• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BERTMAN

Fun Fun Fun

BERTMAN

i was having starting problems with my car, electric windows, radio etc all worked ok but the battery didnt have enough charge to turn over the engine, so i was having to bump start it everywhere, now ive replaced the battery with a new 1, and within a day the battery light came on and it was stuggling to turn the engine over. The car seems to be ok during the day starting most of the time but the big problem is at night with my lights on the battery light stays on either dim or bright red all the time, im thinking this is proberly an alternator problem or related wiring? the belt looks very tired so do you reckon just replacing the belt could cure it? also what do the earthing points on top of the shocks earth exactly?

Goliath

I had this problem once, i cured it by running a big thick cable (battery-starter motor cable of a fiesta!) straight from the positive battery terminal to the alternator. i doubt changing the belt will help, as it sounds like either the wiring is dodgy. or you alternator isnt giving the proper output if any.

christopher

Could be an intermittent fault with the alternator. You can test it with a voltmeter.

It's amazing how far you can actually drive just on just battery power.

bren_1.3

another vote for dodgy alternator. check over the wiring aswell.

i did the same as Goliath on a friends car, it helped but didnt cure the problem...

Casanova

I had a problem with the regulator on my alternator for a while. Wasn't charging the battery, although could be revived with a blow from a hammer! Kept doing that every 50 miles for a few weeks until it finally expired.

Sounds obvious but I assume the belt is taut and all the connections are tight?

§

Edited by Casanova

BERTMAN

the belt was taught enough and the wiring looks fine, ive changed the alternator and belt now, just need to charge up my battery now.. i think i will run a wire directly to the battery just for a giggle. how can i check my 'new' alternator is charging my battery without a voltmeter?

Edited by BERTMAN

Casanova

Well, if the battery light is on, its not charging (or you've not connected the wire), if its off, its ok!

§

Edited by Casanova

kilauea
also what do the earthing points on top of the shocks earth exactly?

The shocks - static through the tyres will wreck your wheel barings eventually if you don't earth them.

So I was told about mine by a mechanic.

Jrod

It's actually to complete the circuit for your break pad warning light. Not sure if the above has any truth it in but mine arn't earthed.

AdamP
The shocks - static through the tyres will wreck your wheel barings eventually if you don't earth them.

So I was told about mine by a mechanic.

I think you've been had!

Mikey S
I think you've been had!

he hasnt, its definately true. renault clio's suffer terribly from static in the shock sbsorber destroying the wheel bearings if there not earthed.

CaptainK
I had a problem with the regulator on my alternator for a while. Wasn't charging the battery

Same here - the alternator wasn't working at below 3000rpm, but after that it would actually do some charging. So after a while my 205 would die, then mysteriously work for a while, then die.

Reconned the alternator and was all fixed. :lol:

jackherer
Same here - the alternator wasn't working at below 3000rpm, but after that it would actually do some charging. So after a while my 205 would die, then mysteriously work for a while, then die.

Thats how they behave when the battery warning light wire is disconnected, as well as making the light work it also excites the alternator, but some alternators will self excite at approx 3K RPM.

CaptainK
Thats how they behave when the battery warning light wire is disconnected, as well as making the light work it also excites the alternator, but some alternators will self excite at approx 3K RPM.

I checked that wire first too, and so did my local garage and I think the AA. Mine was found to be problematic due to the rectifiers on the alternator being up the duff and not working. So it was giving an inconsistent charge.

Sign in to follow this