• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Headling

2.0 8v Turbo, What Mods Next? Need More Bhp!

Headling

Hi guys, you may have seen my car in readers car bit, did it today after thinking about posting pics for ages!

Anyway, had a great couple of weeks doing little finshing off jobs but whats the next stage?

Just want to get some ideas/parts together for next stage of tuning.

I was thinking nissan 200sx turbo, will anyone fit? do i need a new manifold or can i mod std one?

mega squirt ecu? more boost?

Saab injectors?

bales

To make it faster - more boost, I run at a bar

To make it drive better - longer gears and slippy diff

Tbh honest the power thing gets a bit boring because you always get used to it.

When I first got my 1.9 gti, I thought it was really fast and enjoyed having my foot down in 1st and 2nd

Then when I first get my turbo in running standard boost I thought it was really really fast and 1st gear became useless

Then when I upped the boost to a bar and had it completely stripped out, I thought f*** me this really is fast now! 1st and 2nd and 3rd are all useless in the wet now. To the point in all seriousness when you want to overtake in the wet it has to be 4th or 5th regardless of the speed.

So I would say in terms of driving enjoyment unless you can get a diff and longer gears standard power is about right for the best handling I would say.

And I have got used to the power again now...

Miles

A decent ECU like OMEX, Emerald, Motec, Not this Megarubbish, that alone should net you 200bhp and over 200Lb Ft or torque keeping eveything else std.

A Diff is a must or the std one will go pop in no time at all.

Headling

yes it has longer gearing fitted, i have not driven it in the wet yet! its sunny sunday car!

I know what you mean about getting used to the speed, its running at 0.7 bar at the moment, is 1 bar ok for it? and what happens if you go over 1.1 bar, does the ecu cut out?

bales
yes it has longer gearing fitted, i have not driven it in the wet yet! its sunny sunday car!

I know what you mean about getting used to the speed, its running at 0.7 bar at the moment, is 1 bar ok for it? and what happens if you go over 1.1 bar, does the ecu cut out?

If you go over a bar for a decent amount of time say under load in 4th or 5th then it will cut the fuel, mine occaisonally peaks at about 1.1 for a split second then drops down. To be honest as the turbo is a bit small and 1 bar is a bit too much it cant physically hold over a bar for any decent amount of time. If you look at your boost gauge it will have dropped to about 0.7 anyway by the time you get to about 5.5krpm

Mine has been fine at 1 bar as have quite a few peoples now, the only thing that the extra torque keeps destroying things in my driveline!! When mine is mended I will be dropping it back down to about 0.8 bar.

I think for more power you really want a better turbo/manifold and injectors and possibly cam, because if anything I would prefer to change the charcteristics of the engine rather than the out right power. I'd like not much more power say about 190-200bhp, but a decent power curve that lets it rev a bit and not so much of a surge when the torque comes in - but then again thats the mapping so you would need a decent ecu. So in all honesty I personally think to do it properly you would need to spend in excess of £1k unless you can bodge bits and find them cheap.

And if I was going to spend that much money on top of what I already have I would go back to n/a probably a gti-6 - as I have done the turbo thing now....

rapidmi
If you go over a bar for a decent amount of time say under load in 4th or 5th then it will cut the fuel, mine occaisonally peaks at about 1.1 for a split second then drops down. To be honest as the turbo is a bit small and 1 bar is a bit too much it cant physically hold over a bar for any decent amount of time. If you look at your boost gauge it will have dropped to about 0.7 anyway by the time you get to about 5.5krpm

Mine has been fine at 1 bar as have quite a few peoples now, the only thing that the extra torque keeps destroying things in my driveline!! When mine is mended I will be dropping it back down to about 0.8 bar.

I think for more power you really want a better turbo/manifold and injectors and possibly cam, because if anything I would prefer to change the charcteristics of the engine rather than the out right power. I'd like not much more power say about 190-200bhp, but a decent power curve that lets it rev a bit and not so much of a surge when the torque comes in - but then again thats the mapping so you would need a decent ecu. So in all honesty I personally think to do it properly you would need to spend in excess of £1k unless you can bodge bits and find them cheap.

And if I was going to spend that much money on top of what I already have I would go back to n/a probably a gti-6 - as I have done the turbo thing now....

turbo will hold a bar through the rev range no problem at all with a stiffer actuator, like a -31 of a cossie. ull struggle to fuel it tho

bales
turbo will hold a bar through the rev range no problem at all with a stiffer actuator, like a -31 of a cossie. ull struggle to fuel it tho

Yeah but it will be a bar of heat as opposed to a bar of boost!

whizzer71
Yeah but it will be a bar of heat as opposed to a bar of boost!

Ill 2nd that,set it to a bar but itll start to loose it higher in the rev range ,If you want more GG's then TT manifold BIG turbo and decent management/bigger injectors IS the only way to go . (+ Quaife of course!)

:)

Edited by whizzer71

Quigs

do you have to change the bottom end, i used to have one but the con rod snapped. was running 1 bar boost.

Quigs

maxi
A decent ECU like OMEX, Emerald, Motec, Not this Megarubbish, that alone should net you 200bhp and over 200Lb Ft or torque keeping eveything else std.

A Diff is a must or the std one will go pop in no time at all.

Miles I couldnt agree with you more! Omex is my favoured choice but most aftermarket management is much of a much. All I can say is as Miles puts it, forget "Megarubbish".

Maxi

whizzer71
do you have to change the bottom end, i used to have one but the con rod snapped. was running 1 bar boost.

Quigs

Std bottom end is alleged to be good for 300bhp ,Hilgie mentioned to me that there were some Dutch turbos running that kind of power (Obviously with vast mods) but otherwise std bottom ends.

These units do seenm to suffer badly though,several of the ones Ive had apart in the past have had spun shells always on no. 2 cylinder for some strange reason ?

Headling

yes thanks for all the advice, seems a good idea to keep away from mega squirt then! i will have a look around for managment, omex or emerald seem ok to me!

I will get on the hunt for a T28, my local scrap yard has saabs so will get some injectors and then save up for a TT manifold.

On a side note, I have a 4x4 cossie intercooler, I wonder how many BHP that can take?

Stu

Saph cooler (on a saph of course :wacko:) is approaching being too small at around stage 3 spec (330ish). They run 270 (stage 1) all day long. In fact, most 2wd cars upgrade to the 4x4 as its a thicker core.

Michael

Why do so many people say mega squirt ECU is rubbish? I planned to you one, but now I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

best regards

Michael

maxi
Why do so many people say mega squirt ECU is rubbish? I planned to you one, but now I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

best regards

Michael

People say they are rubbish, because they are rubbish. Usually home made cobbled together pieces of equipment that dont work properly. Put it this way, why go to all the trouble of putting together a nice engine, or tuning your engine and not doing it the justice of running a proper ECU thats then mapped by a professional. Same story goes for people who think they can map cars themselfs, makes me laugh everytime.

Maxi

Michael

If I would buy an assembled unit and get the mappings done by a professional on a rolling road, there would be no problems? Are there any quality or functional issues by using mega squirt? If there are no problems, there´s no reason not to use megaspuirt, isn´t it?

Which management system is the most recommendable one?

Best Regards

Michael

S13Nick

personally id go for omex or emerald, as heard nothing but good things about them

whizzer71

I'll 2nd that !

Sign in to follow this