• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gary205

What Gearbox Have I Got?

gary205

I've done a search but can't find a gearbox like this. Car was originally a 1.6 but had Skip Brown 1.9S conversion done a long time before I bought it. At first, I assumed it had a 1.6 box but it seems to be something different. I've had a couple of 1.6s in the past and I'm sure this revs higher at "motorway" speeds. I've got a spare Mi16 box which I'm going to try in the next few weeks but would like to know what box is currently fitted.

welshpug

sounds a lot lower than a 1.6 box, they'd be doing 4200 rpm ish at 80.

White Pugs

Std 1.9 with a 4.4 CWP?

J

gary205

Welshpug, thats what I thought. Definetly different from a standard 1.6 box. I'll check what rpm its doing at 80.

White Pugs, I see from your signature you've got 4.4 CWP, is this from the Mi16 box? Apart from that have you got standard 1.9 ratios? If so, is yours doing 4000rpm at 70 in 5th?

engine killer

sounds like a 306S16 gearbox.

0.845 5th and 4.4 fd.

VisaGTi16v

1.6 ratios is 4000 for me at 70mph in 5th but then I run 175/60/13 Yoko 48r's on the road so smaller than your presumably 14's

markw

as James says 4000rpm at 70mph = 17.5mph per thousand rpm in top sound just like the box skips did for me,

std 1.9 gearset fitted with the MI16(4.4)crown wheel and pinion

i had a 4.8 in my sprint car which gave 15mph per thousand rpm in top so 4k rpm was only 60mph in that!!!

White Pugs
as James says 4000rpm at 70mph = 17.5mph per thousand rpm in top sound just like the box skips did for me,

std 1.9 gearset fitted with the MI16(4.4)crown wheel and pinion

i had a 4.8 in my sprint car which gave 15mph per thousand rpm in top so 4k rpm was only 60mph in that!!!

What he said!

Hello Matey, long time no speak.

Saw Mr C the other day at Loton, he was telling me tales about this lad he knows who sold a v quick 205, bought a E36 M3 and is now after another 205.

Does this sound like anyone you know? :)

J

markw

hi James

what a coincidence that sound just like what i did, 2 tips for you

1 don't buy an M3 there too heavy and too dull

2 never ever sell your 205,i had mine for 7 years spent £000`s on it as was only without it for 3 months before i bought another one

now i am spending £7-8k on another one (for mod prod class),

see you soon

PS did you ever get Dave's record at harewood

mattmk1

At 70 mph mine does exactly 4k rpm in fifth. Mi16 lump and standard 1.6 box.

vickiw106

dont know if anyone is interested i have just found two gearboxes at my local breakers with 4.93 final drives.

they are be3 gearboxes, but i have been told by my gearbox man that the crown wheel and pinion will fit into any be1 or 3 gearbox

i am going to keep one for myself so therefore the is one up for grabs

pm me if you are interested

thanks

Sign in to follow this