• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Retro Pug

Ipod Ready Head Unit

Retro Pug

Hi, Ive done a search but can seem to find anything on this....

I've just been given an Ipod Classic and would like to use it in the car and be able to controll it via a head unit.

Looking at spending around £150?

Can anyone recommend one? Do I need anything else?

Cheers

John

daveholman

Just a word of advice, don't buy one of these ones where you can plug a USB lead into the front and run your Ipod of that, I got one and while in principle they're great, you can't actually scroll through a list of songs you have and on mine the songs were in absolutely no order that I recognised from any of the lists on my Ipod.

damien

im sure halfords sell a ripspeed HU for around £80, mite be worth having a play with one of them

Retro Pug

Thanks all. I think I'm going to look at the Alpine choices.... I'll use Halfroads as a showroom.

Ive got a Alpine one, can't remember the model number!

can't fault it at all tbh.

I paid £150 for that over a year ago!

Its kinda like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINE-CDE-9872R-CDE...1QQcmdZViewItem

I cant get the link to work but does your headunit allow full control of the ipod?

timb1046

i have an alpine glidetouch one, it works realy we;;, i just plug the ipod in stick it somwhere tidy and then all control is through the headunit, cant fault alpine, all there headunits i've owned have been second to none

pike_1.9cti

Brought this one for my missus at xmas, works really well, plus its blutooth so can link your phone to do hands free through you car speakers. Also if you have a sony ericsson or other blutooth media player you can link it via blutooth and use the head unit to scroll through the song list. The only thing it doesnt do is let you control the external media player through the head unit when you connect via front input.

Thing is at this price you'd have money left to get a blutooth adaptor for you external media player (if availiable for ipod)

Sony bt2500

Coonper

Ive got an alpine 9855R head unit for sale. Its a glide touch one and you control the ipod from the head unit. Whats more, it charges the ipod while your listening!

£170 posted and its yours buddy! :) Retail is over £300

RyszW

Is it not worth just spending £20 on an itrip and hang the ipod into a mobile phone holder? This is what I do and it makes life a lot easier and is a fair bit cheaper!

Rysz.

Coonper

Those itrips are crap.

The sound quality through is diabolical and loads of the frequency range is missed off, resulting in a loss of depth and clarity in the music.

RyszW
Those itrips are crap.

The sound quality through is diabolical and loads of the frequency range is missed off, resulting in a loss of depth and clarity in the music.

Thing is, in a car, especially a 205 at full chat, how much of the lost frequency range can you actually hear, also, as most people use itunes for their ipod with compressed mp3's or ACC files, most of this has been lost anyway, it would only be an advantage that I can see if you use flacs or similar through a high quality stereo setup...

Just my two penneth worth...

Rysz.

Super Josh
Thing is, in a car, especially a 205 at full chat, how much of the lost frequency range can you actually hear, also, as most people use itunes for their ipod with compressed mp3's or ACC files, most of this has been lost anyway, it would only be an advantage that I can see if you use flacs or similar through a high quality stereo setup...

Just my two penneth worth...

Rysz.

Yes, but the thing is you are taking bandwidth away from your compressed MP3s. So making something just about bearable into something that is utterly rubbish :rolleyes:

Josh

RyszW
Yes, but the thing is you are taking bandwidth away from your compressed MP3s. So making something just about bearable into something that is utterly rubbish :rolleyes:

Josh

Agreed Josh, but until I sort out my in car PC, so that I can run my flacs through, it really will do!

Laptop, Old PDA and Sidewindow for the win, a touch screen In car PC with GPS for under £100! :ph34r:

Rysz.

Super Josh
Agreed Josh, but until I sort out my in car PC, so that I can run my flacs through, it really will do!

Laptop, Old PDA and Sidewindow for the win, a touch screen In car PC with GPS for under £100! :ph34r:

Rysz.

FLAC FTW :D

Which PDA are you going to use BTW and what software will yoiu run on it? :rolleyes:

Josh

RyszW
FLAC FTW :ph34r:

Which PDA are you going to use BTW and what software will yoiu run on it? :rolleyes:

Josh

Any colour PDA with a touchscreen should work, I am thinking about an old ipaq that I have kicking around.

I will run Innobec Sidewindow on the laptop to extend the screen over a USB connection and then use a version of this: http://www.fluxmedia.net/ for the skin over the OS tweaked to the size of the PDA screen.

Use a USB GPS receiver and MS MapPoint and hey presto GPS AND it will hook onto my wireless network and update all the songs!

Just sourcing a laptop at the mo.

Rysz.

Sign in to follow this