• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

1.9 Mi16 Issue

timmsy19

Hi all

Just got my first Mi16 so im really new the the whole XU engine.

Got a bit of an issue on start up. Turning the key of the car and the revs go right up to about 4k then drop slowly to about 2 then drops rapidly and cuts out

However if you put your foot to the floor before it dies it will take about 5seconds then rev right back up again. Keep doing this for a few mintues then the idle will kind of stablize around 1k but still abit lumpy

Leave the car idling for about 5 mins then it will only use 3 cylinders, then 2, then 1 and then cut out and die.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance

Edited by timmsy19

AdamVester

on a normal 8v 1.9 id say cold start.. so idle control valve? (ontop of the manifold the silver round thing) clean up the connectors on it see if that helps it.. failing that its doubtfull though but your intlet manifold gasket might make a simular problem with pushing the idel speed right up. (did that on my old 8v)

check all your injectors aswell see if they clean if not give them a clean. also how longs the car/engine been stood?

timmsy19

right will have a go at cleaning them up

been stood for over a year but ive been told its been started quite regulary

Edited by timmsy19

AdamVester

someone would tell u the car was made of gold to try sell it if they had to :P

timmsy19

yeah thats true.

well come up with another issue. Doenst seem to want to start this morning very well and when it does start it revs up once then dies.

AdamVester

in that case its more than likely for sure the ICV (idel control valve) just buy one from ebay or someone on here they wont set you back anymore than £20 with delivery so always worth trying. but yeah its definatly worth cleaning up the injectors and giving it a good service anyway.

boombang

what do the plugs look like?

timmsy19

not had chance to get the plugs out yet. i take it should just be looking for discoluration and the usal with the plugs

AdamVester

yeah normaly they go green!!! just clean them with a screw driver (scratch it off) and yeah normal with plugs..

boombang

Just wondering if the plugs are sooted up due to overfuelling.

Could be a lot of things but it's a pretty good place to start.

timmsy19

yeah cheers for the advice boombang. it does seem to be overfuling alot considering its not getting enough air to ignight the fuel with.

Edited by timmsy19

timmsy19

right ive cleaned the ICV but now the engine wont start at all.

although it sounds like it wants to start it just wont.

anyone have any ideas?

AdamVester

injectors all on correct? coil lead on (i did a boo boo and mine was off lol) um leads, plugs? earths etc etc... check all then give it ago.. give it a few turns and put your food on the accel then turn again see if it fires up.

GLPoomobile

If the injectors are sooted then it's overfueling, which confirms what I suspected (I've joined this topic late!). So I'd be looking at the ECU temp sender and the AFM.

The temp sender can be tested for resistance (download the CAPS program for help, it's a sticky in one of the tech sections) but only costs a tenner to replace anyway.

The AFM may have a sticky flap (mine was stuck open and did similar things to yours) or it may have lost it's spring tension causing it to run rich. The spring should snap shut very eagerly if you open it by hand and let go.

timmsy19

Adam: ive checked all the usuals and seems fine to me. checked and made sure there all sparking and they are.

GLP: AFM seems fine, springs back as if it wants to eat your fingers off

where would i find the ECU temp sensor?

Edited by timmsy19

timmsy19

thought i would update you all.

car now idles perectly. quite sure it was a buggered ICV as i changed it for another one today.

the starting issue was more aqn issue of me forgettign there was hardly an petrol left. :ph34r:

thanks for everyone help :lol:

Sign in to follow this