• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
reuben205

307 Brake Upgrade How Much Better?

reuben205

Im thinking of doin this conversion.how much better will be the braking of thesetup.realy after reviews of this.thanks reuben.

arnold naber

i have it on my rallye i brakes ok... i didin't have the mastercylinder changed. I would advice you to do change it co on my rallye its a bit ON OFF brake now...

for fast road and trackday use its hreat

tom_m

for me its a little bit like over kill. my rear brakes have being doing nothing since i fitted mine.

Jrod

Also think its overkill. I went from brembo 4 pots down to poverty spec solid discs but with some decent pads and good condition calipers and the brakes are just as good on the road, they may overheat for trak use but using vented discs should overcome that.

Craigb

This subject always gets the same varied response , but for me

They are not necessary for a road car , overkill as stated above.

For competition , they are an option , although not the lightest.

I have them fitted to mine with a bias valve and no compensators , and i love them.

Although , I wish I had tried a few other pad options first , as i believe there is still a lot of mileage out of the std caliper and a decent set of pads (DS2500's) , but since i've got them I am not going back as they work faultlessly

Just my opinion

kyepan

yep he's right this brake option has it's supporters and haters.

pro's- like hitting a wall, from any speed you can stop very quickly, time and time again, total confidence, up to the level of grip available.

Con's - needs 1.9 offset, 15 inch wheels for the 283mm setup. The discs and calipers are much heavier than the OEM items, so acceleration and handling are affected, plus you will have a longer pedal travel, although I prefer this because you can modulate the braking better.

If you really need heavy duty stoppers, they are a good cheap option, I bought mine new for about £300 from peugeot / brake parts / including the ds2500 brembo pads.

In hindsight alloy bells and alloy twin pot caliper would reduce rotational mass and unsprung weight, some people may not notice or care. Those are about 400 upwards.

article by bonzai

tom_m

i'm going to try the 266mm version from the hdi/xs(i) its the same size piston as the 206/307 setup (54mm) but less weight in the yokes and discs

Stu

Ive got a '6 setup on mine, and i would argue that it has been the best mod to the car yet. With a 406 m/c they are nice and progressive, initial bite is awesome, and theres a really good range of pads available.

Even with OEM spec Mintex ive yet to overheat them, and believe me its gets some abuse!

For me, the only downside is the price, they seem to fetch silly money now. Disks are quite expensive too.

Baz

I've got some on my 309 that'll be coming off soon...

Stu

Yeah? Are they a good setup? Might be interested for my D turbo..

McDude

Not to turn this into a massive debate about what the best set up is, but I run stock calipers with Mintex 1144 pads, braided hoses and the braking is very impressive. I've pushed them hard on road and I'm sometimes taken by surprise at the level of bite and retardation. Not been on a track yet, but really don't expect any problems.

Bigger discs seem like overkill to me.

Baz

Indeed debatable, and has been covered many a time before!

Yeah? Are they a good setup? Might be interested for my D turbo..

Yup, new discs & pads too, just returning the car to standard. ^_^

Rom

I run 307s and i love em.

Personally i dont feel they can be classed as unessecary, anymore than any other mods. We dont need better handling for the road, or faster engines etc. But most ppl here have them.

For me brakes and suspension are the first things i improve. The power of the 307s is pretty awesome, i havent swapped MC, and i quite like how the pedal is. Not jerky as some powerful brakes can be, but good feel and stand on them and you know about it ^_^

There a decent upgrade for not much money.

johno_78

i have put the 307 setup on my wifes road car with the 405mi16 m/c and they are quite simply stunning. The extra weight is not an issue for what this car is used for, and they look cool too ^_^

my track car is running the Gti'6 setup. Standard pads, grooved discs of unknown make and using the original m/c. I put them on in time for a trackday last month and they got better and better as the day went on. i had comments on how good my standard brakes were from passengers i had taken out, but these '6 brakes blow them away.

Super Josh
i have put the 307 setup on my wifes road car with the 405mi16 m/c and they are quite simply stunning. The extra weight is not an issue for what this car is used for, and they look cool too :)

my track car is running the Gti'6 setup. Standard pads, grooved discs of unknown make and using the original m/c. I put them on in time for a trackday last month and they got better and better as the day went on. i had comments on how good my standard brakes were from passengers i had taken out, but these '6 brakes blow them away.

How do the 307 and GTi6 set up compare?

Josh

Rom

Id be interested in the comparison too. From what i gather the discs are the same size. But piston is 57 on the 6.

So i guess a fair bit more pressure.

johno_78

The cars are so different in modifications and driving styles, it's a difficult comparison to make.

i must admit that i was slightly disappointed in the '6 brakes initially as they didn't seem to bite as hard as the 307's did. i think that is due to the larger m/c being used rather than anything else though.

Once bedded in, and after a few laps of me getting used to them, i found them very similar in performance. High speed stops are easily accomplished with both sets.

I think i have found the best budget set up for my personal style of driving. A slightly lighter set up for the track, with a progressive pedal for extra feel. The 307 setup on the road car, which also seemed to make the car less nervous around high speed bends, works well against the idiots who force you to do emergency stops.

Hardgraf

I've just bought some 1.9 driveshafts & GTi-6 hubs for my 1.6- S16 conversion which should run at 180bhp.

Can I run standard 1.9 calipers, 1.9 discs & some decent pads with this setup or should I go for a different option?

Also can I use the normal master cylinder from the 1.6?

Thanks

Tom

cybernck

^ yes, you can.

SPGTi

I ran the 307 283mm setup when it initially become in vogue, but soon changed back. The best way to describe it would be my car went from Cristiano Ronaldo playing in his lightweight Nike football boots to Cristiano Ronaldo playing in hobnail boots that were 3 sizes too big.

I now run std calipers that I rebuilt, cheapest discs I can find, Carbon Lorraine pads, Halfords 5.1 fluid, all lines are braided running inside the car through a bias valve and hydraulic handbrake. They get lots of abuse and left foot braking (touches some wood) never faded and never let me down. Oh yes and during night events the discs glow and you get sparks :D

steve

Rob Thomson

I'm firmly in the 'you don't need them' camp, not unless you do some serious track mileage anyway. I've done masses of rallying over the years with standard front brakes (albeit with slightly upgraded pads) and have no problems with fade and have been able to stop as quickly as anyone. I hated the '6 brakes I had on my 309. Totally f*cked up the feel (despite using a 406 MC) and definitely affected the handing to a degree.

Also remember that if you uprate the front brakes you'll need to adjust the front/rear balance because the rears will do less. If the rears aren't working you get more dive to the front (cos the rear brakes cause the rear suspension to squat), and it's that effect (or the lack of it) that I reckon can give the impression that big brakes make the car stand on its nose. I did back-to-back stopping distance tests with the 309 before and after I reverted back to the standard brakes are there was nothing in it.

Alastairh

I have GTi6 setup on my Mi.

I like them, with no rear comps aswell.

Biggest problem is the Mintex 1144s i run are killing my refurbed rims.

jackherer
I'm firmly in the 'you don't need them' camp, not unless you do some serious track mileage anyway. I've done masses of rallying over the years with standard front brakes (albeit with slightly upgraded pads) and have no problems with fade and have been able to stop as quickly as anyone. I hated the '6 brakes I had on my 309. Totally f*cked up the feel (despite using a 406 MC) and definitely affected the handing to a degree.

I couldn't agree more, decent pads and fluid is all you need.

huckleberry

I run the 307 brake front setup and I would do it again if I'd buy another 205 gti. To me it's kind of a safe feeling that I have brakes that won't give up. I run very litle trackdays but it just feels safe to have a bigger setup. But his is also fueled by others who have used uprated standard brakes and the gti6 setup and they were never happy with those and are happy with the 307 setup. The only drawback is the weight. The cost are very low as every braker is full of killed 307s and the setup is on everyone exept the 1.4 model.

projectpug

Another one here for decent standard discs, Ferrodo DS3000's Fully braided hoses and also some brake ducting to keep things cool from the foglight area. The braking with r888's on is amazing i suggest most people stick with upgrading the 247mm standard brakes as suggested before jumping on the 307's.

Sign in to follow this