• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

2.0t Eats More Ball Joints Than Fuel?

craig f90

Hi folks,

After tilting my engine to stop the turbo pipes hitting the mastercylinder and servo, the 205s hubs have gone forward along with the shafts and pushed the ball joints forward with them. I am now on my second pair of bones. Have any MI or 2.0t owners had the same issues? How did you resolve it? Its a road car.

Rose jointed wishbones or new genuine items?

Thankyou.

Toddy
Hi folks,

After tilting my engine to stop the turbo pipes hitting the mastercylinder and servo, the 205s hubs have gone forward along with the shafts and pushed the ball joints forward with them. I am now on my second pair of bones. Have any MI or 2.0t owners had the same issues? How did you resolve it? Its a road car.

Rose jointed wishbones or new genuine items?

Thankyou.

Your hubs will have not moved because the wishbones are fixed to the subframe and the strut top is fixed to the inner wing. Are you sure your hubs have not ovalled?

What problems are you experiencing, wandering steering?

craig f90

I thought the hub was on the shock and the ball joints held the wishbone via the subframe :)

Yeah, the steerings wandering again.

I just assumed that the tilt of the engine was ruining the joint as theres play in the joint to the wishbone. The driveshafts are on an odd angle but this is typical.

sonofsam

Hi Craig, hows it going mate? :)

You using pattern part wishbones or genuine Pug items? Only problem I've had with wishbones is the wishbone bushes used in pattern part

'bones failing after only a few thousand miles! (the ball joints seem to last well though) replacing the bushes with genuine Pug items will stop the wandering, unless of course your hub holes have gone ovalised as mentioned. It's on my list of jobs to do next week on my week off from work.

As mine have failed and Im getting wandering and shuffling on hard acceleration :rolleyes:

Sam,.

Edited by sonofsam

Henry Yorke

Could be a knackered steering rack?

craig f90
Could be a knackered steering rack?

I hope not. :D Dont fancy doing that on a sunday morning. :D

Tom Fenton

The rack is actually not that hard to change, if you drop the subframe down (6 bolts) its even easier.

craig f90
Hi Craig, hows it going mate? :D

You using pattern part wishbones or genuine Pug items? Only problem I've had with wishbones is the wishbone bushes used in pattern part

'bones failing after only a few thousand miles! (the ball joints seem to last well though) replacing the bushes with genuine Pug items will stop the wandering, unless of course your hub holes have gone ovalised as mentioned. It's on my list of jobs to do next week on my week off from work.

As mine have failed and Im getting wandering and shuffling on hard acceleration :D

Sam,.

Not to bad sam and yourself?

Yeah, im using pattern ones at the moment. I have the same issues as you describe, wandering and shuffling. Ive bit the bullet and ordered genuine wishbones today. Im gonna whip a wheel off and wishbone off and see if the hub holes are ovalised. (are hubs a dealer only item?) Theres definatley play in the ball joint.

Sam, enjoy your week off dude :D

Craig.

sonofsam
Not to bad sam and yourself?

Yeah, im using pattern ones at the moment. I have the same issues as you describe, wandering and shuffling. Ive bit the bullet and ordered genuine wishbones today. Im gonna whip a wheel off and wishbone off and see if the hub holes are ovalised. (are hubs a dealer only item?) Theres definatley play in the ball joint.

Sam, enjoy your week off dude :D

Craig.

Good mate ta,

For a Hub, second hand would be preferable ;) Hopefully it's just your wishbone bushes,

and your new ones will sort it! :D

OEM bushes are about as far as my budget will allow, made a Pig's ear of fitting the last ones :D

Will crack it this time, I have to get to work after a week off after all :D

Will do Dude ;)B)

Sign in to follow this