• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Gti-6 Ecu Unlocking

Doof

Anyone know much about these?

I've been offered one for a good price from a 98 R reg GTi-6. Its locked though and the guy says he doesn't have the "little black box" that unlocks it.

Am i going to be able to get round it without having this little black box? And how much is it to unlock them?

Cheers,

Lewis

sonofsam

I had my 2.0Turbo ECU unlocked by www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk @ £145,

Beleive a few others on here have used His services also and found them very good.

gti-si

Won't be a problem once the ecu is unlocked. Just don't wire the transponder and key in and it will be fine. Think it's around £90 to unlock, can't really remember

welshpug

I'm pretty sure Maxi got his ECU unlocked by plugging it into another gti6, turning the ignition to position 2 (i.e where the ecu would normally unlock) then unplugging it, that leaves the ECU in an unlocked state, and will not lock unless it receives a "lock" signal from a transponder.

Hilgie

Agreed...that's the way to do it!

Doof

Ok, i'll buy it then....next question...anyone got a '6 who can do it for me? Will pay for your time, just not £145 of time :rolleyes:

Toddy
I'm pretty sure Maxi got his ECU unlocked by plugging it into another gti6, turning the ignition to position 2 (i.e where the ecu would normally unlock) then unplugging it, that leaves the ECU in an unlocked state, and will not lock unless it receives a "lock" signal from a transponder.

My understanding is that each phase 2/3 GTI6 has a chipped Key, transponder and ECU which are all coded, without this the ECU will NOT unlock in ANY 306 GTI6 otherwise you would simply carry an unlocked ECU to steal a'6', also you would simply plug your ECU into your mates '6' and not spend the £150 from the likes of the ecu doctor to unlock it.

I am guessing here, but when it receives a lock signal a unique code is generated and it needs to receive this in order to unlock the ECU again without the unique code it will stay locked.

To unlock in the car and transfer to a 205, it is the above, ignition on position 2 and disconnect ECU.

welshpug

nope, my understanding of it is that the only place that a specific code is used is between the key chip and the transponder unit, the ecu gets a generic lock/unlock code.

so yes you could do what you mention, but the second you turn the ignition off the ecu will be locked.

jonnie205

I thought the ecu, transponder and key were coded so to unlock the ecu it would have to be unlocked from the car it came from. maybe maxi can confirm. If it true the transponder gives out a generic code then unlocking ecu's will become very cheap.

I have always unlocked ecu's on the car never sent them away it works out quite dear

Edited by jonnie205

Toddy
nope, my understanding of it is that the only place that a specific code is used is between the key chip and the transponder unit, the ecu gets a generic lock/unlock code.

so yes you could do what you mention, but the second you turn the ignition off the ecu will be locked.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...;hl=immobiliser

This agrees with my statement that ECU,transponder and Key are all coded to each other.

welshpug

I stand corrected!

taylorspug

True Maxi tried it, but it didnt work. Tbh a locked GTI6 ECU is worth next to nothing, as it will cost you over £100 to get it to a usable state, so i wouldnt pay alot for it bearing that in mind.

maxi
True Maxi tried it, but it didnt work. Tbh a locked GTI6 ECU is worth next to nothing, as it will cost you over £100 to get it to a usable state, so i wouldnt pay alot for it bearing that in mind.

Right people shall we get this straight in our heads......

There are three parts to the immobiliser system,

1. Key

2. Transponder

3. ECU

All three parts are coded to each other. If you are missing one of the three parts then the only way to unlock is to phone an ECU company like ECU doctor, as has been mentioned.

However, I have had all 3 components for a conversion before, ECU, Transponder and Key that were from the same donor car, but I didnt have the immobiliser loom and aerial from the barrel to unlock them. So, (this is where people get confused) its a perfectly logical and trusted practice to plug the ECU and transponder box into another 306 gti6 of the same year, keep the key next to the ignition barrel while starting the car with the actual key for the car, and then unplug the ECU.

I did set upon making a couple of "test bed" looms for unlocking the ECU when all three components are avaliable but not a car to unlock them with. However, the later gti6's have a different transponder box, of which I couldnt source a wiring diagram, so gave up.

Hope that clears any confusion.

All of the information above is 100% accurate and based on experience, not guess work. You can rely on it.

Maxi

Sign in to follow this