• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimistdt

Tuning A Xud7 T/k Engine. (stdt)

jimistdt

This is my first post, I have spent the last seven days reading various threads and I am astounded at the knowledge that is willingly shared on this site. I am hoping that some of it finds its way to me.

I have a 205 STDT. I like the car but I would like to increase the acceleration at lower engine speeds. As I understand it I have a couple of options, firstly a stage 1 tune up and secondly to fit an intercooler. I am more inclined to go with the first option as it is cheaper.

Has anybody any experience of shops that are capable of carrying the work out?

Cheers Jimi. :)

Tom Fenton

Its a pretty easy thing to do yourself, personally I first fit a boost gauge so you know what the turbo is doing, otherwise you are doing it "blind" which is not good.

After that on a non-intercooled car you are not going to see the big gains without fitting an intercooler, this is because as you wind up the boost the charge air becomes hotter and hence less dense, a law of decreasing returns.

After that it is a case of adjusting the diesel pump and winding the boost up. Easy enough to DIY, I've done a few 306's now.

pug_ham

Your STDT will very likely have a Lucas diesel pump which isn't much good for tuning even before any modifications such as fitting an intercooler. (Mine has & so the others I've seen).

IMO the best thing to do first is find a Bosch pump, intercooler & inlet manifold from the 405 1.7td engine which was produced up to 1994 before they swapped fully to using the 1.9td.

These will fit straight on & instantly give a jump in power to about 90bhp iirc.

Graham.

jimistdt
After that on a non-intercooled car you are not going to see the big gains without fitting an intercooler, this is because as you wind up the boost the charge air becomes hotter and hence less dense, a law of decreasing returns.

IMO the best thing to do first is find a Bosch pump, intercooler & inlet manifold from the 405 1.7td engine which was produced up to 1994 before they swapped fully to using the 1.9td.

Graham.

Looks like an intercooler is the way to go. Thanks for your help chaps. I will have a dig around the scrappys and see if I can turn anything up.

jimistdt

I have sourced an inlet manifold and an intercooler for £50. Is this a good price? I have had no luck sourcing a bosch pump yet, any ideas where I should be looking?

whizzer71
I have sourced an inlet manifold and an intercooler for £50. Is this a good price? I have had no luck sourcing a bosch pump yet, any ideas where I should be looking?

Scrap yards mate,theres normally an abundance of these about ! ,I would personally go for a Xantia DT inlet manifold and fit a custom front mount I/C a bit more work I will admit but then at least its going to get a good air flow through it instead of being sat on top of the hottest part of the car !

:P

weejimmy

i have sdtd too

can the bosh pump from a 1.9 td not be used too?

with injectors and pipes? cause i have one in garage

pug_ham

I'd have thought so but the fuelling might need adjusting for the 1.7td engine to cut the black smoke.

Jimi, you need the Bosch injectors & pipes along with a pump to fit them to your engine as they are different to the Lucas ones.

Graham.

jimistdt
i have sdtd too

with injectors and pipes? cause i have one in garage

Hey up Jimmy, how much would you be prepared to let me have the bits for, I might be up your neck of the woods early next month....

weejimmy

oooh a dont know about that like.

its actuly on ebay just now. :P

ive got a wee intercooler from a corsa td bout 6" x 12" you could have thoe.

Sign in to follow this