• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Engine Won't Start!

Cameron

As a couple of people might know I've been building a project car with a Mi16 bottom end and GTi6 head, running on Emerald management. It's been up and running for about a week now and has been running quite nicely. However today I've been having mega problems today trying to get the thing started.

After running brilliantly all the way from Hatfield to Fleet yesterday, I went out to move the car this morning and it wouldn't start. It turned over, made a massive bang (backfire I hope) and then refused to go. I've been working on it since 10.30 and im fed up!

It just splutters a little, misfires and just will not start no matter what I do. So far I have:

Put 1/2 a tank of fuel in - no difference.

Bought a new coil - no difference.

Checked all the plugs for sparks - yes.

Done a compression test - 16 bar on all cylinders.

Pulled the fuel hose off the rail to check for fuel coming up - yes, lots.

Pulled the injectors and rail out - fuel comes out, but not much.. still probably normal.

Checked the cam timing - seems to be exactly right.

Played with the map, adjusting ignition and injection - does nothing.

Checked the coil supply voltage.

Cleaned the CPS

Its bloody ridiculous! I can't think of anything else!

All the sensors work ok, air temp is about 23 and water about 26 degrees, throttle pot works, crank position works.

Nothing has changed since yesterday, but now it just won't go. It won't rev up if you open the throttle, or at least not cleanly.

If anyone can suggest something that would be great because Im just completely out of ideas.

Tom Fenton

Give it a sniff of easystart and see if it goes then. That way you can discover if it is fuelling related or ignition related.

luggy

Good effort on the Mi Gti6 combo, been watching your progress avidly on the other forum. The only thing I can suggest is possibly the oil leakage from the breather issue you had may in some way be affecting the car starting? Might be an idea if you put a link to the other forum about your project so other members on here maybe able to shed some more light on possible issues?

Edited by luggy

welshpug

very odd if it has run previously, I've had a TPS cause a problem like this, when I was trying to find what was wrong unplugging the Coolant temp sensor made it better.

Edited by welshpug

Cameron

Well according to the live adjustments on the mapping software all the sensors seem to be running OK. The only thing I can think of is low fuel pressure. When I pulled the injectors out and cranked only a very tiny amount of fuel was coming out, I think with about 30 seconds of cranking only about 5ml came out between the lot of them. I've never done this test before though so that could well be normal. :)

I'll try getting some easystart tomorrow and see if it helps.

Here's the link should anyone want to get a bit more background info:

Clicky

Tom Fenton

Well that is your problem then. When cranking it over the should be definite "squirts" of fuel coming from the injector pairs in turn. With a good blast of easystart it will run I'd have said. Check your fuel pressure and go from there.

Cameron

OK, cheers for the help. Im just off to get some easystart and some new spark plugs.

I've changed the fuel pump for a known good one and it didn't help, so if I do have pressure problems then the most likely suspect is the regulator.

Cameron

I've just tried the easystart, it fired up for about a second then back to its usual antics.

I also fitted some new spark plugs and tested them but the sparks seem to be very weak, thinking about it they were the same yesterday. I've had much stronger sparks just with a single coil so surely a coil pack will be much stronger. I've checked the ECU main earth and its good, and also checked that the coil is getting a positive supply and it is. Im pretty stuck now so going to call up Dave from Emerald and get some help.

welshpug

what battery voltage have you got?

Cameron

About 13 volts, its hooked up to a charger.

Still no joy, Dave Walker said to increase the fuelling and I did, it seemed to make a difference but it still ran like a dog, misfiring and such.

I've just sent a plea to Emerald asking for them to have a look if I can get the car trailered up as Im now completely stuck. :o

Tom Fenton

If easystart made it run for a second or two then fuelling is the problem.

Get a gauge on it and check your fuel pressure for a start.

Cameron

Where can I get a gauge from though? I tried asking in CAF when I went to pick up the easystart but they didn't know.

Tom Fenton

What kind of fuel reg are you using? The standard one or an aftermarket one?

Any gauge with a suitable scale will do the trick, try your local hydraulics place, you want one with about 0-5bar range, get them to supply a hose tail with it, you will also need a t-piece.

Something such as ebay item no 350065189663 will do the trick.

Cameron

I did spot something in CAF while I was there, a foot pump for 2.98 :o I thought if I could make a gauge out of it then why not so bought one. The only thing is the spouts on the T piece are a bit too short to clamp a hose to and I've pretty much run out of steam to make a bodge.

Fuel reg is standard.

Cameron

Still no joy, have now replaced the fuel pressure reg but didn't help. Im taking it up to Emerald tomorrow. :)

Cameron

Sorted.. turned out to be this:

09062008452.jpg

:)

jim205GTI

Nice :wacko::rolleyes:

luggy
Sorted.. turned out to be this:

09062008452.jpg

:rolleyes:

What is it and what does it do?, apart from break.

pee vee

i'll be honest, i dont recognise that bit either :S

GLPoomobile

It's the doofery thingymebob that fits under the inlet manifold. It does............stuff. But it doesn't do that stuff quite as well when it's cracked in half by the looks of things!

Baz

Resonator box!

Cameron, post up your results in another thread, as i'm sure there's plenty of interested peeps that would love to see the graph etc. :rolleyes:

jackherer

Its a Helmholtz (sp?) resonator.

welshpug

DOH! one mutha of an airleak! have you replaced it or just bunged the hole?

Cameron

Just bunged it with a bit of alloy plate and some RTV. :rolleyes: Ill stick another thread up too. :wacko:

Sign in to follow this