• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

Tyres

saveloy
I fitted my last two 185-60/14 Re720's to the front of my car before the PSOOC Euro adventure & now the car has full set of matching tyres it just feels so much better on the road. Shame they aren't available anymore. :)

Bridgestones are a dual compound tyre & don't see the best of their grip / feeling until they are at least 3mm worn in from new imo.

Graham, they aren't available in that size, or not at all?

P.S: I've not fitted the CG lock yet, but I will soon and get my views posted.

pug_ham
Graham, they aren't available in that size, or not at all?

P.S: I've not fitted the CG lock yet, but I will soon and get my views posted.

Not available at all afaik & haven't been for over 12months now. :)

From reading some of the more reent tyre tests Bridgestone don't appear to make a decent sporty tyre now.

Graham.

28CRAIG

I was looking for Bridgestone when i was looking for new tyres but couldn't find them anywhere the Michelin PE2's i got have dual compound and were developed between Michelin and Renault for the 182. The more i use them the better they are getting they are just as good as eagle f1's in the wet but much better in the dry they just need a little bit of heat to be at there best the only problem is the tyres are more capable than the chassis :rolleyes:

daveyboyblack

I had some Yoko Paradas fitted yesterday by Event Tyres. Won't be able to tell if they're any good until I fix the car... but can recommend Event Tyres. They turned up at home at the right time, were friendly and got on with the job quickly. I also managed to get 2 of the old tyres swapped onto some spare rims for free... which is a bonus!

Has anyone else here run Paradas?

Dave

28CRAIG
I had some Yoko Paradas fitted yesterday by Event Tyres. Won't be able to tell if they're any good until I fix the car... but can recommend Event Tyres. They turned up at home at the right time, were friendly and got on with the job quickly. I also managed to get 2 of the old tyres swapped onto some spare rims for free... which is a bonus!

Has anyone else here run Paradas?

Dave

I have driven a car with Paradas on they are o.k in the dry but i thought they were dangerous in the damp. But they are supposed to be good on track as they dont overheat like most road tyres.

Henry Yorke

After all the raving about Parada's it seems there has been a complete change of heart on them now!

Andy, Get some Eagle F1's as they are superb for fast road and good in the wet. The only reason I swapped to Toyo Proxis 4's was that I found the F1's overheat and smear the tread and lose the grip on the odd trackday I do if it is warm. Proxis 4's were great at Llandow and stood up really well. They grip a lot better once scrubbed in I though as I didn't like them at first.

A539's are not as good as the F1's all round as my brother had a set on his Miami. I think us older guys were living on the past glories of the A502's back in the day!

The best value tyres near you would be to have a word with Derbyshire group leader Dean Pound at Autoworld in Chesterfield (derbyshire@psooc.com). That is where mine tend to come from. :)

Project205

After many years of hot hatch ownership, I feel well placed to comment for once!

On my 205's and many other hatches, in the main I used to stick to Yokohama A539's - they are good and very good value but I have since seen the light and have switched to Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's. These come in at nearly double the price (on my current 1.6 GTi with 14"s) but are worth it and if you like a more authentic looking tyre, the tread design looks much more '80s than these directional tyres despite being bang up-to-date compound wise. Things have moved on since the A539's.

Pirellis are leathal, even p zeros (on different cars with bigger wheels) in the wet are hopeless. The side walls on Pirellis are particularly hard, you will notice increased road noise with these, especially compaired to Eagal F1's or Toyo's.

Edited by Project205

CaptainP

I've got the Eagle F1 GSD3 (£26 each fitted due to a friend in the tyre business). As you can guess, road noise from tyres is not a problem for the convertible :angry:

SPGTi

Ok, a different slant on the question.

Which of the favoured tyres have the stiffest / hardest / toughest sidewalls ?

Reason for the question is that I quite often run road tyres on road rallies but usually end up putting an egg in at least 1 sidewall, so I would like some tough grippy road tyres for when I don't run knobblies.

Steve

Pugnut
yoko prada's 195/50/15

Good in the dry, but very screachy round corners.

Bad in the wet, compared to the goodyear F1's I had before.

i've got parada's on the front and f1 on the back. i thought the paradas werent too bad in the wet, not as good as the f1s but not bad.The last two days here have been torrential rain and i would go as far to say that the paradas are downright dangerous. even low speed cornering in the wet is vague to say the least and straight line traction is non existant. braking seems ok though. Standing water gets forced forwards and lands staight on you windscreen too . total pants in the wet. The dry is a different kettle of fish though, it feels like you're going to snap the suspension before they even offer to loose grip.

I'de be sticking with the goodyears which are the best rain tyre by a mile . I had exalto 1's and they are pretty poor in the dry (too hard) but great in the wet. dont know about the 2's though

TaffyTim

I went from 4 Toyo Proxie T1s's to 4 Yokohama Paradas (current tyres)

The title for the best dry grip goes to the Paradas, although the T1s's were great too.

The best wet grip by far goes to T1s's, although the Parad's do grip well in the wet for a Yokohama tyre :) To be fair if the car isnt being pushed and the rain isnt overly heavy then the grip level is fine, but in heavy rain and standing water conditions they will loose grip where as the T1s's seemed to cut though it much better.

As for track use the Paradas handle the heat much better than the T1s's, that noticeably failed after 10mins or so.

I suppose the real test is when it comes to me buying a new set of road tyres, would I buy Paradas next time?

After thinking about this then Ive decided that I will consider them but im not thinking that they are a must.

PS Paradas do have a very 'cool' tread pattern :P

maxi
i've got parada's on the front and f1 on the back. i thought the paradas werent too bad in the wet, not as good as the f1s but not bad.The last two days here have been torrential rain and i would go as far to say that the paradas are downright dangerous. even low speed cornering in the wet is vague to say the least and straight line traction is non existant. braking seems ok though. Standing water gets forced forwards and lands staight on you windscreen too . total pants in the wet. The dry is a different kettle of fish though, it feels like you're going to snap the suspension before they even offer to loose grip.

I'de be sticking with the goodyears which are the best rain tyre by a mile . I had exalto 1's and they are pretty poor in the dry (too hard) but great in the wet. dont know about the 2's though

I have never run paradas but I have run various Yokohama tyres and to be honest, found them all HURRENDOUS in the wet. You really cannot beat Eagle F1's. In my opinion, the best all rounder of all time.

Maxi

28CRAIG

I havn't tried the Exalto 1's but the Exalto 2's i find to be even better than eagle f1's in the wet after the last few days is the first proper wet weather since i have had them onand three wheels is no problem even when it's chucking it down they just seem to get better and better and i dont think i will but anything but the PE2's any more.

floodys

I'm after a set of tyres for my 306 HDI, it runs 195/55/15s but people have said about running it on 50's cos of cheaper and more range of tyres, i'm thinking about those toyo T1, F1's, and i think they are good year hydragrip? thye are all around the same cost delivered, i'm going to the ring end of the month but wont hack round, the most important thing that i want is long life!! all ideas and suggestions welcome!! cheers

Paintguy
I think us older guys were living on the past glories of the A502's back in the day!

Who are you calling old! :)

I managed to totally miss your reply Henry, but thanks for the info. I ordered a pair of F1's today through work. They work out pretty cheap, and it'll give me an excuse to get the old girl up on ramp and see just what the hell is knocking on the front suspension! I've mentioned before how strict they are about staff cars coming into the workshop, but they do have two exceptions - MOT's, and fitting tyres bought through the parts department :)

Besides, there's less chance of my wheels getting damaged if I fit the tyres myself :)

Mark80

So what do people recommend for a track tyre on a budget? Would the YOK0HAMA VR PARADA 2 be a good choice as you can get a set for £130

I have never run paradas but I have run various Yokohama tyres and to be honest, found them all HURRENDOUS in the wet.

Maxi

I have a set on my civic and I agree, ever corner in the wet and Im skidding all over the place.

welshpug

best bet for track tyres is to get in touch with a fairly local motorsport team, a few friends I know rally on Part worns from a well known Rallycrosser and some of the tyres are as new, barely scrubbed in, and they get them for a LOT less than the usual retail price ;)

I've had BFG profilers on a 306 a few years ago, they were very good IMO, and i;ve got a set of part worns going on tomorrow morning so I'll know if theyre comparable with slightly illegal Nankangs by lunchtime :lol:

joni
Ok, a different slant on the question.

Which of the favoured tyres have the stiffest / hardest / toughest sidewalls ?

Reason for the question is that I quite often run road tyres on road rallies but usually end up putting an egg in at least 1 sidewall, so I would like some tough grippy road tyres for when I don't run knobblies.

Steve

Yeh anyone any tips for good wet/dry tyres with solid sidewalls. The bridgestone potenza re720's were perfect for this but i don't think you can get them anywhere now. I have used mine on road rallies for a good while and got full use out of them so much so that they're probably no longer legal. Used to hammer down whites and only slight problem was a tiny bubble in one but NO punctures. Heard that the bridgestone replacements are not as good.

JimLad

Just been reading this trying to work out what tyres to go for. V6Max posting saying R888's for £50. Anyone any idea where that's from cos it sounds like a bargain!

Baz
Just been reading this trying to work out what tyres to go for. V6Max posting saying R888's for £50. Anyone any idea where that's from cos it sounds like a bargain!

Every now and then Spiky does a group buy on them for 225 delievered iirc. Thats about the best price i've seen. he needs to do another one soon, as i know a few people interested!! :lol:

Sign in to follow this