• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Removing Drivers Seat

gerlewislewis

Where do I start? on the outside of the car underneath?

help!

I have loosened the seat inside, but cant get an allen key on the bolts properly as clearance is sooo tight.

Ger

James_m

Inside.

I just used the hex sockets on a ratchet. You might need to move the seat forwards/back/use the tilt to show the bolts but its easily do-able

GLPoomobile

As above, slide it backwards and then tilt the seat to the mid point of it's arc (so it's at the highest point and giving the most clearance to the subframe) to do the front bolts.

Slide it forwards to reveal the rear bolts.

gerlewislewis

Its a recaro speed which im trying to remove, i dont know if that is different, but its so hard to get the bolts undone as there is no clearance for a socket. I also cant tell if I have a hex (allen) bolt or a torx. ( I have a funny feeling its a chewed up allen bolt, but I cant get my head low enough to see).

Im tempted to file two sides of the bolt head, and get a mole wrench on it!

I will have another look when its not raining.

After it is out, I will be putting the standard seat back in, hopefully this will be a lot easier!

Ger

oh, one question, are the bolts you speak of screwed down towards the floor plan? or upwards toward the headrest into the seat? - not sure which bit to remove first.

Ger

McDude

The seat rail is screwed down into the floor. On mine it was a T20 torx key (but you can bodge with an imperial allen key)

The seat is bolted to the rail with the screw going upwards this time.

Definitely easiest to remove the whole lot from the car first, ie undo the rail from the floor - GLPoomobile is right, slide forwards and backwards to expose the screws.

gerlewislewis
The seat rail is screwed down into the floor. On mine it was a T20 torx key (but you can bodge with an imperial allen key)

The seat is bolted to the rail with the screw going upwards this time.

Definitely easiest to remove the whole lot from the car first, ie undo the rail from the floor - GLPoomobile is right, slide forwards and backwards to expose the screws.

one thing ive noticed - the nuts going into the frame (which joins the floor) appear to have a blob welded next to them to stop them from coming undone!?!

I need to have a closer look, and then get back to you guys.

cheers for the advice so far.

Ger

gerlewislewis

Just had a good look, I cant get to the torx bolts as the Recaro frame is in the way.

I figure Ill try and get the seat out first then try and remove frames. BUT, I cant get a tool into the recaro seats either as there is so little clearance! I think im gonna file some flat surfaces onto the round bolt heads, and then get a mole wrench on the case!!!

huckleberry

The way I remove the Recaro from a 205 gti is to get a small hex and then loosen the front 2 bolts. Then slide the seat all the way to the front (and tilt it forward) and loosen the back 3. I personally can't get to all the rear bolts when the front ones are still in. I dunno why but it somehow seems that the top of the front bolts hold up the sliders. Or mine is just bent somehow :)

Good luck! I use the Recaro subframe by the way.

gerlewislewis

when you say loosen, do you mean the ones that bolt into the car chassis, ie the torx ones? as the ones at the back are impossible to get to as the tail end of the recaro frame totally obscures them.

Cheers for the info, more elbow grease to come...

feb

You first have to undo the side bit where the seat belt clips to (that has a bit underneath it that prevents the seat from moving all the way forward that's why you can't reveal the rear bolts now)

Then slide the seat front and undo the rear bolts; slide the seat back and undo the front ones (it may actually be the other way round can't remember as it's been 3 years now)

After removing the seat from the car, separate the recaro frame from the rail and attach the lift up mechanism to it.

I used a 'gamma shaped' torx tool (short enough to fit in the tight space) and attached a pipe at the end of it to create more torque. Be careful not to slip the tool as the head of the bolt can get damaged.

Edited by feb

gerlewislewis

cheers feb. Whats a gamma shaped torx tool?

GLPoomobile

Just a little tip for anyone who struggles with this or similar jobs where clearance is a problem - Instead of using a ratchet, socket and torx bit, use a stubby torx bit but slip a ratchet spanner over it to drive it instead (well actually, you could use a ring spanner or open ended spanner as long as it's the right size to grip the torx bit, but a ratchet spanner makes it easier). You only need about 1cm clearance then. You might need to push down on top with your fingers to stop it slipping, but it does work.

feb
cheers feb. Whats a gamma shaped torx tool?

I used this: http://www.pocketpctechs.com/images/items/XDA-SCWKIT01.JPG

Not sure what's it called in english; gamma as its shape looks like the greek letter Γ :)

Wrapped some rubber around its long edge and stuffed it in a pipe in order to have better grip and torque. I hope it makes sense but I can't describe better my boggo home made tool :blush:

Alternatively you can use a short torx bit and put a ratchet spanner on it (http://www.bikeit.co.uk/bikeit_06/images/tools/spartc01.jpg). I think that's what GLPoomobile means but you must use something to put enough pressure on the torx to prevent it from slipping.

Edited by feb

huckleberry

I use a set like that too because of the small space.

huckleberry
when you say loosen, do you mean the ones that bolt into the car chassis, ie the torx ones?

Yes a seat twee torx ones at the front and I believe 3 at the back; 1 on the outer side and one on the inner. (don't know if that's good English but you get the point).

gerlewislewis

its out! need some more bolts to put the original one back in.

ps. does anyone have the plastic panel that goes at the bottom of the drivers side seat? phase 2.

Ger

Edited by gerlewislewis

Sign in to follow this