• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

1.6 To 1.9 Calipers

Ethos

Hi guys,

I've heard that the 1.9 calipers are much better than the 1.6s, also that it's simply a case of swapping them over. Still being able to use the 1.6 discs. Just had a look and found this site, which says this isn't actually possible;

http://www.ecosse205challenge.co.uk/technicalchat.htm

Any ideas? Just want more stopping power, I find the 1.6s really poor... and thought whacking the 1.9 calipers could be a good cheap upgrade.

Anthony

Use 1.9 calipers and caliper mounting bolts, and use 1.6 disks. Simple to do and works well in my experience.

You can't use 1.9 disks with 1.6 hubs as they're the wrong offset.

Ethos
Use 1.9 calipers and caliper mounting bolts, and use 1.6 disks. Simple to do and works well in my experience.

You can't use 1.9 disks with 1.6 hubs as they're the wrong offset.

Cool, this is what I wanted to hear ;)

Think I'm going to do the fluid as well as I've got no record of it being changed and We've had it nearly a year.

Now.... just to find out how to do it all :unsure::D

Might change it on and not tell the missus... see what she thinks as it's her daily drive!

Edited by Ethos

VisaGTi16v

Changing the calipers wont give any increase in braking power as you have the same master cylinder, same size disc etc. I would try some new pads correctly bedded in and new fluid first.

Atari Boy

My 205 has 1.6 callipers and I have been very happy with them, including some time at Cadwell and the ‘ring.

I am using OMP pads and dot 5.1 fluid.

Or perhaps I just don’t fast enough to notice how rubbish they are? :D

Anthony

In good condition 1.6 calipers are absolutely fine - the problem is that in my experience they don't seem to age well, and I've driven some with true awful brakes that swapping to 1.9 calipers has solved. I believe that the problem is caused by wear in the sliders on 1.6 calipers, in turn causing the pads not to pull straight on the disk.

Ethos

These I'm guessing are original so have done 131k+ probably a bit worse for wear.

So there will be no increased stopped power with the 1.9s? Seem to be getting mixed comments so far! Keep em coming :ph34r:

I've been offered some with good pads with 1.9 calipers, so will change em over with the fluid as well. For a cheap upgrade is has to be worth swapping over?

Also when people say they weigh a tonne, what are we talking about roughly?

Edited by Ethos

Ethos
My 205 has 1.6 callipers and I have been very happy with them, including some time at Cadwell and the ‘ring.

I am using OMP pads and dot 5.1 fluid.

Or perhaps I just don’t fast enough to notice how rubbish they are? :ph34r:

:D

I am coming from a vRS with 312mm at the front and 256mm at the back... so maybe I'm just being stupid!

Tom Fenton

The 1600 calipers in good order stop the car really quite well I think, I have them on my 1600 with all standard bits apart from braided flexible hoses and they are fine. If they are in tip top order then I'd just consider a pad upgrade, Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 would be the ones I'd go for.

Dan Ingram

I had 1.6 calipers on my last 205 with Ferodo DS2500 pads and 5.1 fluid and it stopped really well. I have 1.6 calipers on my current 205 and there a bit past it. The holes the bolts go through have ovaled which is the common problem. You get a lot of brake judder and a bit of a clunk when going in reverse. I'm changing to 1.9 calipers in the nest week or two. You don't get any more stopping power but there wont be any of the problems you do with the 1.6 ones. Only problem is there a bit heavier.

marc t

Does anyone know the part number for the 1.9 caliper mounting bolts? I did a search bit failed - sorry.

I have done the swap on a few before and found it gets rid of the annoying knock from the worn 1.6 calipers. I have some second hand 1.9 calipers (hopefully they are ok) but the dealer wants a vin number to price/order me some bolts but as my current one is a 1.6, I will end up with 1.6 bolts.

Thanks in advance

christopher
You get a lot of brake judder and a bit of a clunk when going in reverse

Is this really caused by worn bolt holes? You mean in the sliders?

I have just replaced my calipers with reconditioned ones the the balance was perfectly level on both sides. They brake nice but there is a clunk when I reverse.

:):P:):lol:

Ok I should have known this. But I have changed basically everything and still get a clunk

Edited by christopher

marc t

I was always told in the past it was caused by the pad moving in the caliper slightly. It doesn't do it forwards as the little springs tension it the right way but in reverse they move and hit the other side.

Maybe oe pads or a new spring kit might sort it but in the past I never bothered trying these as it was easier just to fit 1.9 calipers with pads that sort the 1.6 problem.

pug_ham
Does anyone know the part number for the 1.9 caliper mounting bolts? I did a search bit failed - sorry.

4405 17 04 CALIPER SCREW 12X1,50-35

Graham.

marc t

Thanks for the part numbers. I assume its 4405 17 and the 04 is a qty or have the dealers numbers got longer as I know years ago they were 5 or 6 digits?

pug_ham
Thanks for the part numbers. I assume its 4405 17 and the 04 is a qty

Yes.

Graham.

marc t

Thanks

tagy

I swapped from 1.6 to 1.9 calipers today.. it stopped a creaking sound I hard when pressing the pedal hard.. also stopped the clunking sound in reverse :)

Ethos
I swapped from 1.6 to 1.9 calipers today.. it stopped a creaking sound I hard when pressing the pedal hard.. also stopped the clunking sound in reverse :)

Find the braking power any better?

tagy
Find the braking power any better?

no, but now that they don't creak I have more confidence to use them fully.

It is quite easy to do and well worth swaping if you are having any issues with the 1.6 calipers.

Maybe you have something wrong with your current setup, because they should be fine for a standard car.. I can lock the wheels fairly easily if I try at 30mph.

Edited by tagy

pug_ham
I swapped from 1.6 to 1.9 calipers today.. it stopped a creaking sound I hard when pressing the pedal hard..

Hmm, I have a creaking on the STDT when braking, never thougth it was due to the calipers which are working perfectly & don't even have seized bleed nipples. :)

I've got a selection of uprated pads for the Bendix calipers but I'll have to get some pads for the Girling ones & fit them to see if that also cures the noises.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this