• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

What Oe Brake Pads

GLPoomobile

I need to finally get around to fitting the 306 calipers I bought off Anthony last year.

I want standard pads to keep the cost down, and I don't think I'll need to go for uprated pads anyway. But I've looked on GSF and there are so many options that I'm confused as to what I need!

Help, please!

RossD

For OE quality, try either Textar or Bendix pads. I've tried both and seem fine, even under moderatly heavy use (This was in a 306 though). I think GSF sell both of these makes.

GLPoomobile

Sorry, let me clarify. It's not the make that concerns me - I've used Textar before so I know they are fine - it's the number of different options that confuses me. I don't know anything about the different 306 variants, all I know is I need pads for the 266mm set up (can't remember if the calipers came from an XSi or an S16, waiting for Anthony to remind me).

RossD

Have you got a picture of the calipers if all else fails? Reason being, as you have found out, there were a couple of types of caliper used on the 266mm setup on the 306. From the caliper type we'd be better placed to identify the pads needed :lol:

GLPoomobile

I finally brought them in from my store room today. Haven't taken a picture yet, since I don't think I need to now. They are stamped as Lucas, and since GSF only list one set that mentions Lucas, I figure it's got to be the right one.

N64053 BRAKE PAD SET-FRONT LUCAS 306 (ATE) 97> (NO SENSORS)

Does that seem right, do ya reckon?

I'll post a picture if really necessary.

GLPoomobile

What the heck, here they are...

welshpug

are there any pads in the calipers you have there?

edit, I'm too slow! I was trying to find some information.

the pads you posted wont be for the S16 or P1 XSi.

Edited by welshpug

GLPoomobile

The ones in the first pic are what were in them.

welshpug

ok, if they are Lucas and the pads are 130mm long then they're from a Phase 2 car.

pads for the earlier calipers are 94.8mm long.

handy link for identifying what car they came from, unfortunately not that good as it doesn't give any o.e part numbers.

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

I take it you'll be mail-ordering?

If you do it by phone I'm sure they can pinpoint which type they are from the measurements and caliper branding.

what confuses greatly is that Lucas and Girling are the same company recently <_<

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

From memory, they're from a Phase 2 306 XSi 16v - certainly the pad shape above looks pretty much identical <_<

They're definately not Phase 1 XSi/S16 if that helps.

As for pad choice, I'd personally not bother with Texstar and get some Ferodo Premier's - cheap as chips, and work really well in my experience.

welshpug

aha, got my head round Servicebox, 4251 54 is the pug number for Girling calipers (i.e Lucas)

which are used on all 266mm disc'd 306's from 96/76 on unless they were fitted with Bosch calipers :blink:

still bladi confusing the GSF listings :wacko:

GLPoomobile
get some Ferodo Premier's - cheap as chips, and work really well in my experience.

From where Ant?

Anthony
From where Ant?

Ummm... I get them from Halfords of all places with trade discount, but I'd imagine that you can get them elsewhere too. I dunno about the price for the 306 pads, but 1.9 GTi ones are about £12 inc VAT IIRC

Sign in to follow this