• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

[engine_work] My Little Pug Project So Far

notamondayfan

Just thought I'd share my little project with the forum. I know it's no where near as crazy as some projects out there, but I got to start somewhere :D

The intention is to have a nice road going Gti, with of course a 16v lump.

So...

I bought this gti with a none running engine a few months back -

004_20-01-08_gti_mi16.jpg

011_21-02-08_gti_mi16.jpg

Needless to say, it didn't stop on its wheels for very long!

It's only done 79k, and the body work is solid. There are a few areas that need work, but nothing major at all, mainly some flaking paint on the cill, some surface rust on a door and the odd dint here and there.

So I removed the origional engine.

A few weeks later I bought this, apparently removed running with no problems.

003_20-01-08_gti_mi16.jpg

013_21-02-08_gti_mi16.jpg

It wasn't my intention to go for carbs, but when the engine came up for sale with carbs, I thought why not!

015_21-02-08_gti_mi16.jpg

So the install went ok, managed to plumb it all in ok, bought a new alloy radiator as the old one was shot. I would have had it all in and running if it weren't for a delay on ordering the dizzy adaptor.

019_21-02-08_gti_mi16.jpg

017_21-02-08_gti_mi16.jpg

So about a week later I get the adaptor, and to cut a long story short we get it running...

...but not without problems.

The bloody thing smoked like mad. Luckily no rattles or strange noises from the bottom end.

But bloody hell did it go, even if it was followed by clouds of smoke!

Anyway, after letting a mechanic friend take a look he said it was probably the valve seals, and wasn't looking too good. Myself and my dad (who's helping with this project) decided it was probably best to remove the engine and then decide what to do.

027_29-03-08_gti_mi16.jpg

In the end we decided to take it down to our local engine builders and let them take a look at it.

A few days past, and they phoned, and said the engine would need some work. They had taken the head off and said the head gasket was basically rotten, the liners were worn and would need replacing, and he didn't know what else would need doing until he could take a propper look.

notamondayfan

Anyway a few weeks later and the engine is back home, with a rather large bill with it too. I can't remember exactly what's on the list, but I remember - shells, valve seals, gaskets, liners, bolts, skim, all valve seals, and THREE bent valves! I think this was definately the right way to go, as I wouldn't have spotted some of these things.

So as the engine was clean I thought I may as well give it a little paint job

031_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

030_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

And whilst the engine was out, I may as well spend some time cleaning and de-rusting the engine bay

Before

034_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

After

036_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

033_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

And thats pretty much where I'm upto now, oh I also have a set of Gaz coilovers to fit once the car is running, and I plan on some kind of bigger brakes in the future too. Hopefully next weekend I can drop the engine back in and get it running and through its MOT!

There's a few more pics on my photobucket account if anyones interested.

Cheers, Dean!

ned

Good work, the body looks in good order.

Goliath

looks like a nice clean project that you should have running pretty soon! Just a quick note noticing your numberplate, my parent had a peugeot 'H 505 HLA' but it was a 505 GTI !!

notamondayfan

well got it running last night, and what a sound! took a short video, and will upload it at somepoint!

jus a few issues to worry about now, mainly the brakes, and sorting out the gauges, and one know why the gauges arent workin?

i havent cut anything off, and im sure ive reconected everything. do i need to modify anything to work with the mi?

cheers, dean

notamondayfan

so it's been a couple of months since my last post. i've been busy getting the pug ready for its mot. the list seems to be endless!!

new discs and pads all round...

039_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

refurbished valance almost ready to be fitted...

038_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

just need a new bumper and inserts to finish that off

044_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

so sadly its time to let this tired old work horse go back to the garage for a tidy up (bit of an understatement!)

041_11-05-08_gti_mi16.jpg

notamondayfan

so the projects almost complete :D

new front and rear suspension from the gaz group buy (thanks cybernik!)

059_13-09-08_gti_mi16.jpg

055_13-09-08_gti_mi16.jpg

057_13-09-08_gti_mi16.jpg

just gotta tweek it, but at the moment its on a middle setting, and its a pretty nice ride :huh:

now just a couple of engine shots ...

053_13-09-08_gti_mi16.jpg

054_13-09-08_gti_mi16.jpg

over all im totally chuffed with the car. i'm so glad i did it, even if it is over budget and over the origional time scale!

to me, this car is how a 205 should be. it starts 1st time, is dead quiet on idle, but when you put you foot down, the noise comes from the front of the car, not the exhaust!!

ohh ive also installed my old alpine 6 cd multi changer, oh how i have missed you! i also decided to keep the original speakers, they sound good enough to me anyway!

ive of course got some more ideas for the car, but i think im gonna have to build up some funds 1st!! on the list is to get the dints removed, add some mud flaps, replace drivers seat, refurb the alloys, and im sure i can probably add to the list all night long!

in a month or so ill get her on a RR, get the carbs set up properly.

deano!

gazzamec

looks very nice, shame about the dodgey engine.

(back end could do with new bump stops)