• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mwilcock

Turbo Engine Xu10 J2te

whizzer71
tps wont affect it running as bad as your saying.

Id suggest you compression test it now the belts on in the correct timing position and post the results.

Ill go with that ,Its not something as simple as leads/plugs breaking down is it ?,or overboosting ?

mwilcock

ok well, im gonna get the belt timed up correctly tommorow

then ill get a tester and pressure test it,

what problems would " bad pressure " cause

what pressures am i looking for?

welshpug

well at least we know the TPS works fine Mike, the S16 works the same as the GTi6 so it would be different like Whizzer said.

mwilcock
Its not something as simple as leads/plugs breaking down is it ?,or overboosting ?

brand new plugs so id say no to that

leads breaking down, it revs fine on tickover revs up little bit of a miss every now and again, but possible, plugs blacken very quickly, i cleaned them, drove it 200yrds and they wer completely black again

and as for overboost, i dont understand how it could do that?

Edited by mwilcock

mwilcock

anyone at least know what the pressures are?

TT205

If your TPS is wired in the wrong way round it may run rough - mine did - I had this with my throttle body set up when it went for mapping - very rich, popping and farting, just managed to get it on a trailer and off at the other end, then needed a new set of plugs! (and the TPS wiring swapping round)

mwilcock

what should i swap?

pins 1 and 3?

inferno

unplug the TPS for now and see what happens. itll still run disconnected but just not fuel properly, possibly, at WOT.

Cylinder pressures should be equal-ish throughout the 4, anything drasticly out in your case could indicate bent valves. PITA if you have never got involved with engine work before, but im sure we could guide you through it if needbe.

Have you checked the gaps of 'the new' spark plugs? there not gapped 100% of the time from the box, and if there too big it wont spark properly under boost.

Post the compression test results if it doesnt run properly with timing adjusted.

Also check for boost pipe leaks, you mentioned wooshing from the ISCV, maybe a jubilee isnt done up properly.

mwilcock

yeah im not very aware with engines, i know the basics and i can go off what you tell me

however, what is "WOT"? what is "PITA" AND "ISCV" idle supply control valve?

got my new timing belt today, 21.86

so i will get that on tommorrow compression test it and post back

thanks for the replies

Mike

welshpug

WOT; Wide Open Throttle.

PITA; Pain In The Arse :)

ISCV; you got it, Idle valve.

mwilcock

cheers mei, im still learning these little slang terms like "IMO" ???

inferno

In My Opinion ! IMO

dcc

with my 1.9gti, when i had foot flat to the floor, it would miss and fart till god knows when.

turns out the head gasket needs replacing. maybe an idea for you to consider.

mwilcock

its showing no signs of headgasket failure, e.g white puss, white smoke etc so i dont think its that

done the compression test all between 80 and 90 at , wait for it, WOT

adjusted the timing seemed to be off by 1 err, tooth?

started her up and she started but was, well, sounded like running on 1 or 2 cylinders?

and it wont rev up no more just doesnt do anything, after a while it wont start at all until you completely remove the icv

plugs blacken straight away?

another thing, ive never had the other end of the icv connected to a boost pipe would this make a difference?

Edited by mwilcock

inferno

Sooo either your head gaskets shot, or your valves are bent or your testing method was not good enough.

Did you use a proper screw in fit type tester? youd be looking for results of around 140 iirc so 80-90 seems very poor.

Get a piccy up of how your routing the ISCV, we can soon tell if its plumbed right.

Who did the comp check? did he say anything about it?

If it was mine id have the head off... theres fuel and spark, it starts but missfires, timing is now correct, my moneys on bent valves.

whizzer71

Hasn't got a leaking or "Open" injector/s has it ?

^_^

mwilcock

it wanst a screw in 1 it was just a push on 1 and hold it down

what would cause the dam thing to over fuel so much???

and what is an open injector?

Edited by mwilcock

inferno

try to get a screw in compression tester on it, the push in ones arent always a good fit.

On startup the car will always put in more fuel, i dont think it would be over fuelling so bad it misses on 2 cylinders, going on the issues you had with the timing belt. That says bent valves to me.

However if its overfuelled so bad your borewashing, and thats causing high crankcase pressure and the blowing through the ISCV that could be a possibility in theory, but ive never seen it before. Did you take the fuel pump fuse out when you ran the compression test? try it with a splash of oil in the cylinders too.

IMO over fueling and bore washing wouldnt cause such a low compression reading though. If this was the case youd need to check fuel pressure, blocked return lines, and maybe have the injectors professionally cleaned (cleaning is actually a good thing to do anyway weather there the problem or not).

Its a shame im so far away, id love to come over and get this sorted once and for all.

mwilcock

im using an 306 s16 fuel pump on a switch :)

ive got hold of a screw in pressure tester and im going to go and try that now

how much is injector cleaning?

Is there any way the coil/dizzie could play up under load like?

What are the trains like near you, id gladly pay for you to come up and fix it if your interested lol

on another note nothing to do with this, in the citroen xantia activa, is it an rgy or and rgx engine?

been offered one very cheap, like less than 200quid cheap ;)

mwilcock

used a screw in snap on tester, let engine turn over like 4-5 times, all chambers between 170-180psi :)

took my return hose off and itwas empty, i blew down it and although it felt like it was hard to blown down the line was empty so ........

so... back to square one..... ;)

mwilcock
DamirGTI:

Intermotor" makes massive crap ignition amp's and they are the most common "aftermarket replacement" in ordinary car part store (well at least over here ..) ...

I have this item on mine :)

craig f90
I have this item on mine :)

Ive just been reading this amp post. ^^^^^^^^worth a shot.

mwilcock

this engine is wierd

im doing all mad things now to see what makes a difference

i swapped all injectors around from, how ive labelled them, I II III IIII to IIII III II I

and it still started up, didnt rev at all hardly but the plugs wernt covered in black soot when it had stopped running

i put the injectors back, started her up, tried to rev and it wouldnt really, i unplugged the tps, this would let me rev a bit but not much, this engine is going worser by the day....

im wondering if when ive altered the cam timing ive made it worse, but, both the holes line up on the pulleys now???

mwilcock

can someone get me some pictures of a bottom pulley lined up with the timing hole please, i may have done it wrong :)

whizzer71

Dont use the bottom pulley mate,the relation between the outer and inner pulley alters in time (They are sandwiched with rubber and they slip!),I have fitted belts to 4 of these engines now and all the bottom pulleys on them have been out !.

See if you can find yourself an old 1.9 8v solid pulley and just use this to line the crank up,Basically when its lined up properly all four pistons will be level half way up the bores,Either that or get yourself a brand new genuine belt (Not that expensive) it will have "white lines" on it which line up with a mark on the cam and crank pulleys and self align it all for you !.

Its so simple that once its sorted you'll see just how far out it was,one of the ones I did was nearly half way out ! (180 degrees)

:)

Sign in to follow this