• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Lean Mean Peugeot Steak Frying Machine

wardy18

ok so got yet another teething prblem with the hillclimb car

once i sorted out the engine cooling i could actually idle the car and maintain approx 80-85deg but this then revealed a new problem

It would appear that i have no heatshields in the exhaust tunnel and thus meaning i could easily cook up some nice steaks inside the car on the tunnel while im waiting for my run (you think im joking, i couldnt hold my hand on it it was that hot)

So obviously im gonna buy some heat shield matting to fit underneath, have seen this stuff on ebay:

DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield - Heat & Sound Insulation

This revolutionary material adds a new dimension to controlling heat with minimal clearance needed, only 3/16"! The floor and Tunnel Shield is constructed utilizing an embossed 10 mil aluminum face bonded to a 1/8" composite fibreglass insulation and is backed with an aggressive adhesive that holds past 450°F.

Capable of handling direct temperatures up to 1750°F. Tough enough for under vehicle applications. This unique material can also block out up to 50% of unwanted road noise.

# Great sound barrier.

# Tough and attractive.

# 1750°F. Direct heat capabilities.

# Self adhesive for easy installation.

# Unique material works in harsh environments.

# Can be cut with tin-snips to any shape.

Do you reckon this will do the job, i need to do something as i have inside brake lines and fuel lines running along the top of this fuel tunnel so im cooking the fuel and brake fluid before it even gets anywhere!!

Thanx all

Edited by wardy18

tom_m

i know exactly what you mean

i've just plastered the stuff on my firewall in the engine bay and am planning to do the same on the exhaust tunnel. can't report on how effective it is yet, but it looks good :)

wardy18

ah so at least im not the only one, the car came to a stand still 3 times on mondays event, i reckon the heat was evaporating my fuel in the line!!

where did you get yours from and how much was it?!

alync406
ah so at least im not the only one, the car came to a stand still 3 times on mondays event, i reckon the heat was evaporating my fuel in the line!!

I used some of this sort of heat shield in the tunnel of my car. heat shield

Edited by alync406

wardy18

link wont work mate

tom_m

demon thieves, about 40 quid for a sheet almost 2ft square

alync406
demon thieves, about 40 quid for a sheet almost 2ft square

Theres cheaper ones than 40 quid - theres ones for about 20 or less

welshpug

if its getting that hot it makes me think there's something wrong with the exhaust or engine :)

wardy18

well im running a 10.9 CR and a Heat Wrapped 4:1 Magnex manifold so im thinkin this is the cause to be honest, with such a high CR its bound to run alot hotter

there is this stuff i have seen which is alot cheaper (BUT IS THAT FOR A REASON):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEATSHIELD-MAT-200SX...1742.m153.l1262

not sure what to go for?!

tom_m
if its getting that hot it makes me think there's something wrong with the exhaust or engine :)

nah its perfectly normal, both james and i have run bogo 1.9 8vs with stripped interiors and they both got way hot on the exhaust tunnel. when i removed the sound mat from the bulkhead it had cooked the seam sealant off where it meets the tunnel (that was the magnex's fault tho i think)

wardy18
i removed the sound mat from the bulkhead it had cooked the seam sealant off where it meets the tunnel (that was the magnex's fault tho i think)

Yes mine has done exactly the same, i need to re seal this gap along the bottom of the bulkhead

there is also this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=020

which one do you reckon i should go for, im swaying more towards the DEI stuff but because it seems to be the only one ive heard of before and the price (id hope) reflects quality.

Which would you choose?!

wardy18

I think its going to have to be the DEI Heat Barrier Shield:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007

I will just need ot measure the tunnel and see if i can get away with the 21" x 2', i can cut this in half so i have 2 lenghts of 10.5" x 12", should be enough for the tunnel and i cant afford much more :)

Edited by wardy18

wardy18

yeh thats the one im gonna go for i think, knowing my luck if i went the cheap route and got some unknown stuff it would probbaly catch fire within the first minute and disentegrate to nothing!!

how much did u get?!

do you reckon 2 sheets of 12" x 10.5" will do the tunnel enough?!

ill need to measure up i think

DamirGTI
well im running a 10.9 CR and a Heat Wrapped 4:1 Magnex manifold so im thinkin this is the cause to be honest, with such a high CR its bound to run alot hotter

there is this stuff i have seen which is alot cheaper (BUT IS THAT FOR A REASON):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEATSHIELD-MAT-200SX...1742.m153.l1262

not sure what to go for?!

The cause could be the ignition timing :) retarded or over-advanced ignition timing does have an effect on engine temp. (severely retarded ignition timing will make the exhaust manifold glow red !!)

Im running 11.1 CR without any problem regarding the engine temp. :D , but yes the engine heats up quicker then before when was standard with 9.6 CR .. and operating temp. is roughly 10C higher then before but i've sorted that with low temp. thermostat (for summer :o )

Rgs !

Damir

tom_m
yeh thats the one im gonna go for i think, knowing my luck if i went the cheap route and got some unknown stuff it would probbaly catch fire within the first minute and disentegrate to nothing!!

how much did u get?!

do you reckon 2 sheets of 12" x 10.5" will do the tunnel enough?!

ill need to measure up i think

the smallest sheet they do is 2' by 21" (nearly 4ft square), one should be enough to do the whole side (inside or out) of the tunnel i reckon,

it took less than half that to do the engine bay side of the firewall.

wardy18
The cause could be the ignition timing :) retarded or over-advanced ignition timing does have an effect on engine temp. (severely retarded ignition timing will make the exhaust manifold glow red !!)

Im running 11.1 CR without any problem regarding the engine temp. :D , but yes the engine heats up quicker then before when was standard with 9.6 CR .. and operating temp. is roughly 10C higher then before but i've sorted that with low temp. thermostat (for summer :o )

Rgs !

Damir

My ignition timing is yet to be set so yeh this could be adding to the issue, i have no iead whether im advanced or retarded at the moment, have had so many other teething problems to sort out so far i havent managed to get clean runs to set it up, all sorted now thou so on to the fine tuning of the ignition and carbs, going to set the ignition timing to 32deg as i seem to get different answers from everyone and without a rolling road i have no way of setting it precisely!!

VisaGTi16v

My tunnel is quite hot to touch but you can keep your hand on it, thats with standard CR. However the time my exhaust manifold cracked it got hotter, I only realised when I felt my left foot burning through my shoe where it was on the floor to the left of the clutch pedal!!

philfingers

had this problem on my 309. Std motor and std exhaust. The bit just under the handbrake got so hot it melted the carpet and you couldn't touch it. This was at 70 mph on the motorway in the winter!

Changed the exhaust and perfect, still a little warm but nothing unusuall. It didn't make any more power either so the exhaust wasn't restricting it.

My 205 driving home yesterday (8v motor, upped compression, Gp A cam, head etc) doesn't get any hotter than the std 309 did

Folk suggested to me it could have been ignition but it all ran ok. Definately look at the exhaust

Phil

tom_m

mine was a stainless steel jobbie, james' a bogo 2 piece. both got hot hot hot

wardy18

i had a look under before and im thinking it may also be due to a flexi pipe i have which joins the magnex mani to the rest of the system, the metal possibly isnt as good at dealing with heat and so it heating up alot more than the rest of the system

looking at it all its gonna be a SH!T job to lay all that heat shield stuff there

Tom, how did you do you the matting around the rubber stuff that surrounds the bottom of the gear lever, did you go that far back?!

tom_m
Tom, how did you do you the matting around the rubber stuff that surrounds the bottom of the gear lever, did you go that far back?!

i've not got that far yet. but its fairly easy to trim, so i can't see going round it being a problem.

wardy18

ok nice one well it should be here in a few days so ill give it a shot

did u clean the surface before you stuck it down, the glue on it must be pretty strong, im tempted to rivet it with some washers to hold it in place, ill see how well it sticks first?!

tom_m
ok nice one well it should be here in a few days so ill give it a shot

did u clean the surface before you stuck it down, the glue on it must be pretty strong, im tempted to rivet it with some washers to hold it in place, ill see how well it sticks first?!

yeah gave the surface a general degrease to give it a head start. its pretty heavy duty stuff, no chance of a re-position if you mess up.

i was debating riveting it, but not bothered for now

wardy18

ok thanx mate

ill report on the outcome

Sign in to follow this