• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Headling

[engine_work] Mark Headling 205 8v Turbo Build ( Mt M'sport )

Headling

Hi Guys and Girls, I have been promising to do this for a while so here goes! This is the story of my 205 turbo build....

The Start, I had a nice little grey 205 XS when I was 18 and now 27 wanted the fun of the 205 with some more BHP! I have company cars so I could go to town on the 205.

The base car is a 1991 H plate 1.9 gti, a good friend owned the car for about 3 years, it had 17" wheels fitted to it a chip and some lowering springs. The big end went and it came off the road, i bought it took the engine out and the fun started there!

I was basing this car to be a road/track machine with maybe the progression to Spints and Hill Climbs.

After stripping out the car and removing the engine I ran the brake lines and fuel lines inside the car and fitted goodrich hoses.

The subframe came out and this was cleaned and Poly bush's fitted.

The car stayed like this for about a year as I saved up funds and looked at engine options, this is when I joined the forum ( about 2 years ago ) and got the Turbo bug!

I made contact with SonofSam who I met up with and had a beer or 2 and he showed me his turbo 205 and this spurned me on to get on with it! ( Thanks for the help mate ).

As I was new to tinkering with cars I got intouch with Mark and Tristan ( Whizzer71 ) from this very forum to enlist there help for the engine conversion. What a top couple of blokes!

Below is pics of the build... Enjoy!!!! :lol:

post-9395-1212406623_thumb.jpg

Headling

Preparing the engine bay for engine, moved the loom to LH side of engine bay, welded up hoole from Loom on RH side, fitted diesel brake servo to give clearance for turbo.

(Tris in pic)

post-9395-1212406868_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212406906_thumb.jpg

Headling

Ran the battery cables through bulk head so I can have battery in the boot.

post-9395-1212407016_thumb.jpg

Headling

So now the engine bay was ready it was time to start the engine prep! my first engine i bought from the local scrap yard was a load of rubbish! Tris and Mark stripped it down and it was gummed up, knackered crank etc etc etc, we robbed it of the parts we needed ( turbo,head,ecu ) and scrapped it.

I then went on line on one of these part search websites and got a new engine, I payed £400 delivered for a 2001 engine from a 406 that had done 51,000 miles, this seemed a good one on inspection.

We fitted a 205 DKZ Cat cam from a 1.9 to the engine for some more BHP and the MI16 clutch.

Thats me getting my hands dirty!

post-9395-1212407309_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407347_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407373_thumb.jpg

Headling

So on to the cam fitment, BTW this makes a big difference the performance of the 2.0 8v engine, def worth doing if you can find a cam, Tris saved the day and found me one! ( thanks mate ).

post-9395-1212407508_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407525_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407540_thumb.jpg

Headling

So now it was onto fitting the alternator, I used a 306 xsi top engine mount and Baker Bush lower engine mount.

Here are some pics of the custom mount Mark made:

post-9395-1212407703_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407724_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407742_thumb.jpg

Headling

So now it was onto the gear box, I did not have cash for an LSD so we put a different crown wheel and pinion to give the car longer gearing, with this mod the car should be good for 145mph in 5th like its sister car Mark owns ( miami blue 205 RR video whizzer 71 posted up 193 bhp one ).

post-9395-1212407926_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407942_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212407971_thumb.jpg

Headling

So with this all done it was time for the engine in bit! all went very well!

post-9395-1212408092_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212408110_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212408123_thumb.jpg

Headling

So it was coming along rather well, the ECU I bought with the first engine was locked so this went off to the ECU doctor to be unlocked , this came out at quite a cost of £170 but it has been working well since the car has been built.

Mark and Tris modified the looms and got all the wiring prepared so it could be hooked up to the engine.

Next up was the down pipe, this was cut and welded so it would miss the tunnel. After this part I added a Magnex Stainless system, we cut out the centre box and installed some 2.5" pipe and just run a back box, it sounds great, not too loud just a good grumble! We will see if it passes a noise test at my first track day soon. My mates super charged exige does with a race pipe on so i should be fine!

post-9395-1212408419_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212408434.jpg

Headling

So now the wiring was complete, we fitted a boost gauge on top of dials and ran the pipes throgh to this and wired it up to 12v source on dash board so it lights a nice blue color! very fast and furious!!

Next was the intercooler, I bought a cheap 4wd cossie intercooler and fitted this behind grill, had to space the grill out about 10mm but it still looks good from the front of the car.

post-9395-1212408627_thumb.jpg

Headling

So next it was onto the oil cooler, i have no pics of this but I bought this form Matt Lewis racing on e-bay, got it as a kit for thr gti-6, this does a great job of cooling the oil, def needed for track day work, Marks road car does not have one fitted and works fine but for track work def get one on, this is mounted just to right nad side in front of radiator.

Talking of the rad, i bought a new ali one from e-bay, this was around £55 again def worth doing!

Headling

So now it was onto the finishing touches and getting it all plumbed in and the boost pipes fitted.

I got a universal intercooler pipe kit again from the bay! ( i like e-bay as you can tell! ), this gave me plenty of spare elbows etc for spares etc.

I got the hoses from silicon hoses, good prices and delivery, i needed 4 x 90deg ones and a 4 straight joints to link up the cooler with the turbo.

I fitted a OMP strut brace, air filter from Graham Goode racing, a bleed valve from Spoox, polished the rocker cover and painted up the engine mounts etc to tidy it all up.

Here you go....

post-9395-1212409094_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212409114_thumb.jpg

Headling

More pics of engine bay:

post-9395-1212409190_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1212409210_thumb.jpg

Headling

So there we go, this brings you up to speed with the engine conversion and the start of my project! Sorry forgot to mention i fitted a nice noisy Bailey dump valve! bit chav but i dont care!

This was finished in Jan 08, since then I have fitted more bits! more engine bling! seats, harness's, ali tank in boot, 405 fuel pump, Spax suspension, solid axle mounts, lowered rear beam,new drive shafts etc etc

I will post up some more pics etc soon,

It passed its MOT first time on the 16/5/08 on my birthday so well happy about that, just been working like mad getting it ready for le mans trip!

I hope to see a few of you there! :lol:

Headling

Just found this pic on my camera, a beer after it was done! Tris was the brave test pilot on the first run! it was over boosting and sounded awesome! he did well to keep it on the tarmac!

If you want something like this done PM Whizzer71 and MT Motorsport as they are now know can give you a quote, they are a great couple of guys and have done GTi 6 conversions, 8v turbo conversions etc so give them a try and tell them Headling sent you!

whizzer71

Hey dont want to step on Marks toes (Or Hijack his thread) but wanted to add these to show just how well he had done and how fantastic his car looks !,I hope you enjoy it M8 !

Edited by whizzer71

Headling

Yes I sure do love it mate! looks great in pics, thanks for posting them up for me!

Lets hope it makes it to Le mans!!!

Headling

Just a quick update, thanks Anthills for the chequer plate floor matts, fitted clear side repeaters and a new shiny fuel filter, its just in the paint shop getting the roof done!

P.S This project could not have been possible with out Amys Lovely cups of tea and Bacon rolls! Thank you!

sonofsam

Looks real good Mark! Chuffed for you it's finally all in there,.. Now go have some :wub::o:( Or is it strictly Sundays B):blush:

Edited by sonofsam

vern

Great project looks well done.

Is that the lambda sensor on the downpipe, if it is you might want to consider moving it further away from the turbo, as I was told when fitting mine, they do not like excesive heat.

Headling

Thanks Sam, I will bring it down soon or you come up and we and whizzer 71 etc can go for some turbo 205 touring!! Thanks again for your help at the start of the project.

Vern, well the lambda sensor is fitted in this place on the 406 so it should be ok? unless you know something i dont? another turbo I know of has this in the same place and has done 5000 trouble free miles.

S13Nick

looks awesome!! mines half way there, cannot wait till its done, whats it like on fuel?? :lol:

Headling

its not actually that bad on juice, i am running it at 0.8 bar and it gets driven hard, i am in the middle of fitting a fuel sender into my ali tank so will have more of an idea then.

Keep going with your project its def worth it in the end!

Headling

Just to let you know, i came back from a great time at the Le Mans 24hr, the pug made it there and back in one bit! did 700 fault free miles, even did some good launchs on mad friday, keep an eye out on you tube as I will post up a video soon!

Thanks again (Whizzer71) Tris and Mark.