• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Oil Pump Sprocket And Windage Tray Modification

ifcho

Hi,

Sorry to bring this topic up again, I know it has been discussed many times before, but in every topic its all about the mi16...

As I am fully rebuilding the engine now, I wish to make sure that I don't damage it with oil surge...

so I have made a list:

1. xu10 sump with baffle (purchased)

2. xu10 windage tray - will this fit to a 8valve?

3. xu10 crank bolts (they are needed to fit the windage tray, right?

4. xu10 oil pump spring, needle and valve -

5. xu10 oil pump chain cover

6. xu10 chain 52 tooth chain with 26teeth crank sprocket

Is this all I need? The parts are not expensive from the dealer (around 80 euro for the lot) but I'm not sure if it will all fit my engine?

For example is the crank sprocket the same size on xu10 and xu5?

And finally, is there a point in making these modifications to a xu5 engine? It will be purely a track car, running on full slicks...

One interesting thing I noticed on my engines - on the 1986 xu5 engine, the oil pump sprocket had a key to lock its position to the crank, but on my 1991 1.9 d6b engine, there was no key. Is there a key on xu10s?

Edited by ifcho

ifcho

OK, so after doing some more search, I found the following:

the main caps bolts on xu10 blocks have different threads (correct?) so they won't fit

the xu5/9 oil pump does not have mounting holes for chain cover, so we are missing this one as well

On petert's site I noticed he has welded the windage directrly to the sump spacer:

http://www.taylor-eng.com/images/sump/windage_tray2.jpg

On the two engines I have disassembled, there was no such spacer :wacko: however I may try to find one. In case I find, can I just weld the windage tray and not secure it with additional bolts?

If I don't find one, I guess I can go and weld nuts on the standard main caps bolts and then fit the windage tray to them? I've seen this on this forum, but there were no opinions on how this affects the strength of the bolts

Edited by ifcho

petert
And finally, is there a point in making these modifications to a xu5 engine? It will be purely a track car, running on full slicks...

All the more reason why you should be getting the oil under control.

If you've got the XU10 sump you should also look for a spacer plate from a 1.9L GTi or an Mi16, then extend the pickup. Getting more oil in the sump also helps to keep it cooler, in addition to keeping more oil around the pickup. The deeper sump and extened pickup solution will take 6.5L.

Fitting the XU10 windage tray to an alloy block is obviously a difficult task if you don't have the machining/construction skills. TIG welding lugs to the mains cap bolts is probably the easiest/cheapest. I doubt if it weakens the bolt where it counts. I certainly haven't heard from Martin if his ever failed.

I'd be looking for a 2L pump so you can run the chain guard.

ifcho

thanks for the advice....If I run the stiffening plate, do I need an extended pickup? I think I will miss this bit, as I don't have it, and don't really have time to search through scrapyards for it. Is this stiffening plate really needed, except for more oil capacity?

I have already ordered mosts of the bits from peugeot...

I will try to source a xu10 pump and fit it with the chain guard as well.

Will post some pics when I get the bits.

philfingers

There's no point in extending the depth of the sump if you're not going to extend the pickup to make the most of it. It's like not being able to drink that last 20mm of beer in the glass!

You can see from my post that RonnieG pointed you to that I made up some brackets to mount the chain guard to the Mi16 pump. I guess you could do the same.

Phil

Sign in to follow this