• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gtiracer

What Pistons Will Fit In Xu9j4 To Lower Compression

Gtiracer

So I would like to lower compression for an eaton M45 on an alloy block Mi16

So just wondered if the 1.6/1.9 TT pistons would be good

Forged pistons are just a bit too expensive so looking for a slightly cheaper option

Upon getting new pistons what new bits would I also need to buy, I'm assuming its always advisable to buy new rings when fitting them but is there anything else?

if these aren't available are there any other peugeot variants that might lower cr, for example 106 GTi or whatever?

Cheers

James_R

the pistons from a Cat'd Mi are lower CR than the "normal" ones, be a good place to start.

vern

If you order the forged pistons direct from the states, you can save loads, just paid £500 all in delivered for JE pistons with a few upgrades, and the price of the measuring of the sample pistons. If you want to order a set let me know and they can use my sample pistons, as I sent MI and 1.9 to be measured.

If buying the basic piston and rings probably about £460, depending on the exchange rate.

Bally

I used the lower cr std MI16 ones from a cat engine with very good results. I have been running 8-10 psi for a while now and have managaed to produce 230whp (at the wheels) on them. That was at a very mild stste of tune. Have recently been running at 12 psi with a much more aggressive tune and its been fine. Soon going back to the dyno with the mindset to make 300whp no matter what it takes.

Hilgie

Why not fit a XU10 (86mm) crank? Instant CR drop.

Gtiracer

and keep my oringinal pistons and rods etc?

Is it literally the crank only that has to be changed?

what is the XU10 in laymens terms, is that the 2.0 turbo from Citreon XM?

Gtiracer

oh, so the XU10 is the S16?

is there any engines with the same crank as this one

welshpug

XU10 is the code for any 2.0 engine used on the 405 306 and most 406's, the letters/numbers following correspond to the type of cylinder head used (as well as a few different internal and ancillary components)

Gtiracer
XU10 is the code for any 2.0 engine used on the 405 306 and most 406's, the letters/numbers following correspond to the type of cylinder head used (as well as a few different internal and ancillary components)

thanks,

Do you know much about changing cranks? and if you can just chage the crank and leave everything else as is?

Gtiracer

Most XU10 cranks I've seen people are saying they're 88mm, Is there a special variant of this engine or did you make a typo?

B1ack_Mi16
Most XU10 cranks I've seen people are saying they're 88mm, Is there a special variant of this engine or did you make a typo?

Not a typo no, XU10 = 86mm, XU9 = 88mm

Gtiracer

so whats involved in changing a crank?

can the crank alone be changed and is this possible in car by taking off the bottom end because i dont have an engine crane?

James_R

Ideally it's an engine out job, you oculd do it in the car, but you'd have to remove the gearbox to get the flywheel/clutch off, plus trying to lift a crank up in to place with one hand then putting some big end caps on with the other, no thanks. :D

Gtiracer
Ideally it's an engine out job, you oculd do it in the car, but you'd have to remove the gearbox to get the flywheel/clutch off, plus trying to lift a crank up in to place with one hand then putting some big end caps on with the other, no thanks. :D

mmm sounds like fun,

thanks for your answer, do you know if just purely the crank can be changed alone and thats it reduced compression?

And also with an 86mm crank does anyone know what compression would be compared to the standard engine?

Hilgie

Yes...just the crank will be changed. XU9 rods fit XU10 cranks. Flywheel, pulley all fit the XU10 crank.

carbers205

If you change crank you WILL need to check all your clearances which will prob end up with you changing all the bearing shells and maybe regrinding the crank so all is spot on.

You can hire engine hoists from places like HSS, or maybe find a friendly local mechanic and bribe him with beer to borrow his. If you do change the crank you want the operation to be as simple as possible so as to keep all surfaces clean. Worst case if you get dirt in the shells while youre doing it youll have to do the job all over again!

Oh and while I think about it I have a spare XU10 (yes, def 86mm!) crank in my garage which was running fine before I removed it.

Andy

Sign in to follow this