• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Tu5j2 Valve Springs

Anthony

Having read through a few topics, it looked like TU5J2 (1.6 8v) valve springs were a useful upgrade for TU3S (1.4 XS) engines so I thought that I'd grab myself a set to put in mine now that I'm putting it back together.

The question is does it have to be from a particular variant of the engine, as I grabbed a set from a Saxo VTR with the later roller-rocker engine - and have discovered that they're a slightly smaller diameter and hence don't really fit the head properly, and the TU3S retainers don't fit at all.

Also, very subjectively they don't feel any stiffer than the TU3S ones that I've got - they're a little shorter uncompressed length and as said slightly smaller diameter, but the wire thickness and number of winds appears to be the same to the naked eye.

Is it only early TU5 engines that have the uprated springs, and do you need the matching TU5 retainers as well?

Sandy

Any reference to an upgrade would be using Blacktop TU5J2 springs I think, the silver top ones are strictly comfort spec!

I've got several sets of blacktop ones if you need them.

Anthony

Cheers Sandy :)

I'll have a look in the local breakers when I'm back from working away later this week to see if I can find an earlier engine to swap these valve springs I've got with, otherwise I'll give you a shout and have one of those sets of yours off you

Sign in to follow this