• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Hose Clips (jubilee Etc)

GLPoomobile

I'm probably going to replace all my coolant and oil/breather hoses wit silicone hoses soon, so I was just trying to work out what hose clips I'm going to need (I'd rather renew everything than re-use manky old clips).

I've looked at various different types/brands of clips, and I was going to order from Car Builder Solutions as there's a few things I need from them, but the SS clips they do are quite pricey. I really would rather go for SS clips rather than Zinc plated mild steel, so does anyone have any good tips about where to get some really decent quality clips that won't break the bank? VWP stainless steel clips seem good value, but maybe that is at the expense of quality :unsure:

VWP clips

I've also tried to work out the quantity and size I'll need by going through Servicebox and the Baker BM site (this is for a 205 Mi16 by the way) and I think this is what I need.....

Water pipes:

Lower Rad to metal pipe – 2 x 25-47mm

Metal to lower engine pipe – 2 x 25-47mm

Top heater matrix pipe – 1 x 12-22mm & 1x 25-47mm

Top left expansion tank pipe – 2 x 7-11mm

Top right expansion tank pipe – 2 x 12-22mm

Lower expansion tank pipe – 2 x 25-47mm

Lower heater matrix pipe - 1 x 12-22mm & 1x 25-47mm

Top radiator to thermostat pipe – 2 x 25-47mm

Top heater rail pipe – 2 x 25-47mm

Lower heater rail pipe – 2 x 25-47mm

Total – 12 x 25-47mm, 4 x 12-22mm, 2 x 7-11mm

Oil/breather pipes:

4 x 25-47mm

2 x 12-22mm

Does that look correct?

jeremy

IIRC Aldi are doing loads of jubilee clips for £4.99 this wee, it maybe worth a look if you have one near you. I hace no idea of the quality.

welshpug

Aldi ones are crap, I tried some.

the SS ones are worth getting due to the exposed nature of a 205's engine bay, the ones shown on VWP are good.

make sure you get the right size so that you don't have to wind them down loads to tighten them up as the radius under the shoulder/worm drive.

Rob Thomson

Funnily enough I ordered a load of SS Tridon clips from here yesterday.

Random site I found on Google, but the clips are excellent quality IMHO.

Tom Fenton

I've had mixed results with stainless hose clips in the past.

I now use genuine Jubilee zinc plated clips, with a bit of silicone grease applied before fitting.

MerlinGTI

the ones wurth supply are good :unsure: bound to be pricy though.

GLPoomobile
Funnily enough I ordered a load of SS Tridon clips from here yesterday.

Random site I found on Google, but the clips are excellent quality IMHO.

Yeah, I was looking at that site, and those Tridon clips last night Rob :unsure:

Tom - where do you spray the silicone grease? On the worm drive to make it move smoothly, or on the hose to ease the clip up tight without chafing it?

jackherer

I got a few sets of genuine Jubilee SS clips when Perfectopug did a group buy a few years ago, they're still in very good condition and they've obviously been undone loads of times as they are fitted to 205s...

There is a diagram of Mi16 coolant plumbing that gets posted every now and then that was drawn by Perfectopug, its always referred to when people want to know how to plumb their Mi16 but James made it so he could work out the sizes and numbers of jubilee rings for the group buy and I believe the sizes are shown on it.

jeremy
I got a few sets of genuine Jubilee SS clips when Perfectopug did a group buy a few years ago, they're still in very good condition and they've obviously been undone loads of times as they are fitted to 205s...

There is a diagram of Mi16 coolant plumbing that gets posted every now and then that was drawn by Perfectopug, its always referred to when people want to know how to plumb their Mi16 but James made it so he could work out the sizes and numbers of jubilee rings for the group buy and I believe the sizes are shown on it.

Going off on a complete tangent what happened to James btw?

jackherer
Going off on a complete tangent what happened to James btw?

Apart from anything else I suspect he avoids this place as he still owes me an Mi16 engine after totalling a car of mine on track.

Tom Fenton
Tom - where do you spray the silicone grease? On the worm drive to make it move smoothly, or on the hose to ease the clip up tight without chafing it?

Mainly on the worm drive to make it do up nicely, and also to give it half a chance of undoing again in the future.

If you really want to be flash then there are also Mikalor clamps, but these really are dear!

Rippthrough

I tend to buy Mikalor these days, as lately the genuine Jubilee clips have had a tendancy to slip before they sealed the hoses, they must have changed something on the tooth profile or the coatings.

Rob Thomson

Just thought I'd add that my Tridon clips turned up in the post today. Top marks to Stagonset for next day delivery, and the clips are as good as ever. I've used these clips whenever I can in the past, usually buying them from bike dealers. They're so much better than the clips you'll find in Halfords etc, really nicely finished.

GLPoomobile

I keep looking at those Tridon ones but I'm just not convinced by them, even with your recommendation Rob B) I think I'll just go with the VWP ones, as they look much meatier in the picture that the Tridon ones and are cheaper.

It's a shame though as I'm going to order some M10 studding, nuts and washers from Stagonset to do my w/b bushes, so I was hoping to get the hose clips from the too. I did think I might just bight the bullet and get their JCS Hi-grip ones but the full set came to £40 odd quid :wacko:

So it looks like it's VWP to the rescue again. Just have to think of some other stuff to get at te same time to justify the postage :angry:

Ethos

I got some halfords ones, not that impressed.... they slip if you do them up with a socket.

I found the best way to do them is to tighten them up with a screwdriver instead if possible, I think the socket way over tightens them.

Rob Thomson

I guess that depends how hard you turn the socket... You really shouldn't have to do them up that tightly. Only takes a gentle nip to stop them leaking.

I find the hex is useful because it allows you to reach awkward clips with a few long extension bars and UJ on the socket set.

sonofsam

Flexible hose clip driver is a sweet tool, I find for reaching in, around, up, down and around corners :(

Absolute god send for when I was doing my boost piping :D

Ethos

Just to let you guys know, I had two water leaks when filling the mi16 today due to the halfords jubilee clips. Just couldn't get them tight enough without slipping.

Think I will re-read this thread and invest in some good ones I can trust.

Sign in to follow this