• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Goodwood Rims

Paintguy

I think they looked better before... :)

Nah, they look great, and I think they suit the colour of your car very nicely :)

Phil H

You can almost hear the "ting" as they are so shiny.

Don't think much to the one on the pavement though?

GLPoomobile

Your 205 is so green it's bled on to the Focus next to it! :lol:

welshpug

Very very nice, I'm sure the time you've put into them is worth it.

My mate was quite envious when I showed him one of the pics, as his car is J688 GAM!! a very tidy white 1.6 gti.

pete1986

Very nice indeed! I lovce lazer green's, even more so with goodwoods on. Might give mine go

So how do you go about repairing kerb damage on wheels? And corrosion as well for that matter?

steve@cornwall
Very nice indeed! I lovce lazer green's, even more so with goodwoods on. Might give mine go

So how do you go about repairing kerb damage on wheels? And corrosion as well for that matter?

Most of the marking, although it looked quite deep, was only in the paint, but for larger kerbing damage I started by drawing the rounded shank of a large screwdriver across the damage, with lots of pressure, this puts the high spots back down and shrinks the mark a fair bit. I then shaved the rim with a serrated paring knife from Tesco!!!!! covering about 6" of the lip circumference at a time, with damage at the centre - you can shave more at the back, slightly altering the angle of the lip, but is so subtle over this distance that it doesn't show. Do the same around the outer circumference. Then I shaved out the furrows this left using a Stanley blade before starting smoothing it all out with ascending grades of emery cloth, followed by coarse then fine steel wool (with lighter pressure as you go). Finally, metal polish finishes it all off.

For masking, use short lengths of masking tape with at least 5mm overlapping into the centre of the wheel, then trim this back with a sharp blade, using the inner radius as a guide for the blade, then mask off the rest of the rim. You can use a flat piece of wet and dry paperat 45 deg. to the "corner between paint and rim to really tidy the edge afterwards.

This worked for me, but I'm sure there are other methods that have been used.

Costs just under a tenner a wheel :lol:

S13Nick
Well that one's looking pretty mint! How long has it taken from start to finish?

I'm thinking of doing this on my wheels as the rims are currently painted white but that's starting to peel so thinking some bare metal would look better!

Here's mine at the mo...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/dav...ck/DSC05060.jpg

What does anyone else think? Am I better off keeping them white, or would some more traditional goodwood style do it better?

Dave

OMG!!!!!!!!!! i found a picture of your car off google an it is the background on my phone.... Fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baz
About 5 hrs. / rim :o

Yup that rings a bell...

Haven't finished mine yet, started them aaages ago too!

0602015.jpg

:blush:

Although i've done the very lip of these since;

DSC00001-1.jpg

:wub:

Fox

Wow they look fantastic!

So, just to clear up, you polished the lip, then masked it up, then painted the middle bit.

What paint/primer etc did you use on the wheels?

steve@cornwall
Wow they look fantastic!

So, just to clear up, you polished the lip, then masked it up, then painted the middle bit.

What paint/primer etc did you use on the wheels?

Good old Halfords Graphite grey in a tin! and lacquer to finish

Maccer

Those wheels are great, top job! Really want to get some old speedlines and make myself a set to go on my graphite grey pug but not sure if that would look really good or just really grey!!?

steve@cornwall

Put this one up just because I like the pic!

DSC00113.jpg

Baz

I've been doing these recently...

DSC00325.jpg

:blink:

steve@cornwall

Now, those are going to eat up the hours! and be worth every minute. :blink:

Baz

A little time consuming yes, i've stopped counting the hours on them like i did on the speedlines... :) But i guess the speedlines wre a bit of a learning curve too!

steve@cornwall
A little time consuming yes, i've stopped counting the hours on them like i did on the speedlines... :) But i guess the speedlines wre a bit of a learning curve too!

Have you tried steel wool at all? quicker than the finer grades of wet and dry, and with a very slight hand pressure will actually polish, too

welshpug

that's what I used on my goodwood wheels Steve, started with the wire brush to remove the oxidisation, then the wire wool, moving to the very fine wet n dry to flat it off, then the cotton polishing cloth.

Baz

I haven't no!! I shall have to give it a try now though, hadn't thought of it! :)

dirtdog

absolutley gorgeous wheels. i'd really like to get mine done but im not sure they'd match the STDT beige/gold colour until they are done and fitted ;) what does everyone else think?

i love the idea of that jack method!!

Fox

I got mine back from powder-coating yesterday, I wonder if I could polish the lip now? or would it pull off the coating?

Henry Yorke
I got mine back from powder-coating yesterday, I wonder if I could polish the lip now? or would it pull off the coating?

You would need to be careful as powdercoating is more brittle and may chip off further that just the rim. I would cand the edge to seperate the wheel powdercoating from the rim powdercoating

I would like to polish the rim and dish on these but it does sound like there are many hours work there ;)

n648594668_727698_4272.jpg

calvinhorse

do it!!!

Henry Yorke
do it!!!

There is many hours of rapid wrist action involved. Wanna do it for me Cal?!

Baz

;)

You could just do the very lip, like on the cross spokes i posted previously. That didn't take too long tbh.

Crap pic, but you get the idea;

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205.../DSC00003-1.jpg

Edited by cybernck
image filesize over allowed limit!

Henry Yorke

Yeah true, but I just want Cal to come round and use his wrist action on my 15"!!

Seriously though, I would like them like your Fondmetals. However dished wheels are bad for picking up stones and running round the rim, scratching any paint and laquer etc. Also you can't beat spokes reflected in a big dish. There is something almost German about it! ;)