• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrblonde

Speedo Doesn't Work!

mrblonde

hi,I have an ickle problem.i have replaced the speedo cable and tested the cable with a cordless drill and it does work.i have also taken out the speedo drive and tested that to with the drill.all works!.but once i put all back together the speedo still doesnt wok!..any ideas please?....(oh,the speedo drive doesnt have any screws etc,is that a prob?)...cheers :wacko:

Rom

Undo the 11 mm bolt that holds the cable housing to the box...remove the housing.

There will be a wheel that drives the cable, look in the top, there should be plastic inside the metal that the cable locates into.

These can break up, as mine did, meaning the cable isnt getting turned by the box.

mrblonde

thats prob one of the probs mate,i dont have the 11mm bolt that holds it in place.do you mean the red cog?....should i just get a new one then?

Rom

Yeah the red cog. As long as its seated, it should still read, obviously if its not makign contact with the diff drive, it wont drive the cable. But it will need a bolt anyway to stop oil leakign etc.

Whip it out, get the red cog in your hand,, look down the tube bit, it theres nothing in there, its broke :wacko: You should be able to see a square plastic piece that drives the cable.

steve@cornwall
hi,I have an ickle problem.i have replaced the speedo cable and tested the cable with a cordless drill and it does work.i have also taken out the speedo drive and tested that to with the drill.all works!.but once i put all back together the speedo still doesnt wok!..any ideas please?....(oh,the speedo drive doesnt have any screws etc,is that a prob?)...cheers :wacko:

More than likely the drive gear around the driveshaft :D They often break ) Long d/shaft driver's side needs to be removed, then 3 bolts hold the outer cover to diff. slide old one off and new one on. Not expensive but a bit of a PITA

mrblonde

grrrr god dam it!!...why does the driverside need to be removed tho,surly its the passenger side??

Rom

Aye, i thought that was gonna be my prob, luckily mine was the red cog.

Edit : The speedo sits on the drivers side of the box :wacko: Thats where the cable is driven from.

Edited by Rom

mrblonde

doh!...thought it was passenger side.did you just buy a new speedo drive then?

Rom

I got a ned red cog from Miles on here, as i was already getting stuff of him, and he had a spare :wacko:

Its listed on Service Box though, wasnt that much iirc.

mrblonde

service box??..whats that mate?

pug_ham

Service box Free to register & search plus you can find out the price of what you want.

I had a recent issue with my speedo drive & stripped the drive housing off when I was fitting some 1.9 Gti driveshafts instead of the 309 stuff, I got the drive cogs from Miles & all it was is simply that the cable had never been located properly, once I fitted it carefully & it seated into the end of the drive properly it works fine.

Graham.

mrblonde

cool thanks for that.ill give it another go 2moz.think it may be just the same prob as you.cheers

Edited by mrblonde

Grim.Badger

I have this problem on mine; the speedo seems lose where it fits into the gearbox, does that sound like the plastic thing is broken?

Also if I remove the assembly it fits into does gear oil pour everywhere?

Rom

You on about the cable feels loose in the housing ? Or the housing feels loose in the box ?

The housing has a seal to stop oil coming out. And the cable has 2 seals iirc. Housing is held in with an 11mm bolt, cable by the rubber thing.

You can inspect the small cog by takign the cable housign off the box. To inspect the main cog that drives off the diff you need to remove the 3 bolts and the os drive shaft to get it out. Youll be able to see in through the hole left by the speedo housing but maybe not enough.

You can remove the cable housing without loosing oil, to remove the shaft housing with the 3 bolts, youll need to drain the oil.

The seals ok on the cable / housing ? As they should feel quite snug as you slide them in, the bolt / rubber thing is only to stop them popping out.

Grim.Badger

The cable feels lose in the housing but I have taken it out and it seems fine, the gear spins the drive (if that makes sense).

I'm presuming that I need to change the bit that fits around the driveshaft?

post-8041-1211742339_thumb.gif

Is it part #1 on this picture that I need?

Edited by Grim.Badger

pug_ham

When does the gear spin the drive?

If it turns without the driveshaft or diff turning then something isn't right.

#1 turns with the diff / drivesshat & spins #2 when it does which turns the cable.

Take the bit out of the gearbox (#3) where the cable fits into & see if you find anything broken.

IMO #2 is more likely to be broken because #1 is a sleeve over the driveshaft so difficult to break so it'll be an unknown until you strip it down.

Graham.

Grim.Badger

I have taken number 3 out and all seems to be fine, number 2 seems to have a concavity to the splines but does turn the square drive bit.

I don't understand how number 1 turns number 2, is there another cog in there somewhere as they don't seem to match up :blush:

If I order new ones does anyone know the part numbers?

pug_ham
I don't understand how number 1 turns number 2, is there another cog in there somewhere as they don't seem to match up :blush:

If I order new ones does anyone know the part numbers?

See attached picture, there are teeth on #1 that mesh with #2 to drive it.

• 01;
2643 04 01 TACHOMETR SCREW

19 DTS

2643 02 01 22DTS

02;

2649 11 01 CONTROL PINION 17 DTS

2649 13 01 20 DTS

2649 18 01 21 DTS

I'd speak to Miles first though, thats where I got mine from.

Graham.

post-71-1211899328_thumb.jpg

Grim.Badger

I've just double checked the pinion and it is worn quite badly, so I've just ordered another. It has 17 splines so I have ordered 2649 11 01 CONTROL PINION

17 DTS for just over £5 from Peugeot :blush:

Edited by Grim.Badger

Grim.Badger

Well I fitted it on Firday and it seems to work, as far as I can tell it reads the correct speed.

I think DTS stands for Dantes (Teeth in french) as the 17DTS one I ordered did indeed have 17 teeth.

Sign in to follow this