• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dazEmad

Protective Sponge/foam For Rollcage

dazEmad

Hi Anyone know of any places in south yorkshire where i can pick up some protective sponge/foam for my rollcage.

Thanks

Tom Fenton

I don't know of anywhere locally, you'll have to order it I think.

M@tt

Phil/Rippthrough might know as him and Ed build all those rally/offroader cars so they must use it

TT205

Might seem an odd thing to say - but do you actually need any?

My seat is a bit lowered but there is no danger of me cracking my head on the cage

M@tt

or what about some copper pipe lagging from Focus/B&Q or the like and a few zip ties to hold it on thats got to be dead cheap

Tom Fenton
or what about some copper pipe lagging from Focus/B&Q or the like and a few zip ties to hold it on thats got to be dead cheap

Cheap, yes; up to the job, unfortunately not.

You may as well not bother fitting anything than fit this stuff.

M@tt

surely smashign your face into a bit of foam first(albit it cheap and quite squishy) then a hard metal bar has got to be slightly better than directly into the bar :unsure:

dazEmad

cheers for you help i will possibly have to order it unless there is some available at the french car show.

Craigb
Cheap, yes; up to the job, unfortunately not.

You may as well not bother fitting anything than fit this stuff.

The stuff from rally design at the top of the thread is no better than lagging from a DIY place .

If you are running without a helmet , the padding just makes banging your head a little less painful, it offers little or no structural protection to your head.

If you are using a helmet , the FIA stuff from demon tweeks works by absorbing an impact in a heavy accident. This will still damage your helmet , but spread the impact area. If not using a helmet this stuff hurts your head if you nut by accident.

I would say that DIY lagging is used on 80% of all the club cars i have seen competing .

Edited by Craigb

AdamP
The stuff from rally design at the top of the thread is no better than lagging from a DIY place .

Apart from the fact that it's fire proof and therefore MSA approved....

Craigb
Apart from the fact that it's fire proof and therefore MSA approved....

granted , but no better at doing its main function .

Another example of MSA incompetence, in my opinion , but Hey I'm not bitter or twisted by my dealings with MSA , But that's another story :unsure:

jackherer
granted , but no better at doing its main function .

The stuff I got from rally design has an offset hole so one side has far more padding, its also subjectively much denser than pipe lagging.

Jrod

We originally used water pipe lagging from B&Q and when we rolled (with no helmets) it didn't hurt at all.

I'd use B&Q stuff rather than nothing but now we are using the one like from RD which has the offset hole, alot more padding on your side which is nice.

Rippthrough

You'll know the proper stuff when you feel it as it feels really hard and keeps an imprint, because that way it can absorb energy, far better than cheap pipe lagging. We've a load on the shelf but there's 3 frames to do yet, if there's any left over I'll let you know.

Otherwise, milner's should be able to help you out, we buy small lengths from them when we need to replace a bit.

AdamP

BTW I've got that stuff from Rally design and it is quite obviously proper cage padding. Although quite thin it is made of the proper material, not the funny springy foamy stuff that ordinary pipe lagging is made from. Its the same material as their other stuff but isn't thicker on the one side.

kyepan

Is it a good idea to cage a car that does not have full harness belts, when you crash do the three point hold you in place and potentially away from the cage?

In the event of fire, is the DIY stuff just normal polyuritane foam that burns readily, giving off cyanide, amongst other nasty things? Would have thought the FIA stuff would have to meet some minimum fire regulations?

does anyone on here who tracks their car have a plumbed in extinguisher system for either engine bay or cabin?

After that nasty shunt/fireball in the british fia not long ago these things worry me alot more.

Tom Fenton

In answer to the above; my track car has the seats mounted sufficiently low to keep my head away from the cage. To do this and get the seats straight needed some fairly major surgery to the floor. It has 6 point Willans harnesses. It also has a plumbed in extinguisher with one nozzle pointing at the fuel rail area of the engine, and one at my feet. I need to get a third nozzle really to allow for the passengers feet too.

I could do with some proper padding really for the door bar and front leg to protect my knees/feet, at the moment there is none.

AdamP

I wouldn't use a rollcage without full harnesses in the same way that I wouldn't use harnesses without a rollcage. Harness without rollcage = you crushed, rollcage without harness = you smacked by different parts of the cage in turn.

The ordinary insulating foam that is sold in B&Q is as flammable as any ordinary plastic and will, as you said, give off some nasty fumes when burnt! But the foam in the motorsport specific padding is flame proof or at least flame retardent. I've got some of both at home so i'll set light to small pieces of each of them in turn and video the outcome.

pdd144c

We have some for sale in our ebay shop.

Sign in to follow this