• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bales

2.0 Turbo Clutch

bales

I haven't been on here in a while as my car managed to destroy its gearbox pretty spectacularly during one erm...spiritful start, so has been sat on my drive looking generally knackered and sorry for its self.

I have a spare gearbox which isnt a problem but the I need to change the clutch aswell as it was slipping since I upped the boost. I know this topic has been on before but I wondered if anyone with specifically xu10cjte running more power has any suggestions, can you get uprated clutches and if so how much are they.

In previous topics it has been said that the standard mi16 one is fine (I even replied to one and said this myself :lol:) but since I upped the boost it slips badly as soon as it comes in boost in 4th and 5th. You can hear the engine revs rise above the actual rpm and then you get the classic smell!! 1st and 2nd are ok as it spins the wheels before the clutch...

Just as a point I should say that the clutch was brand new when I put the engine in and it is an mi16, I have done just over 4000miles on it.

Any advice would be welcome, cheers.

Alex

jackherer

Was it a Valeo/LUK clutch that you fitted or something else?

Slipping can also be caused by oil leaks from the crankshaft seal so it might not be the clutch itself at fault. Get the gearbox off and have a look to see whats going on.

bales
Was it a Valeo/LUK clutch that you fitted or something else?

Slipping can also be caused by oil leaks from the crankshaft seal so it might not be the clutch itself at fault. Get the gearbox off and have a look to see whats going on.

To be honest I don't know what make the clutch was as it came with the engine when I bought it, am pretty sure its not any leaks on the clutch as only started doing it when running more boost. Doubt I will be able to see much on the clutch now anyway as the whole clutch housing is filled with g/box oil as is the majority of my engine bay! I have a large hole in the side of the casing which chucked oil and bits of gears everywhere!

Is a standard clutch which is designed on a mi16 to take lets say approx 180 lb/ft max going to be able to take 220+ lb/ft especially when it comes on quite aggressively...

Crazy-legs!

What sort of condition is your flywheel in? I made sure that mine was spot-on before fitting a LUK clutch, and have never had any problems. (At least not with the clutch!)

Marc

Mikey S

a 405 1.8 td clutch is what you need. there about 30% stronger than an mi16 clutch. im sure someone on here uses one with no probs at all.

colti
To be honest I don't know what make the clutch was as it came with the engine when I bought it, am pretty sure its not any leaks on the clutch as only started doing it when running more boost. Doubt I will be able to see much on the clutch now anyway as the whole clutch housing is filled with g/box oil as is the majority of my engine bay! I have a large hole in the side of the casing which chucked oil and bits of gears everywhere!

Is a standard clutch which is designed on a mi16 to take lets say approx 180 lb/ft max going to be able to take 220+ lb/ft especially when it comes on quite aggressively...

Have used BX16v clutch on my RGX turbo(Is the best standard spec push type clutch i could find).Had flywheel skimmed.

Although only gave it its 1st run at weekend clutch bite is v positive with no hint of coming close to slipping.(boost at 0.7bar)

sonofsam

Make the Turbo flywheel fit the 1.9 'box then you get a choice of 230mm clutches :):)

craig f90
a 405 1.8 td clutch is what you need. there about 30% stronger than an mi16 clutch. im sure someone on here uses one with no probs at all.

If i remember correctly it was disco stu. Im sure its a post, but it could be in his project story.

whizzer71
I haven't been on here in a while as my car managed to destroy its gearbox pretty spectacularly during one erm...spiritful start, so has been sat on my drive looking generally knackered and sorry for its self.

I have a spare gearbox which isnt a problem but the I need to change the clutch aswell as it was slipping since I upped the boost. I know this topic has been on before but I wondered if anyone with specifically xu10cjte running more power has any suggestions, can you get uprated clutches and if so how much are they.

In previous topics it has been said that the standard mi16 one is fine (I even replied to one and said this myself :)) but since I upped the boost it slips badly as soon as it comes in boost in 4th and 5th. You can hear the engine revs rise above the actual rpm and then you get the classic smell!! 1st and 2nd are ok as it spins the wheels before the clutch...

Just as a point I should say that the clutch was brand new when I put the engine in and it is an mi16, I have done just over 4000miles on it.

Any advice would be welcome, cheers.

Alex

Get yourself an early 405td one (as per previous posts),or go reverse pull set up and fit a Gti 6 Clutch,This is what we have in our lairy monster (Now with T28) and no slippage issues at all,Get yourself a quaife too m8 it'll save you another gearbox !

:D

Edited by whizzer71

sonofsam

See Hilgies last post on this subject regarding Td clutches :)

bales

I know this is quite an old thread but i have only just got my gearbox off the car now!! It turns out the gearbox was fine it was one of the crown wheels in the diff that decided to let go and mangle everything in sight!

Anyway been asking about clutches today at the the local motor place and the standard LUK clutch comes in at approx £70 however this is for the 1.9 8v, in my previous posts I had mentioned about an mi16 one but as I bought the engine with the clutch in I have no idea whether this is right or not, will a standard 8v one fit as an mi16 clutch is double the price of the 8v one....

I gave decided to go for a good quality (i hope)i.e LUK one as people have said that they have been fine with these....I have looked at the prices for the Helix ones and tbh I can't really afford them at the mo....so do people think that an 8v one will be ok....

Thanks for your help

Alex

sonofsam

8v clutch is 200mm isn't it? were as an Mi flywheel takes a 215mm clutch.

puginfo
8v clutch is 200mm isn't it? were as an Mi flywheel takes a 215mm clutch.

yeap, the XU9s had 200mm and the XU10s had 215mm. you can cross them both with the same actuator lever on the outside. i used the MI16's flywheel with citroen xantia turbo D XU10 valeo clutch set on my supercharged XU9 for a direct swap. seems to hold up well so far.

Sign in to follow this