• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pike_1.9cti

What Cam Is This?

pike_1.9cti

Hi guys,

you might of read yesterday about m_r_205 selling me a cam. This is in no way having a go at the chap as he has been honuorable in offering me a refund, just i"m (we?) are confused about it.

Please have a look at the photos below on photobucket and tell me if i'm going wrong somewhere or if i'm on the right lines.

Again this is an information plea not a dig at anybody.

Any help greatly appreciated

Link to pics of cam

Ben

mfield

It's a long shot but that code "100246" could mean 1.00mm lift 246degrees which is roughly right for a bp285 cam i think ? DON'T take my word for it :lol:

Jrod

Lobe for a fuel pump? TU?

James_R

definately looks like an XU cam, but there's no stamp in the cam pulley end. subjective but the lobes don't look the right shape/aggressive enough to be a 285.

as mentioned the carb pump lobe is weird never seen that on piper or kent cams before :S

Miles

They all have the Fuel pump lobe's, well the one's I;ve seen and the one I just checked in the workshop do at least. Piper's castings are normally poor but that doesn;t look too bad, they also tend to cast the cam with 'Piper Cams' on it

pike_1.9cti

looked at the code in better light as on the firday when i posted was in a bit of a rush. It is 4900246, i still dont know where it is from! :)

welshpug

Pretty damn sure that's a Catcams part number, cant find that specific one in their catalogue but their price finder gives a price of £200.82+vat!

closest part number I got was 4900248 for an XU5 so it may be an old cam superseded by an improved profile.

edit, just noticed the pictures, what does it say on the Piper box?

Edited by welshpug

pike_1.9cti
Pretty damn sure that's a Catcams part number, cant find that specific one in their catalogue but their price finder gives a price of £200.82+vat!

closest part number I got was 4900248 for an XU5 so it may be an old cam superseded by an improved profile.

edit, just noticed the pictures, what does it say on the Piper box?

It says on the box that it is a Peugeot 205/309 bp285 kit.

Still confused! :)

Ben

welshpug

try contacting QEP, Catcam agents and Forum sponsor, they may be able to tell you what the spec is if it is a Catcams grind (seeing as the numbers bring up a price on their catalogue) then you can see if their spec matches what you have.

pike_1.9cti
try contacting QEP, Catcam agents and Forum sponsor
funny you should say that, was on the phone to them as you posted. Lol. Girlfriend reckons it could be 296, so told QEP and they didn't know but are finding out for me. They said they have never seen one with a fuel pump lobe and it being steel billet. I reckon its a one off for someone running a banger/stock car and not wanting the electric fuel pump perhaps?

pike_1.9cti

Just in case anybody was interested in the mystery cam well......

It is made by catcams, (full spec i'll get 2mw) with something like 11.9mm lift and 230 duration (slightly more than standard). QEP were surprised to have heard that back in 2000 catcams sold cams to piper to sell on (poss piper run out of blanks?). So the cam i have is indeed from piper but was made by catcams. Whats also interesting is that if it was sold in the piper285kit that i recieved of m_r_205 and he got of the original guy that purchased cam (poss glauotech) then piper were selling a lower spec cam in there kits. QEP reckoned the cam would only worth using if standard injection was retained.

ON the plus side, lovely made cam billeted steel rather than cast, so when miles said it looked better than pipers castings, thats cos it is :D Would have liked it if it was similiar to a 285 spec, but is not worthy of runing with carbs

ben

welshpug

cool, so I wasn't far off lol!

will you still be using it?

pike_1.9cti
cool, so I wasn't far off lol!

will you still be using it?

Nah i wont be using it, its not worth it when running carbs, need to go more lairy. You interested are you? :D

Sign in to follow this