• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

"classic" Front Number Plate.

macaroni

When I bought my gti, all the red trim was painted black.

I have now restored it to its former red glory, apart from the front bumper strip.

I want to keep that black and fit a "classic" silver on black number plate.

I think it will look pretty menacing, am I alone?

pacey205

Ive seen one on a silver car that did look quite nice but its illegal to fit them so I cant see the point personally.

Michael

Flix

Don't do it you'll get a £40 fine.

Police are very keen on illegal plates, it must be an easy job for them. :lol:

macaroni

I know its illegal.

Having said that, in this months EVO test of the Avro Mirage 720, the car has classic plates front and back and they even make mention of how cool they look. They then proceed to drive it around Surrey.

I will cite that in my defence.

Tom Fenton

Personally I think they look stupid on anything not old enough to legally carry one, and ESPECIALLY stupid on a car that wasn't even made during the period when they were fitted.

macaroni

I found this! I think it looks great, but mine will be better with a black trim stripe...

205_gti.jpg

I'll post a picture of mine when its fitted, I'm sure you'll all love it!

GLPoomobile

Hang on, forget the plate for a second. Have I got this right? You are going to have red trim strips all around EXCEPT the front bumper strip, which will be black?

Dude, that's going to look sooooo stupid :lol: Like people who replace a wing after a prang and leave it primered, or a different colour to the rest of the car :lol:

macaroni

You're probably right and I have a new red trim on order, just in case!

Believe me, I hated the car with all the red trims (badly) painted black, this is just a bit of fun.

Still, don't judge till you've seen the pics. I could start a new trend!

macaroni

Come to think of it, my old Volvo 480 just had red stripes at the side, but not the front or back.

Image012-2.jpg

Damn, I didn't think of this idea all by myself!

cRaig

Rather than classic numberplates- I have gone for a pressed euro stylee ones, while still illegal, they are at least the right colours :D

dscf2112bs2.th.jpg

2-Pugs
Rather than classic numberplates- I have gone for a pressed euro stylee ones, while still illegal, they are at least the right colours :ph34r:

dscf2112bs2.th.jpg

They're quite cool, where did you get them from and how much were they?

Henry Yorke

Get a UK plate and get it so it fits the french numberplate hole in the bumper. It looks 100% standard but different

cRaig
They're quite cool, where did you get them from and how much were they?

http://www.theplateman.com/home.htm They are very high quality, made in the same factory as the genuine euro ones, reflective paint etc. Not overly cheap tho

macaroni

I've done it and I'll post pics later.

I hate flags on plates, thats part of the reason I wanted to change the ones already fitted. Along with the slogan "if its got wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it".

macaroni

OK, here goes, my nomex suit is on, so flame away!!

DSCF1375.jpg

DSCF1377.jpg

Dan Ingram

The black strip just doesn't look right to me.

Arahan

The number plate doesn't look too bad, but i think the colour of your car helps in that respect

Jrod

Black strips all round imo.

richsmells

Move to Guernsey! :rolleyes:

I think they only look good on VWs.

Baz

It needs the strip to break it up IMO. :rolleyes:

Tom Fenton

Illegal and gash IMO. Sorry.

macaroni

Please don't apologise, I want all opinions, good and bad!

For some reason I like the front plate, but have to disagree with Jrod, I didn't like the black trim all round and will probably do as Baz suggests and try it with red bumper trim.

I don't normally get involved in appearance mods, so this is new ground for me!

tri_longer

I've always liked the old black and silver plates, i just wish it wasn't illegal :rolleyes: as i would have done it to my Octavia and my 205.

Agree that the red stripe will definitley look better in this case.

daveholman

Classic plates look completely out of place on anything that isn't old enough to wear them legally. And anyway, why would you honestly want to drive round knowing that virtually every copper you see is going to pull you and give you a ticket, and the fact that you have new plates in the car doesn't wash as an excuse, the police aren't stupid, they're not going to believe the 'I've only just come back from a show and these are my show plates' routine when you're driving through a town at 10 o'clock at night. And plus the fact that the only people who think it'll look good are people who don't know about cars and herberts in Corsa's with 16 inch tail pipes and 43 inch wheels. Everyone else will just look at it and think 'why has he fitted old style plates to a new car'. You'll be met with looks of complete puzzlement everywhere you go. Sorry to be harsh but you did say fire away.

macaroni

Thanks for your honest input chaps. Again, please don't apologise, I expected to be flamed!

Seems some people do like them though and as for the police issue, I went to Brands Hatch on Sunday for the A1GP and there were loads of traffic police around and no-one batted an eyelid, although they may have had more pressing issues to think about.

I pick up my shiny new red strip later this week so I'll see how I think after fitting that.

If anyone wants some black trim strips to try, I have a couple spare...

Sign in to follow this