgrading the coolant system to suit the new engine.

1. Lower temp stat

2. Make sure its well bled with as many bleed points as poss

3. Uprated cap to cope with the higher pressure

4. I run twin fans with the speed restriction capacitor cut out (when the fans come on, they are on flat out)

5. Have a slightly lower fan switch

6. Make sure you run anti freeze. Not only does it stop the coolant freezing up in winter, prevent corrosion internally but also quite a high concentrate will keep the engine running cooler.

I really believe that the higher running temp has lot to answer for with the regular failure of head gasketts on these engines. I believe if the temp can be kept down slightly you wont have this ejaculation problem and your gaskett will last longer. I am going to re-plumb both my 205's slightly differently as I think things arent being helped with this T piece malarkee.

Maxi

i've got the uprated pressure cap as well

maxi
well i was fitting it based on other peoples conversions experiences, your self included :D

i've got the uprated pressure cap as well

Point taken, but 75 degrees seems a bit too low to me. I run a std thermostat in my 205 gti6 (tuned high power one) and the laptop shows it hovers between 87 and 92 degrees. I just think maybe 75 degrees might be a little too low.

Maxi

M@tt

cool

well i'll get one just in case, what i might do then is run it as it is with the normal thermostat and then if i find its getting a bit too hot try swapping it for the lower one.

cheers for your response

maxi
cool

well i'll get one just in case, what i might do then is run it as it is with the normal thermostat and then if i find its getting a bit too hot try swapping it for the lower one.

cheers for your response

Sounds like a sensible idea mate! One thing I have discovered is they are a NIGHTMARE to bleed. Literally I must bleed them for 20mins when they are in the 205, both through the heater matrix hose and the allen key point on the thermostat housing. Also, try not to go by the gague in the car. Mine reads nearly 110 when the fan cuts in, yet its a 92 degree switch and the laptop (omex ECU) backs up that at 92 degrees exactly the fan cuts in.

Bit of care and time and it will be fine.

Maxi

Sign in to follow this