• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Some Black Trim Cleaning Tips To Share

gerlewislewis

I have had wonderous results using a heat gun on the black trim, hold it about 1 inch away and pass it over the surface back and forth like as if you were using a spray can, and the trim just goes 'black' instantly! This is because the heat causes the black colour pigment to be disturbed and come to the surface.

Also, Peanut butter and a toothbrush! Yep, this scrubbed gently over any trim which is white or discoloured from wax etc causes all the rubbish to just dissapear! - And if your hungry you can lick your car clean :D

Just thought id share these with everyone as Ive spent loadsa money on various trim gels over the years!

pike_1.9cti
I have had wonderous results using a heat gun on the black trim, hold it about 1 inch away and pass it over the surface back and forth like as if you were using a spray can, and the trim just goes 'black' instantly! This is because the heat causes the black colour pigment to be disturbed and come to the surface.

Also, Peanut butter and a toothbrush! Yep, this scrubbed gently over any trim which is white or discoloured from wax etc causes all the rubbish to just dissapear! - And if your hungry you can lick your car clean :blush:

Just thought id share these with everyone as Ive spent loadsa money on various trim gels over the years!

was this on the phase 2 black trim? does it work for the 1.5 grey trim?

heard before about the heat gun but remember a lot of people saying it didn't work on 205 bumpers and trim

gerlewislewis

phase 2. im sure it would work on both, returning the original pigment.

Worked fine on mine. Heat guns are only a tenner, youd pay that for a trim gel. (I borrowed mine from my dad :blush:)

Roman

Also, Peanut butter and a toothbrush! Yep, this scrubbed gently over any trim which is white or discoloured from wax etc causes all the rubbish to just dissapear! - And if your hungry you can lick your car clean :blush:

black shoe polish also great for phase 2 trim :D

pike_1.9cti

have to give that a go, if i can get it back to original colour i wont have to spray them. :blush:

craig f90
was this on the phase 2 black trim? does it work for the 1.5 grey trim?

heard before about the heat gun but remember a lot of people saying it didn't work on 205 bumpers and trim

The upper bumpers are fibreglass painted with a textured grey coating. the other trims are plastic though.

gerlewislewis

all the bumpes which hld the red strip work fine on a phase 2, and the 1.9 gti badges, and the indicators.

The slatted grille on the tailgate doesnt work.

gerlewislewis

Quick update as ive been cleaning the car in the sunshine :)

I have used the peanut butter on all the trim and it looks awesome, also on the slatted back panel and that looks like new. It works on the door uprights and the door handles too (anything plastic it seems). Not sure how long it will last though, I will let you know.

Ger

Henry Yorke

What is the magic ingredient in Peanut butter then -peanut oil? I just don't like the thought of Sunpat all over my CTI and local dogs licking my trim!

Henry Yorke

Sounds very Rat Look 205 as that is what all the camper / VW lot use

432597060_f01652a1d8.jpg

gerry

wd40 is good too!!!

Sign in to follow this