• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
renault 17

20mm Torsion Bars

renault 17

I rebuilt my 205 back axle 2 weeks ago with 306 trailing arms 19mm torsion bars and a 21mm anti roll bar, but last week I came across an axle with 20mm torsion bars that had come as part of a spares package with a friends rally car. So i stripped out the 19mm bars with the intention of replacing them with the 20mm ones ... however the ends of the 20mm bars are smaller and have less splines and won't fit. Any idea whats going on.

Thanks.

pug_ham

They should fit straight on if they are genuine 20mm Peugeot torsion bars, I've got some fitted to my 205 beam.

Does neither end fit?

Graham.

Toddy
They should fit straight on if they are genuine 20mm Peugeot torsion bars, I've got some fitted to my 205 beam.

Does neither end fit?

Graham.

I have 20mm bars also, iirc very early rear beams are slightly different as the old pug sport catalogue used to say the bars were for vehicles from chassis No. xxxxxx forward, therefore the beam they came out of may have been a very early beam?

philfingers

aye either as Toddy says the earlier beams were different. You are aware that the torsion bars are different at each end? ie one end is smaller than the other so they only go one way??

Phil

pug_ham

I thougth of this after my orignal reply but haven't had chance to post again until now.

I don't think they made any uprated bars for the earlier beams, I've got a few PTS catalgues ( here & they all list bars for beams from chassis # post 5895923 but none listed for earlier chassis numbers.

Graham.

Bally

you have to use an early rear beam and back arms for those to work.I have the same ones out of a skip brown kit and only works with early typw rear ends.

Sign in to follow this