• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danpug

Fitting Gti6 Brakes Under 14 Inch Alloys

danpug

As above, would it be possible to fit them under 14 inch alloys somehow? For example could the alloys be machined or is it a no no? The alloys in question would be roland garros.

Anthony

I wouldn't have thought so - there's only about 4-5mm clearance between the caliper and wheel with 15" alloys

266mm stuff (306 S16/XSi, 206 GTi etc) fits without problem under 14's though.

Tom Fenton
266mm stuff (306 S16/XSi, 206 GTi etc) fits without problem under 14's though.

Is this something you know for definite?

Just that when I asked a similar question a while ago people said they didn't fit (under 1.6 pepperpots)?

I want to keep the standard wheels, but would like bigger brakes.

danpug

266mm definitely don't fit under 1.6 alloys, i tried it myslef. They went under 14 inch berlingo steels though. The 266mm setup won't be suitable for the power i should (fingers crossed!) be running.

Anthony
Is this something you know for definite?

Just that when I asked a similar question a while ago people said they didn't fit (under 1.6 pepperpots)?

Sorry, I should expand on that slightly as what I wrote could be seen as slightly misleading - they fit fine under 14" diameter wheels per-se in that there's space between the caliper and wheel rim, but on some wheels you have issues with spoke clearance which from memory is the issue with 1.6 GTi alloys. Most other 14" wheels they will fit under though as far as I'm aware.

Tom Fenton

Ah right, interesting stuff, so perhaps with some spacers to move the wheel away from the caliper it is possible, I'll have to look into it.

SPGTi

Some 1.6 alloys fit over the 266m setup some don't. A friend had this setup on his roadrally car and decided to change his front wheels just before the start from 1.6 alloys with tarmacs to 1.6 alloys with knobblies. Just after the start he had to pull over and change the wheels back as on one side the caliper was catching on the alloy, other side was OK.

Didn't seem any logic to it, and he said trying all the wheels he had home some fitted and some didn't.

Steve

danpug

Strange. When i fitted mine and put 1.6 alloys on they jammed solid, would bearly move. After removing the wheels you could clearly see a score mark on the inside of each wheel!

welshpug

its a similar issue to 1.6 wheels over 1.9 brakes, some catch some dont, IIRC the difference is between SMR and Speedline wheels as the profile of the inside of the wheel differs.

also the offset of the 266 mm brakes are the same as 1.9 and gti6 brakes, placing them closer to an ET25 1.6 rim, but not to a standard steel wheel which has a different offset and profile (like the 1.9 wheels)

GLPoomobile

There's an equation that explains all of this

french tolerences x italian tolerances = complete and utter randomness!

danpug

Lmao, totally true i suspect!

Sign in to follow this