• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Project205

Steel Grey

Project205

Hi All,

Need your help, advice and opinions please.

I have had a new bonnet and wing sprayed at a very good body shop - Lotus/Porsche approved!

Anyway, I collected the parts from them on Sat, looked at them on Sunday and then realised the Steel Grey they have sprayed them does not match the car (by a long way).

Fortunatly I was able to see the original color of the car had not changed with age because I was half way through replacing the door grab black decal.

I have spoken to the bodyshop today and explained the situation. They have listened to what I had to say and asked that I provide them with the paint code again. I gave them the code which is stamped on the body on the right from the slam panel - MOTA.

What more can I do to help them get it right? I have looked at the paint code sheet on the forum and can see there is more than one shade of Steel Grey.

Before anyone suggests I give them the car to let them blend the paint in, this simply is not an option such is the difference in colour (the whole car would need spraying, otherwise I would have the front in one colour and the back in another). I gave them the original bonnet and wing - there was little wrong with them, just a couple of minor dings so as to give them a good guide for colour.

I am worried I am going to be stung with a massive bill!

Do you think they should offer to respray for free or should I expect to pay?

Have not discussed the cost implications yet.

Thanks.

Baz

Really they should've asked for the car also to match the colour, but if you asked for panels alone to be painted, that's what you got.

Probably better answered by Paintguy, but i'm not sure the 4 letter paintcode as on the slam panel is the full one, and there's definitely more than 1 shades of Miami blue for the same 4 letter paintcode.

Project205
Really they should've asked for the car also to match the colour, but if you asked for panels alone to be painted, that's what you got.

Probably better answered by Paintguy, but i'm not sure the 4 letter paintcode as on the slam panel is the full one, and there's definitely more than 1 shades of Miami blue for the same 4 letter paintcode.

I did give the bodyshop a bonnet and wing in the original colour to work with - is that not enough to go on?

The new bonnet and wing might as well be silver, such is the difference in colour.

They ordered new peugeot bonnet and wing hence had the originals to work with all the way through.

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows where I can find the definitive paint code for my car - MOTA is obviously not enough for the body shop to work with.

Paintguy

If you gave them panels that were the correct colour, then I would say they are at fault for not spraying them in the correct shade, so there should be no extra cost to you in my opinion. Sure having the car there might have helped, but since they didn't they should have identified the colour before starting any prep work on the panels.

Even if you had given them an incorrect code, they would have then noticed this when they checked the shade*. I know it's not easily done, but your best bet would be to (yet again) supply them with a panel in the correct colour/shade, and make sure they choose the right one before proceeding. Stand with them whilst they check if you can (tell them you need to take the 'extra' panel back with you).

* Most colours have various shades, and if they are a reputable 'shop, they should have a range of colour chips or spray out cards containing the different variants, These are checked against the original panel to ensure the correct match. They may just have taken the code you supplied and sprayed the panels in the 'standard' shade, which can often be a long way away from that which is needed.

If that fails, whoever supplies their paint ought to have access to a photo spectrometer, basically a fancy camera which analyses the original paintwork, and suggests the closest colour match. That could be used on part of your car that is the original colour, but that part may have to be sent away for analysis.

I hope that makes sense, as I've had a few! :)

Edited by Paintguy

jackherer
I did give the bodyshop a bonnet and wing in the original colour to work with - is that not enough to go on?

They ordered new peugeot bonnet and wing hence had the originals to work with all the way through.

I'd say you did all you could.

craig f90

Its as paintguy says. The body shop should have taken a look to see if there are variants of your particular colour using swatches or a spectrometer. You will find most repainted panels wont be 100% match without blending into adjacent panels, but white and black are not the same. :) I'd say that they are at fault there for you should not foot the extra cost. Again as paintguy says stand with them unit you are satisified that the shade is correct before you leave.

Good luck.

Project205

Thanks guys, most helpful. They still have the original panels so hopefully if I take back the new pannels they will retry!

mattmk1
Thanks guys, most helpful. They still have the original panels so hopefully if I take back the new pannels they will retry!

If you give the paint code as MOTA what you get is a colour called magnum grey. Its a good few shades darker than steel grey. Its what all the bodyshops have listed as MOTA. From experienece, the only way weve ever got the correct steel grey colour is to take the colour from the petrol filler cap and have it matched.

Magnum grey is a lovely colour though, tempted to use it when i respray mine.

pug_ham
If you give the paint code as MOTA what you get is a colour called magnum grey.

Taken from, the paint codes xls file;

Steel/Magnum M0TA/ M1TA 42683 986236

It appears Steel Grey & Magnum grey have a different paintcode (MOTA shoud be steel grey & M1TA is magnum grey) so a decent paint shop should be able to mix the proper colour.

Magnum grey is a lovely colour though, tempted to use it when i respray mine.

Magnum grey is the colour used on the STDT ( same as mine here).

Its not that far removed from Steel grey imo having seen it parked next to a proper Steel grey 205 GTi though.

I'll check the paint code on my STDT tomorrow & see which it has.

Graham.

Paintguy

As I've mentioned before though Graham, that only the last two letters of a Peugeot colour code is really relevant, in this case TA.

Having looked through the files of two different paint manufacturer, they both list it as Gris Magnum - Steel Grey, so I'd say they were both the same colour at heart. Lechler does have 6 different varients listed though, from Standard up to Light+Light (obviously a much lighter shade), which might account for the large variations of the colour.

toddydal

how much are you paying for the job because i dont think theres much chance of getting a edge to edge match on that colour unless the guy who does it picks the right shade what he thinks it is and he,s lucky and gets a perfect match,other wise youll have to take your car in and have the door and wing blended but its all down to cost

Sign in to follow this