• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_sport

Mi16 Wiring

Pug_sport

I am trying to find some sort of diagram for the wiring for an MI16 conversion on my 1.9gti.

I have got the 1900 mi engine and loom with the ecu that goes with it from a 405.

The problem is that i cant find out which bits i need to cut and link between the 2 looms.

Please Help!! Im driving my missus mad and i haven't started the work yet!!

:)

welshpug

the most helpful diagrams I can think of would be from Grim Badger's thread, "brown Multiplugs" would be a good search key.

the diagrams in the thread give you an idea of where to start, bear in mind that there are quite a few different arrangements of wiring used over the years, both on the 405 donor, and the 205, but the wires needed are always the same

(i.e permanent Live, switched live fuel pump feed etc)

Pug_sport

Are the connections all on the brown multiplug?

welshpug

I think nearly all are yes, I haven't done an Mi conversion myself, but the Motronic MP3.1 system I've fitted to my 205 only needed one wire to the Shunt box on the slam panel and the rest were connected to those 2 plugs under the dash, I cant imagine the Mi loom to be much different as it is Motronic after all.

Miles

There is page after page of info on this on the site, Not trying to have ago Welshpug but as you;ve said 'I haven't done an Mi conversion myself' and miss-guiding our Pug S,

The 205 loom basically differ in 2 way's, Phase 1 upto around 1988 then basically the same bar some part location's until the end, even the motronic fitted on the 205 is wired up in the same way,

The 405 loom's use 2 different types, the early 2 row and the later 3 row (The 1905cc ones), excluding the CAT versions but these are so rare it's not even worth talking about.

The basic's you need are the Live, switched live, Fuel Pump Feed and Tacho Output from the coil, the sensor's can be done in either 2 ways of removing them from you old 205 loom and fitting into the 405 loom or making up a new sensor loom which is best as the wires are all now becoming old with higher resistance, you;ll see if you ever cut the end of the wire off.

Just please do not make one of these crappy link loom's.

pug_ham
Just please do not make one of these crappy link loom's.

I agree, I can see no point in making more connections to fit the loom when its unlikely you'll every convert back to the original Jetronic system.

You only need to find four wires in total from the 405 loom to join into the 205 & they are just as Miles says, the permanenet live should come from the shunt box connection & splits to the fuel pump / injection relay & directly to the ecu.

Graham.

jim205GTI

Exactly as Miles and graham say, so much easier to do it this way rather then a link loom, also better for fault finding :unsure:

Even a novice like me managed to wire it in and get the car running!!!

Shame i am not so good on the brake pipe bit!! :(

Sign in to follow this