• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

Fitting Coilovers

All Praise The GTI

as above really. sorry if its a silly Q. but dont want to fitt them then find out they do/dont need them.

thanks

tom_m

whats the make and model?

All Praise The GTI

205. they are the gaz gha coilovers from the group buy

tom_m
205. they are the gaz gha coilovers from the group buy

in that case yes they should be fitted with bump stops and dust gaiters would be beneficial to longevity. i thought you got bump stops with the gaz kits, the last gold kit i saw came with them. you could use the standard bump stops, since i presume you're going to be using the standard top mounts?

All Praise The GTI

no they didnt come with any bumpstops. yes for now they are going on with standard topmounts,bbm group N dohnuts and new bearings.

so i can just fitt some normal bumpstops? anyone got the pug part no? will i need to trim/shorten them? ill be dropping it 45mm ish i think.

mite fitt some dust gaiters then also just to keep them clean!

welshpug

check with GAZ, they may have internal bump stops, if not ask what they would advise on the sizing.

Pugnut
in that case yes they should be fitted with bump stops and dust gaiters would be beneficial to longevity. i thought you got bump stops with the gaz kits, the last gold kit i saw came with them. you could use the standard bump stops, since i presume you're going to be using the standard top mounts?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

the kit i have came with bumpstops.

if lowering a car even if you're using standard topmounts you should use shorter harder bumpstops. cutting the standard ones down will render them useless. leaving them the standard length will batter the top of the strut constantly and ruin it in no time. the car wont handle well either.

contact gaz or cybernk to find out why you didnt receive bumpstops. And if you weren't meant to receive , then gaz will supply you with the correct ones.

running without gaiters will shorten the life of the shocks especially if you're out in all seasons with the car. If its not your daily driver and its used as a fair weather road car/track car with limited mileage i wouldn't worry too much . since the standard gaiters are held on by the bumpstops you'll need another method of fitting them.

All Praise The GTI

ok thanks for the info guys

tom_m
if lowering a car even if you're using standard topmounts you should use shorter harder bumpstops. cutting the standard ones down will render them useless. leaving them the standard length will batter the top of the strut constantly and ruin it in no time. the car wont handle well either.

NO NO NO the bump stop is there to stop the piston inside the damper hitting the end of the cylinder. the bump stop length should be determined by the damper manufacturer NOT your ride height. the bump stop hitting the top of the damper will do no damage compared to the piston hitting the end of the damper, which will ruin the damper internals VERY quickly!

the length of you bump stops will have no effect on handling or ride quality, if you are constantly hitting the bump stops your ride height is too low, your dampers are too short or your springs are too soft.

Pugnut
NO NO NO the bump stop is there to stop the piston inside the damper hitting the end of the cylinder. the bump stop length should be determined by the damper manufacturer NOT your ride height. the bump stop hitting the top of the damper will do no damage compared to the piston hitting the end of the damper, which will ruin the damper internals VERY quickly!

yes, i know . but were talking about using LONG bumpstops on a car 50mm nearer the ground where there a good chance that the top of the strut will take a hammering. Yes, if you're fitting standard length shocks regardless of ride height then the bumpstops should remain standard to protect the strut . But were talking about fitting a completely non standard setup, which will require expert advice (not mine) from the manafacturer as i and others stated above.

the length of you bump stops will have no effect on handling or ride quality, if you are constantly hitting the bump stops your ride height is too low, your dampers are too short or your springs are too soft.

or your bump stops are too long!!

45mm lower with the standard bumpstops doesnt leave much room for piston travel. so you're saying this doesnt affect handling? bumpstops should be long enough to stop the spring binding and the piston bottoming out , but short enough so your not riding on them . saying 'yeh just bung in the standard ones' is a bit misleading. obviously with a coilover kit, ride height and spring selection also play a big part

heres a pic of my gaz kit (which was bought a year or so ago) with the supplied shorter harder stops:

edit: will upload as soon as i get off this damned boat!

cybernck

SwedishBob also got bumpstops on his:

1.jpg

so maybe they have just forgotten to put yours on :rolleyes:... as you were the first one to order :).

just get back in touch with GAZ representative and he should be able to sort you out :).

sorry for the inconvenience.

Pt2051900tdic
SwedishBob also got bumpstops on his:

1.jpg

so maybe they have just forgotten to put yours on :)... as you were the first one to order :).

just get back in touch with GAZ representative and he should be able to sort you out B).

sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi

What i need to fit the excentic top mounts on it?

Any pics of the stuff?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this