• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

A Never Ending Project

christopher

I don't seem to get anywhere fast with my project and with a little one on the way, things don't look good. It's an experiemnt...

Anyway I decided to do at least something so I did a dry build with two camshafts

This is the engine.

post-4275-1210282682_thumb.jpg

christopher

The secret ingredient

post-4275-1210282833_thumb.jpg

christopher

The camshaft on the left is a claimed Peugeot Sport cam with some very strange brass collar. It has no fuel pump drive. The one on the right is a standard Euro Rallye TU24 camshaft.

They look very similar don't they? The lobe spacings that is. In fact they are but the group A one has a huge cam lift which rougly relates to something like 11.2mm. The TU24 is standard at 10.8mm. It is I checked!!

post-4275-1210282908_thumb.jpg

Edited by christopher

christopher

Dry build using a compressed gasket. Engine has been turned a minimum of 2 times. This is the standard cam. The block has a deck height of zero. Which means that the picton comes to the same height as the block face. Some nice indentations

post-4275-1210283413_thumb.jpg

christopher

This is what it is all about. All that hassle for this tiny bit of play dough. Clearance using the standard cam is a healthy 2.18mm. Absolute minimum I think would me something like 1mm, maybe better 1.5mm

post-4275-1210283591_thumb.jpg

Edited by christopher

christopher

The lift @TDC for the standard TU24 camshaft is around 2mm. Which is really huge for a production engine.. :)

This nearly as much as I can go with this block as is. But I want to lift 3mm @TDC which means that I will need to relieve some 1.5mm or so from the piston probably mostly from the inlet valve. ;)

Edited by christopher

RossD

Is that a 1.6 iron block you have there? The pistons look to be flat, all the 1.6 blocks I have seen have dished pistons (Even my TU5J2), is this a later block or something??

christopher
Is that a 1.6 iron block you have there? The pistons look to be flat, all the 1.6 blocks I have seen have dished pistons (Even my TU5J2), is this a later block or something??

Hi Ross,

It is a 1597cc TU5J4 iron block from a 1996 106 gti. They have flat floating pistons. My calculations make resulting static compression of 11.3.

Here is a better picture

post-4275-1210320949_thumb.jpg

drmo

Will you be using weber 40 dcom's from TU24 as well? Have done something similar, except the engine block is TU5JP from 306 and the cam has 11,25mm lift.

RossD

Also regarding the brass bush on the camshaft, I've think I've seen this mod before when sustained high revs are being used, i.e 8000+. Being a Gp A cam, this would make sense!

Sign in to follow this