• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_205_GTi

1.6 To 1.9 Rear Brake Conversion

John_205_GTi

As the title suggests what do i need to convert my rear drum setup to 1.9 disc setup and how do i do it?

Baz

I don't know why you'd want to but the easiest way would be to change the whole beam to a 1.9 item.

John_205_GTi

I'm more interested in what i need to do with the brakes as i already have a 1.9 beam and calipres ready to go on.

GLPoomobile

IIRC (it was a while ago I did this) you only need to swap to a 1.9 GTI handbrake cables IF the rest of your brake lines are OK. The reality is that when you come to separate the brake lines they will probably be corroded and break (get proper brake line spanners and soak the joints in Plusgas).

You just need to separate the copper lines that run along the trailing arms from the flexi lines that go over the beam tube. Leave the flexis in place, fit the new beam and reconnect the lines. Fit 1.9 handbrake cables and that should be it.

dino20vt

From what I remember 1.6's unlike every other model (diagonal) have a front to rear split system, would this matter when converting to discs?

Edited by dino20vt

markw

i am doing this myself on a new sprint car i am building,my advice is to buy a 1.9 beam cos all the bits really do add up,

for a start the stub axle pins (i bought a skip brown neg camber kit)have to be changed,then there are brackets that bolt the the trailing arms to which the caliper bolts,£45 each from pug dealers,the disc shields on each side,wheel bearings, calipers ,discs,hand brake cables i am guessing that by the time mine is all done it must be close on a grand to 1200 quid,

dino20vt

Sorry its me being unclear, hypothetically speaking, say I had a 1.6, fitted a 1.9 beam, would it matter that the 1.6 shell has a front to rear split hydraulic system but the 1.9 brakes on the 1.9 beam originally was fed from a diagonally split system?

christopher

This has been convered a number of times so you should be able to get the techie answers there.

I personally have been running a single (1.6) system with a 1.9 beam for 4 years now without problems.

Sign in to follow this