• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
milk_churn

309 Beam On Your 205 Pics?

milk_churn

Has anyone got any pictures of their 205 with a 309 rear beam fitted?? just wondered what it sat and looked like. Please post if you have.

Ryan

It fills the rear arches out quite nicely, but there can be some issues with rubbing if lowered too far. Ignore the front height as there was no engine in when these were taken.

post-5273-1210152943_thumb.jpg

post-5273-1210152959_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryan

milk_churn
It fills the rear arches out quite nicely, but there can be some issues with rubbing if lowered too far. Ignore the front height as there was no engine in when these were taken.

Thanks. I'm planning on having the ride height standard so do you think the rubbing won't occur? Do you have to do anything with the front to match or can it be left as is?

Baz

IMG_5377.sized.jpg

Anthony's car, 309 rear beam, ZX trailing arms... :)

Edited by Baz

milk_churn

That looks a lot wider than i expected!!! is that because of the zx trailing arms?

and why zx trailing arms?

Baz

ZX arms give negative camber.

milk_churn

ah i see, thats why it looks exaggerated then.. Looks well mean!

jackherer
Thanks. I'm planning on having the ride height standard so do you think the rubbing won't occur? Do you have to do anything with the front to match or can it be left as is?

If you put a standard 309 beam on a 205 it will sit higher than a 205 beam due to the weight difference so you will still need to lower it even if you want to run at standard ride height.

milk_churn
If you put a standard 309 beam on a 205 it will sit higher than a 205 beam due to the weight difference so you will still need to lower it even if you want to run at standard ride height.

Can i use 205 shockers still or are they different?

Baz

yes they're the same.

welshpug

yes you still use 205 dampers, same fitting (as are 306 dampers)

not just neg camber but zero toe, standard trailing arms have camber already but toe in.

Spiky

th_03052008032.jpg

only one i can find

ANDYMISIXTEEN
th_S7002063.jpg

projectpug

Whose tested them on track? What are the benefits over the 205 beam when using purely as a track car?

Spiky

mines just a track car, handles very well, i dont get any lift off oversteeer, and feels VERY planted :wacko:

de Noir
th_clean.jpg

:wacko:

I have beam'ed my car because of this :D:):wub: sorrento! :)

j_turnell
I have beam'ed my car because of this :DB):wub: sorrento! :)

B)

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Mine is only used on road. It has the group A mounts, when i fitted it the car handled alot better and also looks better.

V8Pete

4tqg00y.jpg

1t94p2.jpg

Ahl
Mine is only used on road. It has the group A mounts, when i fitted it the car handled alot better and also looks better.

Qualify what you mean by 'better'.

In your opinion, why is it better?

Some people prefer the original setup with the narrower beam, citing that the more active rear end makes the car more lively and gives better turn-in. Perhaps it is better to discuss the 'different' handling characteristics of the original 205 beam and the 309 beam, rather than trying to label any one as better than the other.

(I believe there have been previous such discussions on this forum).

pacey205

Heres mine

p2240220pk4.th.jpg

p2240214dw1.th.jpg

Michael

jackherer
Qualify what you mean by 'better'.

In your opinion, why is it better?

Some people prefer the original setup with the narrower beam, citing that the more active rear end makes the car more lively and gives better turn-in. Perhaps it is better to discuss the 'different' handling characteristics of the original 205 beam and the 309 beam, rather than trying to label any one as better than the other.

(I believe there have been previous such discussions on this forum).

The problem is most people have gone from a knackered old 205 beam to a freshly reconditioned 309 beam so of course it feels 'better'. Realistically its very hard for most people to test these things even vaguely scientifically.

j_turnell

Well talking from experience i personally much prefer the 309 beam. I've driven countless 205's with various setups including fully rebuilt and uprated axels and find the 309 beam suits my driving style, if i have one, much better. I found it provides much better stability through hard cornering and less tail happy, although when it does go, best be prepared to plant the throttle and lots of opposite lock :D. TBH i think its down to the individual, a fair few people prefer the 1.9 beam.... best of driving a few cars with various setups if your unsure.

Also im not one for car aesthetics but i think the 205 looks much more purposeful with a 309 beam and find the 1.9/1.6 beam just looks odd as it doesn't fill the arches.

Guest Steen-S 309 GTI 16

How much negative camber will ZX arms give, and from what type of ZX should i find the arms?

Sign in to follow this