• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
reuben205

Best Place To Buy Shock Absorbers And How To Replace One?

reuben205

Ive got a leaking standard shock on the n/s.Wheres the best place to purchase from?should i change both and is there any guides for replacement?

Any help appreciated thanks

Tom Fenton

Front or rear?

Where to get the from depends on your budget and requirements, you have a choice ranging from dirt cheap aftermarket replacements of questionable quality, OE spec replacements, Genuine Peugeot replacements, and then all manner of uprated gear.

Yes you should definitely change dampers in pairs.

reuben205

Front dampers,i need it to get through the mot really,then i want to change over to 306gti6 dampers and 307 brakes

McDude

Remove Drop Link

Compress spring

Undo Pinch bolt

Undo 3 turret bolts

Remove strut

Undo top nut of damper

Remove top mount (remembering what order it goes together)

Replace new damper and put everything back together!

Haynes manual is handy for things like how the whole top mount fits together and more detail of the above.

Things they don't tell you:

It is a 22mm ring spanner job combined with a 7mm allen key to do the top nut - make sure you have these before you start

Line the tab on the strut up as you slide it back into the hub - prise the pinch apart with a big allen key or sump plug wrench to let the strut seat properly

reuben205

Do i need spring compressors if im not removing the spring.If i replaced complete a strut?or does it need to be compressed tget the pinch bolt back in?

Edited by reuben205

McDude
Do i need spring compressors if im not removing the spring.If i replaced complete a strut?or does it need to be compressed tget the pinch bolt back in?

You can't remove the damper without removing the spring at the same time. You need to compress the springs for a number of reasons, to get the strut assembly out in the first place, to remove the top mount without the spring blatting you in the face, to get the top mount back on and finally to fit it back in place.

Get yourself a Haynes manual - best £10 you can spend.

number2301
Remove strut

Those 2 words there make it sound easy :P

And mine was a 21mm nut on top of the standard struts, 22mm on the Bilsteins I got to replace them and the replacement nut from Peugeot was 19mm :lol:

But if you follow Haynes you can't go that far wrong.

McDude

Yes - I forgot the details of swearing and knuckle scuffing and general belting things with hammers.

I think I put it slightly in the wrong order too. Slide* the damper out of the hub before removing the 3 turret nuts.

*I mean 'slide' in the Haynes sense, i.e. fight with it for hours

reuben205

Will attempt this in the week guys.Really appreciate the info and hopefully get somewhere with this!

Sign in to follow this