• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mallone

Xs Carb Air/fuel Mixture

mallone

Due to me being an idiot when stripping down my carb recently, I have lost the original setting for the idle air mixture screw at the back of the carb.

Is there a baseline figure for it? i.e. screw it all the way in and then 4 turns out. Don't have the ability to get it on a gas analyser to set it up properly at the minute so a rough idea of where the screw needs to be would be much appreciated!

Cheers

swordfish210
Due to me being an idiot when stripping down my carb recently, I have lost the original setting for the idle air mixture screw at the back of the carb.

Is there a baseline figure for it? i.e. screw it all the way in and then 4 turns out. Don't have the ability to get it on a gas analyser to set it up properly at the minute so a rough idea of where the screw needs to be would be much appreciated!

Cheers

which screw are we talking about here? pics would be helpful

josh1990

the one back left on the base of the carb???

mallone

Apologies for a slow reply. Been incredibly busy.

Yeah its the screw on the bottom left at the back of the carb, apparently labelled the mixture adjustment screw in the Haynes manual. The carb itself is the Solex 32-34 Z2, fitted to the XS.

Would get pictures but camera is currently broken :angry:

Any help massively appreciated, want to get the poor thing singing sweetly again!

macaroni

Just take it to an MOT place, bung the guy a tenner and he will set up the idle mixture on his gas-o-meter. That's what I do to save any messing around.

The Haynes Carb manual suggests removing the mixture screw and checking it for extreme cleanliness, then re-inserting and screwing it right in until it seats GENTLY against the carb. Unscrewing it 3 turns should be a good starting point.

Sign in to follow this